Switched to 4.1

Ugur Kaya

Hello,

I'm very happy with the progress that has been done today i've switched my xenforo community to IPS 4.1.I also fixed some issues byself and all looks good now.

My community is accessable under Here and if anyone would like to switch can reply here so i can help.

Regards

2 minutes ago, AndyF said:

Looks good. :)

I like the way you've taken advantage to use the menu to have some 'quick access' links to various sections of your community too.

Thank you very much.

I wanted that everyone have a overview and don't need to scroll down.

Working and looking fine :)

Has conversion tools for 4.1 released or you have followed path Xenforo->IPB 3.4.8->IPS4.1 ?

I realised that guests can post to forum. Is it intentional ?

and final question, why deosnt the forum URLs in menu do not have names in it ?

2 minutes ago, ABGenc said:

Working and looking fine :)

Has conversion tools for 4.1 released or you have followed path Xenforo->IPB 3.4.8->IPS4.1 ?

I realised that guests can post to forum. Is it intentional ?

and final question, why deosnt the forum URLs in menu do not have names in it ?

Thank you very much.

First i've installed IPB 3.4.7 once i was done with the conversion from xenforo i've upgraded to 4.1.

I had some issues after upgrade avatars were gone and redirect links weren't working perfectly.

However i was able to fix them.

Regarding the names in the menu url they have been removed by Menu Manager.

Those are normal considering two successive upgrades. Glad you fixed them. I had a redirection problem after upgrade with the scripts but was able to fix them quickly. ( Thanks to Support's fast response ) .

For the convertes sites, the only problem lies on internal links within posts . Although they are redirected, the redirection scripts should be kept for them forever which is very hard or nearly impossible to fix / change.

If the menu manager has removed name of the forums, wondering if it be considered as a bug or is it by design ?

Not : Ellerine sağlık :)

1 minute ago, ABGenc said:

Those are normal considering two successive upgrades. Glad you fixed them. I had a redirection problem after upgrade with the scripts but was able to fix them quickly. ( Thanks to Support's fast response ) .

For the convertes sites, the only problem lies on internal links within posts . Although they are redirected, the redirection scripts should be kept for them forever which is very hard or nearly impossible to fix / change.

If the menu manager has removed name of the forums, wondering if it be considered as a bug or is it by design ?

Not : Ellerine sağlık :)

I had a problem with the redirection script as well it has only redirected if there was index.php/ before otherwise it wasn't the case.

Not : Yardimci olabilirim isterseniz :sorcerer:

1 minute ago, Ugur Kaya said:

I had a problem with the redirection script as well it has only redirected if there was index.php/ before otherwise it wasn't the case.

Not : Yardimci olabilirim isterseniz :sorcerer:

Sorry folks, Turkish speaking users not easily found :)

Not : Yardım bahane maksat muhabbet olsun :sorcerer:

6 minutes ago, Ugur Kaya said:

Going back to the subject,

Yes redirection scripts only support default url forms. If a friendly URL option / plugin is used it gets harder to redirect ( I had to use a Rewrite rule )

Just now, ABGenc said:

Going back to the subject,

Yes redirection scripts only support default url forms. If a friendly URL option / plugin is used it gets harder to redirect ( I had to use a Rewrite rule )

Yes some community software may have different seo scheming.

3 minutes ago, Ugur Kaya said:

Yes some community software may have different seo scheming.

Once I was using SMF and Xenforo was one of my options before I decided to go for IPB. What made you change and what are your opinions about the new software ?

43 minutes ago, ABGenc said:

Once I was using SMF and Xenforo was one of my options before I decided to go for IPB. What made you change and what are your opinions about the new software ?

I liked the notification feature most of all it's amazing.I switched because i wanted to try something new and different.It simply feels more modern.

but in terms of " MODS " to the forum isn't Xenforo has more mods into making the forum more unique  than IPB ? I love IPB and everything but I have been seeing mods and features/plugins on Xenforo that made me go like it's sexy and I like it and I wish it was on IPB

9 hours ago, ABGenc said:

Considering IPS 4.x's age, lack of mods is a bit acceptable and hope the Number of mods and developers will increase in time

I agree...to an extent. That IPB4 is still young and new but it also doesn't really seem like our add-on numbers are growing too fast though(Even the 3.X line up for years seems a bit low when you look at competing platforms 3rd party arena).
One thing I really wish had more variety is not so much mods...but themes.

But then the lack of plugins could also in some ways be a good sign as well. Perhaps many of the other competing software plugins are simply to re-create features that come default in the IPS Suite and therefore don't need to be created at all?

There is only a couple features I don't already have for my 4.1.x board that I wish I did but we don't have plugins for.

59 minutes ago, Izaya Orihara said:

I agree...to an extent. That IPB4 is still young and new but it also doesn't really seem like our add-on numbers are growing too fast though(Even the 3.X line up for years seems a bit low when you look at competing platforms 3rd party arena).
One thing I really wish had more variety is not so much mods...but themes.

I have the impression that the number of developers has an affect on that. There are really good and high level developers but they are not much in number . Added to that frequent and fast changes on the software ( 4.1 is released in just 7 months ) might be holding the developers cause new releases are bringing built-in features that were once within plugins.

If 4.1 becomes stable and lifetime is a bit longer, than I think and hope mods can ben released faster.

Your five middle menu items - modules to other languages - have no submenu items. So when you click on them, nothing happens - you don't go to another page, you don't get any other options. You need to double-click to make anything happen. 

Also, your 'unread content' link gives an error for guests - I've already filed a bug report about that. 

On 11/8/2015, 3:00:34, Ugur Kaya said:

Hello,

I'm very happy with the progress that has been done today i've switched my xenforo community to IPS 4.1.I also fixed some issues byself and all looks good now.

My community is accessable under Here and if anyone would like to switch can reply here so i can help.

Regards

@Ugur Kaya The site you posted looks like it's running on xenForo. Did you end up switching back? If so, why?

I've been thinking of switching from xenForo to IPB because of the CMS. I'm very interested to hear about your experience in switching. :)

10 hours ago, PrettyPixels said:

@Ugur Kaya The site you posted looks like it's running on xenForo. Did you end up switching back? If so, why?

I've been thinking of switching from xenForo to IPB because of the CMS. I'm very interested to hear about your experience in switching. :)

I've switched back to xenForo.I've been using xenForo since years so it feels more comfortable for me.

5 hours ago, Ugur Kaya said:

I've switched back to xenForo.I've been using xenForo since years so it feels more comfortable for me.

Last time the reason I switched back was xenforo was just so much simpler for me as a admin, I could change things with a few in the templates, which I could never do with IPB, so even though my members prefered IPB, I made the switch back to xenforo.

I'm starting to regret this decision in the long run and wish I'd have just stuck with it.

Archived