Is there an ETA on when replying to statuses in widget will be implemented?

chilihead

It was either a decision not to include it in the widget or a huge oversight.

Either way, it's a "standard feature" which should have one of the highest priorities to be added back into the default system, I know of others looking at implementation via 3rd party apps but this should be a default IPS feature,

Yes, I was hoping to get an official answer as to when or if this is coming. Didn't want to bury it in the "3.4 missing" topic. They like when you start new ones. So hopefully they see this. ;)

Can either of you briefly explain what this is? 

Not sure I understand. 

Thanks

Simple. In 3.4, on the right, you have a status feed widget. You can start new statues there, and reply to current. In 4.0, can't reply, have to visit member's page to reply to it there.

• Management

We've not yet committed to the best approach to implement this, but it will likely just be a text field -- i.e.: unformatted reply. If you wanted to go all out with RTE, you'd go to the full status page. 

There's no immediate ETA that we'd be prepared to commit to, but it is in our sights. 

It just needs to work as it did before, text was unformatted but as long as you can reply to a status and view replies to them all on the widget and without having to go to the profile page, then it's good by me.

Kudos for the update, thanks Lindy.

We've not yet committed to the best approach to implement this, but it will likely just be a text field -- i.e.: unformatted reply. If you wanted to go all out with RTE, you'd go to the full status page. 

There's no immediate ETA that we'd be prepared to commit to, but it is in our sights. 

Thanks @Lindy if I could make one request it would be, if just a text field, at least make links turn to hyperlinks please. :) The way replies work in 3.4 is fine, but members often ask questions and the person posts a link that is text only and then they ask why it didn't link. Cutting and pasting is annoying. If that could be a hyperlink it would be a great leap ahead imo.

Thanks for the reply as well.

PS. Oh and emoticons should parse imo. ;)

The two annoyances from the 3.4 reply box. :)

• Management

Can I ask (if it will be unformatted) that it be a toggle switch to use it @Lindy? My users have been comfortable with the change and I would hate for things to not format.

Toggle what? Replies to status updates altogether? I don't believe we've considered that one way or another yet. 

This is kind of why we don't just "do stuff" though. From the user end, you want a quick reply to status updates. From our end, it doesn't work like that. To do formatting, we'd have to do the RTE, which then means we'd have to load it in a modal / popup and at that point, it's just silly - go to the full status page as it's no longer all that quick, right? We'd then get "can't you just put a text box there? Then, we can easily do unformatted quick replies, but then you run into endless requests like "can you do unformatted + emoticons + hyperlinks + in-line attachments + <kitchen sink>?" Which brings you back full circle to formatting. Then, invariably and understandably -- "ew, can I shut that off?" :lol: You can understand why I'm bald!

When we get closer, it will go through the vetting process where we'll try to cover all the angles and find the best approach to fit the most people. 

Is that all? ;) 

Emoticons - not likely to happen. Will see on the others.

LOL.

On emoticons I wouldn't need to see the list of them, just to have them parse if using the code would be ideal, especially since they work from the member page directly. Seeing a wink code looks like a bug, especially since they can be viewed directly from the member page where they work if posted from there. Continuity, really.

A paperclip to allow attachments/images from URL there too would be nice since a lot of people like to reply with an image or meme these days!

Yes I see what you mean about piling on options this and that. ;) 

When we get closer, it will go through the vetting process where we'll try to cover all the angles and find the best approach to fit the most people. 

Excellent. Thanks 

@Morrigan - I can appreciate that your users are pretty settled but it's something we have mentioned for the past year that I can recall (way back in early beta) - users want and demand one click solutions.

The way the quick reply function worked for 3.4.X worked for everyone, now additional steps have been added to reply to status updates.

I love what IPS does with the software, always have and will avidly support a company I know looks after it's client base (even when they get things wrong). I know a solution is forthcoming, which is great. I agree with @chilihead though, mentions, smileys and links should be the minimum requirement for the reply function.

In the meantime, I'm off to put a donation forward to support a developer create a solution now.

@Lindy Wait, I've got it! Use the mobile editor. It's a simple box until clicked into and then has very limited toolbar options but everything parses per usual.

How obstructive is that? And to boot, the programming is done on the actual editor. Remove notifications option making it even smaller, match width to widget.

ips_mobile_editor_closed.thumb.png.d6e03

ips_mobile_editor_open.thumb.png.73367d6

^

Weird, that pic (image error above) was there yesterday. I even checked back and it was there. Some bug in IPS, I had removed an image and added a new one, and it saved fine. Then I went to post a new topic and the image was in it. Weird! So I clicked edit and removed it. I see today removing it from the other post removed it from here. How it was posted to another topic no idea.

Well here is the mobile editor, notifications field removed. That would work perfectly in status widget replies imo.

ips_mobile_editor_open.thumb.png.1188f9e

True they are quick relies, but in 4 the editor was upgraded to the full. Directly from the member page you can post and reply with full, so from the widget, it's more of a continuity thing. Members will be used to the full features. Smaller of course, which is why I suggested the mobile editor. And "Insert media" seems important to me here, think how status updates are used on social media. Memes, images, etc. Bold, italic, and underline are way less important if space is an issue in the widget reply box. Parsing of links, mentions, emoticons, and a media upload, a lot more important. 

Personally, I don't see the need for images and emoticons in status updates, the way it was in 3 was perfect as our members would just put an immediate comment in there & others could reply on the front page which would list the replies on the front page without the need for going to the members profile.

Also, if a member posted a status update directly on another members profile, it would not be shown on the front page.

If members want to post a more detailed status update, we would have recommended our members to put a post in their blog.

For me, bring back the version 3 one exactly as it was!

Archived