PHP 7 or above with new update

So we have a new update. I'm getting the following at the bottom of my passed system check: You are running PHP version 5.6.30. While this version is compatible, we recommend version 7.0.0 or above.

For those of you using the latest version with 7 or above, how's that working for you?

2 minutes ago, Subseven said:

Thanks a lot guys. Is there anything I should do after changing my php version? I already did the latest IPB upgrade today.

Here is something that you will need to do, make sure to update your CRON if your running it. I have switched to a new version and forgot to change that. I wish IPB would put a small reminder in red or something letting you know to make sure to update it after a change or it will not run.

2 minutes ago, nodle said:

Here is something that you will need to do, make sure to update your CRON if your running it. I have switched to a new version and forgot to change that. I wish IPB would put a small reminder in red or something letting you know to make sure to update it after a change or it will not run.

There is no direct connection between CRONs and the PHP version. 

But regarding the reminder: the ACP will indeed tell you after a while when the background task don’t run anymore. 

15 minutes ago, opentype said:

There is no direct connection between CRONs and the PHP version. 

But regarding the reminder: the ACP will indeed tell you after a while when the background task don’t run anymore. 

There actually is:

/opt/alt/php71/usr/bin/php

19 minutes ago, Subseven said:

Thanks. I killed my cron because SG only allows it to run once per minute...what a crock that is.

I think CRON is set for one minute by default. From the ACP.

You should set the cron to run the following command every minute:
/opt/alt/php71/usr/bin/php -d memory_limit=-1 -d max_execution_time=0

18 hours ago, nodle said:

I think CRON is set for one minute by default. From the ACP.

You should set the cron to run the following command every minute:
/opt/alt/php71/usr/bin/php -d memory_limit=-1 -d max_execution_time=0

What exactly will that cron do and how often?

I am updated on my PHP to 7.1.2. Seems snappy. :)

3 hours ago, Subseven said:

What exactly will that cron do and how often?

I am updated on my PHP to 7.1.2. Seems snappy. :)

If you setup your site in the ACP under > Advanced Configuration > if you setup to use CRON it will give you a command line to setup your CRON with that needs to be run every minute. the command line code is unique to your site. Instead of it running by using traffic, it will use  CRON tasks instead.

18 minutes ago, Subseven said:

Thank you. I just found out I can run it every 30 minutes. So what would I put in for that?

You better use one of the other two options (run with traffic / run by web service call) in that case. There are task which should run every minute, so 30 minutes is not good enough. 

4 minutes ago, opentype said:

You better use one of the other two options (run with traffic / run by web service call) in that case. There are task which should run every minute, so 30 minutes is not good enough. 

Looks like I picked the wrong host. SG. Grrrr. How much is the cloud with IPS I wonder?

5 minutes ago, opentype said:

It really doesn’t matter much which option you pick as long as you get enough task calls in the end. You don’t need to switch hosts just because of CRON limits. 

So then do I just leave it alone?

And hey. THANKS! I really appreciate your help.

5 minutes ago, Mark H said:

You really need to have those tasks run by CRON every minute, 30 minutes will not be good.

EasyCron can do this on their first paid tier, which is only $8.00 USD annually,  a very low cost to make sure it is done right.

Mark. I'll get easy cron right now. How exactly do I set up the cron once I do?

Go to the ACP and find the Task Method page (use live search if need be) and choose "Web Service". You will be shown a URL you need to use. (Save the page at that point, but do not forget to activate the job at easyCron!)

Enter that URL at EasyCron, using "every minute" as the time trigger, and save the job. Once it's saved it should start working immediately. There's also a "manual test" button you can use to be sure.

Archived