Nginx as reverse proxy to Apache and IPS 4 performance

Just use Nginx directly. There's no need to involve Apache at all these days.

Apache is slightly better at serving dynamic content, and using the reverse proxy setup, you can also retain all htaccess re-write rules for your server, many other software apps reply on this as well as IPS too. So while you could use nginx alone or even apache alone, both on the current versions work very well and are much improved, doing nginx as a reverse proxy for apache is the best of both worlds. 

In what way is this true? Sure, apache has a built-in PHP interpreter, but php5-fpm is just as fast and can scale to far higher loads than mod_php can.

You know you can also use php5-fpm with Apache right?

People tend to compare Nginx + php-fpm vs Apache, when they should compare Nginx + php-fpm vs Apache + php-fpm.

You know you can also use php5-fpm with Apache right?

People tend to compare Nginx + php-fpm vs Apache, when they should compare Nginx + php-fpm vs Apache + php-fpm.

You can, I did it for a short while. But in that case, you might as well go the full way and use nginx.

You can, I did it for a short while. But in that case, you might as well go the full way and use nginx.

But you may want to use the mods that Apache have. For example i can use the mods of Nginx and Apache ;)

I use Nginx and Apache(mod_php) with htaccess disabled and my site is a bit faster than when i used nginx only solution.

Archived