I´m sad!!!!

simplymesobe5280

Since the first beta up to 4.0.7 i spent my time and money to help testing these versions, reporting the noticed issues and giving access to my server that your team can reproduce issues. Now on 4.0.7 i get such a message from YOU STAFF on a ticket about a critical issue

Hello,
Unfortunately we do not support test sites. Should you experience this upon upgrade of your live site, please let us know and we can take a look and resolve the issues with content embedding for you.
Kind Regards,

Marc Stridgen
Invision Power Services, Inc.

MANY THANKS !!!

On the one hand, I could almost understand being 'ing pissed' because they didn't help you...it is a supported version.

However, there are customers with issues on their live sites that need help.....so you want them to spend time on a TEST site? Okay then. Makes total sense. /sarcasm

Dorian they asked me on the tracker to send a ticket on the previous version with another of these issues. Brandon found and could fix a bad issue making an upgrade on our server. I just continued this way and got the ass kick.

And i will NOT be that stupid to run tests on our live site :lol:

On the one hand, I could almost understand being 'ing pissed' because they didn't help you...it is a supported version.

However, there are customers with issues on their live sites that need help.....so you want them to spend time on a TEST site? Okay then. Makes total sense. /sarcasm

​You're right, and it's also true that they clearly state test sites aren't supported, but if they were supported, would more people then test their installs and solve problems on them before going live? That could then reduce the amount of urgent tickets on live sites, and in theory speed up the support process. 

Hello, there is no need to get upset here, if you have an issue, submitting a ticket with your issue to Account Assistance is the proper method to follow up on this before blowing up. :) 

I have reviewed your issues in your tickets, and while our support staff has followed our policy here properly on no support for test sites, we can review this on a case by case basis if needed and we do use some judgement as well.  In your case here, I have reviewed these items and due to the nature of these issues and the past tickets you have had on this same issue, I have sent them up to our developers for review.

Thank you

I am not understanding why test sites are excluded? I can understand them receiving a lower priority, but if there is a bug what does it matter if the site is test (pre-production) or production?

I mean the whole point of a test site is to find bugs, it would be bad form to not use a test site for anyone running a business with their community.

I am not understanding why test sites are excluded? I can understand them receiving a lower priority, but if there is a bug what does it matter if the site is test (pre-production) or production?

I mean the whole point of a test site is to find bugs, it would be bad form to not use a test site for anyone running a business with their community.

The test license is actually meant for 3rd party developers, they can potentially introduce bugs while developing an app/plugin and IPS simply does not have the time to support 3rd party apps/plugins.

Also many members try to solve the bug on their own on their test sites and might wipe the whole test board, it might even happen while a staff member is reviewing the issue and all the effort would be for nothing.

• Management

​We've discussed this elsewhere, however, in general - if it's an obvious issue or bug with the software, you may ask for escalation so advanced support can take a look. Unfortunately, we cannot support test licenses as a general rule.  1) It actually often requires more resources to support the typical test site than it does a production site as you'd be surprised what people do to test sites and even the environments they're hosted on when they don't have to worry about user impact. :)  2) You've purchased one license for use on one installation. While a test license key is provided for just that - your local testing, it is not technically a part of your license purchase and thus not supported. If you require active uninhibited support on two installations, you may wish to consider a second license and that may be something we can evaluate on our end -- a discount of sorts for that purpose. 

While the theory "provide support for test installations, but with lower priority" seems sound in concept, there's no practical way to prioritize that. With hundreds and hundreds of requests per week, there will always be a live customer taking precedent over a test installation. 

I'm a strong proponent of providing a solution whenever reasonably possible, but there must be a line. We have recently modified our policy so if you have a general question, we should be able to answer that for you regardless of whether you are on a live or test installation. If there's a clear issue with the software (i.e.: an EX error) on a test installation and/or a developer has told you via the bug tracker to submit a ticket for development investigation, we can assist with that. If, however, you have general issues with your test site or you've began modifying it from default (custom theme, plugins/apps, etc.) - we will not diagnose or otherwise assist with a test install in this regard. 

It is admittedly a gray area and one that requires discretion on a case by case basis, so we may not always get it right and I apologize in advance when we don't. We don't want to blindly turn people away, especially when it's a legitimate software issue, but at the same time, we can't provide support for two sites for the price of one. It's not fair to other clients with live installations. 

Hello Lindy,

Many Thanks for your explanation. :)

I agree with most of your points. First let me say i am not in a hurry to upgrade my live site - it´s running fine. Also let me say that your team is great, friendly and almost always very helpful - Thanks.

Our "testdrive" isn´t made to run a second site.  It´s just to test new features, addons and new software versions like your 4.x.x .

I ran the the 4.x.x upgrades since the first public beta to help you and the community to address and fix problems and issues of the new versions. And i did this with close contacts to you and your team. So i did with 4.0.7 and ran into 1 old and a new tricky issues. I ran it two times more to see on what step the issue happens, made screenshots etc and reported all with examples. Then i got these replies a+nd was angry and sad and felt a lil stupid and posted this here.

Rhett checked it and it seems i am not that stupid lol. Thanks to you too Rhett.  

Once again Thank You and have a great week :D

Archived