New Member Default Notifications

PacmanDo

We would like new members to have the default set to "Receive notifications" on Topics they start as well as topics the reply in. How do we set that.

The opposite is the default now.

We prefer they be able to remove those setting if they want rather than having to opt-in on those aspects. Most never realize they can opt-in.

16 hours ago, PacmanDo said:

We would like new members to have the default set to "Receive notifications" on Topics they start as well as topics the reply in. How do we set that.

The opposite is the default now.

We prefer they be able to remove those setting if they want rather than having to opt-in on those aspects. Most never realize they can opt-in.

You mean this

Capturar1.png

and this

Capturar.png

?

On 1/14/2016 at 5:02 AM, Adriano Faria said:

You mean this

Capturar1.png

and this

Capturar.png

?

No, @Adriano Faria that is only the fix if it is set as the default.  I and many others want new members to have the default set to "Receive notifications" on Topics they start. Currently it is not the default, they must select it. Most miss it among all the buttons and options.

1 hour ago, PacmanDo said:

The problem is it is only for new members. We need a default setting for it for all members that they can opt out of if they wish.

If you want to alter existing members, you can run the SQL query

UPDATE core_members SET auto_track='{"content":1,"comments":0,"method":"immediate"}';

but please be aware that doing so will overwrite any previous settings that they might have. If you only want to change it if they haven't changed the setting themself, you could use

UPDATE core_members SET auto_track='{"content":1,"comments":0,"method":"immediate"}' WHERE auto_track='0' OR auto_track='';

instead. Disclaimer: I haven't actually run these queries, but I think they should work. I would recommend using an offline tool to run them because they will probably take a long time to run.

6 hours ago, Colonel_mortis said:

If you want to alter existing members, you can run the SQL query

UPDATE core_members SET auto_track='{"content":1,"comments":0,"method":"immediate"}';

but please be aware that doing so will overwrite any previous settings that they might have. If you only want to change it if they haven't changed the setting themself, you could use

UPDATE core_members SET auto_track='{"content":1,"comments":0,"method":"immediate"}' WHERE auto_track='0' OR auto_track='';

instead. Disclaimer: I haven't actually run these queries, but I think they should work. I would recommend using an offline tool to run them because they will probably take a long time to run.

I did run the first one and also set the comments to 1: it ran in under 1 second and worked like it should.

But you are right: this setting should be set by default for new members.

An option to set this as default would be really beneficial for communities and could always be turned off by each member if needed. There was previously an option to set this in the ACP that didn't seem to produce the desired effect, but it appears that the option itself was removed with 4.1.

• 2 months later...

Archived