Prevent Spam. How?

knightsystems

Hi there,

getting much spam posts in the last few days. Gone that far that I had to disable the registration function. 

IPS Spam Service detects not everything. ReCaptcha2 is enabled but they still can register.root_September23_1474640712_CWSpam_Service_Logs_-_Google_Chrome.jpgroot_September23_1474640639_CWMembers_-_Google_Chrome.jpg

Do you know how I can set a Filter for korean language to be denied?root_September23_1474640489_CWGeneral_Discussion_-_Sondors_Owner_Forum_-_Google_.jpg 

They post a answer in every topic, creating new ones and so on...

Never had spam until now...

Dealing with spam can be a time consuming process. What I do is I ban the IP of the spammer from the IPS Suite then go to my host Cpanel and add the IP's their too. As I said it is a time consuming process but pays off over time. 

It's an real person that is doing it, We all going to get it no matter what. I'm lucky that my Spam Service detected two users IP/email and automatic banned them. Also you can great and rule that allows to do that from the Rules lite.

All we can do is to slow them down but we never going to stop it. And yes also block there IP, But that won't stop them joining.  

Use the question at registration containing mixed characters from the Latin and Cyrillic. This question is understood by normal people, but it is inscrutable for machines.

Here is an example. Copy and paste this text to your question.

Тhе rеsult оf соllесtiоn оf numbеrs sеvеn рlus еight еquаls

Reply probably will write it himself.
This text is incomprehensible to all bot machines.

16 hours ago, Adlago said:

Use the question at registration containing mixed characters from the Latin and Cyrillic. This question is understood by normal people, but it is inscrutable for machines.

Here is an example. Copy and paste this text to your question.

Тhе rеsult оf соllесtiоn оf numbеrs sеvеn рlus еight еquаls

Reply probably will write it himself.
This text is incomprehensible to all bot machines.

Implemented this, does not help at all. 

Got even worse today. 12 Registrations, and everyone spams about 50 new Topics. (750 Topics in under one hour.)  - IPS Spam detects literally nothing at all.

Need some restrictions, like first ten posts have to be verified by an mod/admin. Ideas how to do that?

18 minutes ago, knightsystems said:

Need some restrictions, like first ten posts have to be verified by an mod/admin. Ideas how to do that?

I created up a newly registered group of members called "rookies".  On my forum rookies are not entitled to all aspects of my site.   After members register they are in the rookie group and after 5 approved posts by mods they automatically become members with full privileges.  I also set a limit of 3 posts allowed per visit for rookies.  Thus a rookie's spam will never get posted to the site.

I also have a specific question to my registration process that must be answered as it is specific to hockey.  Those that are not hockey fans generally wouldn't be interested in bothering to register at my site.   Depending on what your forum is about you might be able to add something like that.

6 hours ago, InsideEdge said:

I created up a newly registered group of members called "rookies".  On my forum rookies are not entitled to all aspects of my site.   After members register they are in the rookie group and after 5 approved posts by mods they automatically become members with full privileges.  I also set a limit of 3 posts allowed per visit for rookies.  Thus a rookie's spam will never get posted to the site.

I also have a specific question to my registration process that must be answered as it is specific to hockey.  Those that are not hockey fans generally wouldn't be interested in bothering to register at my site.   Depending on what your forum is about you might be able to add something like that.

Like InsideEdge said using the Question and Answer system will help but try make it not to hard or easy for people and the answer maybe have more then one added just encase and having the main member group as source of validating spammers can help but also does but off members if see the posts being validated, its case of getting right and reducing the spammers will reduce sooner or later but you will get the odd few and if you know how block email address like .ru normal is spammers but this never the case. 

• 1 month later...

Hi. 

I'm currently plagued by spammers. 

Its always the same sort of thing registrations via a gmail address, different IP address each time and posting Korean spam links in multiple new threads  

are there and more suggestions to battling this?

i have a number of random of topic specific questions to answer on registration and CAPTCHA 2 enabled 

any other ideas to try out? 

My moderator team are banning 5/10 accounts per day  

You can make it so any new registrations need to be authorized by admin or moderator.  I have it set so a new registrant are required to add a location, their interests and also the Q&A. I get an email for every new registration and can see the info they registered with, and it's easy to tell what's spam or even a troll. (You can also look at their Profile to determine spam or troll too) They get promptly deleted.

I used CleanTalk.org for several months and it was working reasonably well.  Until one night a large number of spambots (mostly from South Korea) got through within a very short time frame and posted over a thousand messages before we were able to intervene.  After that, I removed CleanTalk and went back to email and manual validation.  It's a bit of a pain, but it's the only reliable means I've found to catch spammers.  I look at the IP address, email address, and username in Google and StopForumSpam, I look at the location of the IP, and check to see if the IP is a known proxy server.  I've modified my ACP to make this easier.  And it's usually pretty easy to spot a spammer in this fashion.  

..Al

On 4.11.2016 at 2:39 AM, iacas said:

What's it cost?

$8/year? It integrates really well with the IPS registration process?

No (or really really few) false positives?

No false positives. Only 1-2 manual Spam posts with Fresh IP and Mail came through. Its a plugin and integrates without even noticing it. I banned South Korea and China with CleanTalk (most spammers came from there). they even have a bad word list. So I locked many japanese/chinese words which they used often. 

Archived