MySQL database size problems - host suggestions?

Irish Cowboy

howdy all - sorry to clutter up with too many questions, but the upgrade to the current IPB version created a problem: even after trimming back, our MySQL database is now a bit under 1.5 GB, and our shared server has a 750 MB cap.  i literally don't know how to get anywhere near there without losing valuable post data...we've just under 500k posts so no idea why it's that big, but i don't know what else to do.

i don't believe Invision still does small individual hosting (far as i know), can anyone recommend a decent priced host with more database space?  we've got like 20 GB of server space and use maybe 2, this is our only issue currently.  appreciate any help here, as always. 

I suggest you stat the size of each table to see where the bulk of the size is coming from.  It may not be posts, it may be something else...

I'd suggest you double check the size of the core_logs table.  My live site had 6.9 gb's of logs here about a month ago.  If that's what is causing your issue, just truncate the core_logs table and update your settings to prune logs at a faster rate.

• 5 weeks later...

Look in phpmyadmin for tables starting with anything other than your SQL database table prefix, especially orig_ or x_utf_. For instance, if your prefix is ibf_ and you have copies of every table with the prefix x_utf_ibf_ you can delete all of those copies (which were created by the UTF-8 converter).

• 3 months later...
On 23/10/2017 at 5:10 AM, Aiwa said:

I suggest you stat the size of each table to see where the bulk of the size is coming from.  It may not be posts, it may be something else...

I'd suggest you double check the size of the core_logs table.  My live site had 6.9 gb's of logs here about a month ago.  If that's what is causing your issue, just truncate the core_logs table and update your settings to prune logs at a faster rate.

I apologise for jumping in on the discussion but I also have the same problems with larger db sizes since I upgraded, which files am I safe to truncate? and how do I adjust settings to prune logs faster? Where is this setting? Any help would be appreciated.

On 21/11/2017 at 1:55 PM, bfarber said:

Look in phpmyadmin for tables starting with anything other than your SQL database table prefix, especially orig_ or x_utf_. For instance, if your prefix is ibf_ and you have copies of every table with the prefix x_utf_ibf_ you can delete all of those copies (which were created by the UTF-8 converter).

Hi bfarber, I trust that you are well? 

Please see my screenshot below and please confirm if I am SAFE to DELETE ALL of the tables starting with orig_ibf xxx (there are quite a few)

Origtables.thumb.png.188fb0258a3fdac25b5c8ceac40b587c.png

The question you may want to ask is should i be using a shared hosting account as your forum grows the more problems you will have...

The next problem you will run into is Mod_Security which you cant control on a shared hosting account.

As your forum grows you will need to migrate to a better hosting package.

I've currently moved from a shared business plan to a VPS with godaddy but theres other options out there.

This was only pointed out to me and i've not used them before...https://www.cheap-vps-hosting.co.uk/dedicated-servers

15 hours ago, Jamer said:

Hi bfarber, I trust that you are well? 

Please see my screenshot below and please confirm if I am SAFE to DELETE ALL of the tables starting with orig_ibf xxx (there are quite a few)

Origtables.thumb.png.188fb0258a3fdac25b5c8ceac40b587c.png

Yes, orig_* tables are backups generated by the UTF8 converter. Just to be safe though, download a backup of your database before you remove them.

Archived