Any tips on how to improve the speed?

3 minutes ago, Elena-Viorica said:

This has been discussed before. They are prone to suspending cloud forums for the slightest DDoS attacks. This has happened to one of my friends and at least two big YouTubers I know. I've been DDoSed before and my host mitigated the attack for just a few extra dollars. IPS Cloud is out of the question for my current needs, so I would appreciate if people would stop recommending it to me. It has been recommended three times in this thread and several times in another thread. I have purchased a license, I want to self-host my community. Thank you.

Members are NOT allowed to recommend or talk about hosting other then IPB Cloud. I personally don't like Cloud myself and I'm not using it but I can't discuss it since it's the rules of IPB to not to discuss   

6 hours ago, Elena-Viorica said:

This has been discussed before. They are prone to suspending cloud forums for the slightest DDoS attacks. This has happened to one of my friends and at least two big YouTubers I know. I've been DDoSed before and my host mitigated the attack for just a few extra dollars. IPS Cloud is out of the question for my current needs, so I would appreciate if people would stop recommending it to me. It has been recommended three times in this thread and several times in another thread. I have purchased a license, I want to self-host my community. Thank you.

Please don't spread false information, we are not prone to suspending on the slightest attacks, we mitigate attacks each and everyday, in most cases customers are never aware of them, as they are handled without issue. However when the attack is large enough to affect network performance greatly, or goes on long enough to hamper stability, we will suspend the site, just as most providers do. ^_^ 

If anyone has any specific questions on this or needs any further clarification, please submit a ticket to customer service and we would be happy to clarify any concerns.

Thank you

@Elena-Viorica

we had something similar in an other topic about your hosting company - what you pay there is to much what you get for ... and it is just shared hosting not more - they can name it whatever they like but it doesn't change the product itself, as well what i don't like there, i cannot find any info about the hardware what they use for the shared hosting and how many clients at one server

For the money what you invest there you get a good VPS for the same money - and you will have more fun with it for sure - but you need to learn how to service the system or you have somebody who will help you.

i had different software too and tried on the same server what i have - IPS4 is a very good & fast system if you have a correct setup & good service to the system 

For me cloud service is also not interessting, but to run a own server or vps you need time and some knowledge about it and you always must read if there is something new - but it makes fun to have everything possible as you like it ;) 

16 minutes ago, m@t said:

but you need to learn how to service the system

Which I'm not willing to do because it's just not a thing I am good at...

17 minutes ago, m@t said:

or you have somebody who will help you.

Which would cost me a lot extra besides the price of the VPS...

18 minutes ago, m@t said:

For me cloud service is also not interessting,

I don't have anything against IPS's cloud service, but I would rather self-host my community. Let's just call it personal preference.

19 minutes ago, Elena-Viorica said:

Which I'm not willing to do because it's just not a thing I am good at...

then you have 3 possibilities:

- you take it as it is or try to discuss with you hosting provider about the problems
- you change to another shared hosting company, which is maybe better 
- you invest a little bit more & change to a managed VPS hosting / managed servers are to expensive

19 minutes ago, Elena-Viorica said:

I don't have anything against IPS's cloud service, but I would rather self-host my community. Let's just call it personal preference.

this is what was the meaning of my message :thumbsup: it is a personal decision, to use it or not - for me it will also never be a option

I'm going to move to a VPS next week. Can you tell me what is more important: the number of CPU cores or the number of GB of RAM? Cause I have to choose between a VPS with 3 cores and 2 GB of RAM and a VPS with 2 cores and 4 GB of RAM. The prices are similar. Both are managed. Which one should I choose?

53 minutes ago, Elena-Viorica said:

I'm going to move to a VPS next week. Can you tell me what is more important: the number of CPU cores or the number of GB of RAM? Cause I have to choose between a VPS with 3 cores and 2 GB of RAM and a VPS with 2 cores and 4 GB of RAM. The prices are similar. Both are managed. Which one should I choose?

please very important - before you purchase - check on which hardware is the offer and how many clients are on one server 

3 cores or 2 / 2 or 4 GB ram - gives you no information if it is good or bad - ask for all (!) information there - and also very important the offer must be with fix guarantee resources - no overbooking 

Better you spend some days & hours more before you have the next bad offer - i know it's not so easy but it would be important that you are happy

Here is a nice topic with some tips:

2 hours ago, m@t said:

3 cores or 2 / 2 or 4 GB ram - gives you no information if it is good or bad - ask for all (!) information there - and also very important the offer must be with fix guarantee resources - no overbooking 

I asked them. Their reply was:

3ghz cores (3 cores... or 4 cores if I extend my budget a little)
DDR3 RAM (2 GB... or 3 GB if I extend my budget a little)
Not ssd

Only a few clients per server

Unfortunately that's all I can afford at the moment. Will that do for decent speed?

Managed is always often only 10 hours work per month or 5 hours, depends how much you pay ...  - and they use it for simple package updates which you can do most of the time also by yourself with simple clicks and as mentioned from @ASTRAPI they don't adjust for you what you would like to have most of the time .... it is important to talk with an hoster in clear words per mail, that you have something written if they say after some time, we have never said - often at first setup & order you can try to get the most from an hoster, but then you must know with a definitive list what you want 

or if you want a php upgrade or full distribution upgrade you have to pay for remote hands work - good is always that you have a self control also a little bit - maybe after some time you learn a little bit how it works - and also look that you have a tool for simple changes (plesk, cpanel, ...)

@Elena-Viorica Before purchase read carefully trough the contract which is included and what not  - it is very very difficult to find a good offer/hoster which gives you a good product for that what you pay for 

Archived