How many of you are using MySQL 5.6? How?

OK, the new versions of IPS recommends MySQL 5.6.  What improvements are those of you using it seeing?  What distro and repos are you using to get it?  

The current Debian stable (Jessie) doesn't have it.  RHEL 7.x and the corresponding CentOS don't have it.   I'm still running Debian Wheezy and am debating if I should upgrade to Jessie or migrate to a non LTS Ubuntu server then upgrade that to the new LTS when it comes out.  Security support for Wheezy is going to run out before the next Ubuntu LTS is released.  

I think it's somewhat insane that Invision is recommending a MySQL version that isn't going to make it to most the main server OS distros for several more years.  Frankly, I suspect they do most of their development and testing on Windows and don't really get how the Linux / Unix world works.  

What are you all doing about this?

I recommend upgrading asap to Ubunutu 14.04 LTS in order to have a fast updated system that is as its said longterm supported.

The main reason why i have split up from any other UNIX system than Ubuntu is the delay of patches as soon as zero day issues and exploits are discovered.
While ubuntu always deliver the update within 1 week, debian took more than 3 weeks. (known from my last days using debian).

The mysql version is not really faster, one of the first benchmarks:
https://www.percona.com/blog/2013/02/18/is-mysql-5-6-slower-than-mysql-5-5/

The today's version of 5.6 should be faster.
But mysql offers a lot more options on updating, that's probably only interesting if you heavily work with mysql.

But same goes with PHP, the recommend state is commonly today >= 5.5. Thats only a recommendation, but not required.
That means until they really announce that a version is deprecated and no longer supported, you should be fine using mysql 5.5.

I hope this may help you.

Regards

1 hour ago, Michael Schneider said:

The mysql version is not really faster, one of the first benchmarks:
https://www.percona.com/blog/2013/02/18/is-mysql-5-6-slower-than-mysql-5-5/

The today's version of 5.6 should be faster.
But mysql offers a lot more options on updating, that's probably only interesting if you heavily work with mysql.

So there's no code or queries specifically optimized for 5.6?

Debian offers security support for all of the packages that end up in the Ubuntu "universe" repo.  I use a fair number of them, phpmyadmin, dokuwiki, pure-ftpd, etc, and would have to switch to supporting code downloaded from upstreams myself if I were to use to Ubuntu.  I don't know if Ubuntu is faster with security fixes or not but if they are, it's because they offer security support for about 20,000 packages fewer than Debian.

With Debian you don't have to worry about security support for anything other than whatever commercial software you might be running.  With Ubuntu, there's official security support for a couple thousand packages at most.  If you use anything from Universe on a public-facing server, you're asking for trouble.

The only reason I would consider migrating to Ubuntu is for MySQL 5.6, and that would have to be the most recent release.  

2 hours ago, Velvet Elvis said:

OK, the new versions of IPS recommends MySQL 5.6.  What improvements are those of you using it seeing?  What distro and repos are you using to get it?  

The current Debian stable (Jessie) doesn't have it.  RHEL 7.x and the corresponding CentOS don't have it.   I'm still running Debian Wheezy and am debating if I should upgrade to Jessie or migrate to a non LTS Ubuntu server then upgrade that to the new LTS when it comes out.  Security support for Wheezy is going to run out before the next Ubuntu LTS is released.  

I think it's somewhat insane that Invision is recommending a MySQL version that isn't going to make it to most the main server OS distros for several more years.  Frankly, I suspect they do most of their development and testing on Windows and don't really get how the Linux / Unix world works.  

What are you all doing about this?

You know that you can install the Mysql version you want right? You don't need to use the one that comes with the Distro.

I use Centos 6.6 that comes with Mysql 5.5 and i have update it to MariaDB 10.1(Its based on Mysql 5.6 and 5.7).

Archived