View Source

To view Source you will need to have the permission to post HTML, which is definitely not advised to give for all users. 

With that in mind, why is it that you want to provide source to users? Is something not functioning correctly? You can still type BBCode into the editor like previously and it will parse.

To view Source you will need to have the permission to post HTML, which is definitely not advised to give for all users. 

With that in mind, why is it that you want to provide source to users? Is something not functioning correctly? You can still type BBCode into the editor like previously and it will parse.

​A savvy user was having issues with a post they were quoting, they somehow got bumped out.  When they went back the quote was doubled, and embedded inside itself.  He wanted to just edit the code because it's hard to simply delete the quotes.  He asked where the source button went and I said I'd try to get it back,

I agree, I will not give other people access to HTML.  I have the source button because I allow admins (only me) to post HTML?

It would be nice if that button could be added like any other button, unless that's a way to bypass the HTML filters.

• 6 months later...
On 5/29/2015 at 8:07 AM, Jim M said:

Hi jim - Can you tell me how to give permission to post HTML?  I only see it in the wysiwyg editor for a page.  I need to be able to use that functionality inside of a post in order to embed code for wistia.  Thanks for your help.

On 5/29/2015 at 7:07 AM, Jim M said:

My only issue is that when you copy and then paste something into the editior; it brings over the backgroung color of the copied text sometimes. Users who can't view and edit the source have absolutely no way of removing the background color from their pasted text other than the 'remove format' option which just erases all formatting altogether and not just the background color which makes it useless in this regard.

Some way to make the editor not allow background colors or a way to remove them or to remove specific formatting instead of 'all or nothing' as it currently is would be extremely helpful.

7 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

There's a 'background color' button for the editor so just drag it's icon from the 'buttons not on editor' to the editor toolbar in the ACP.

Except that completely defuncts the whole idea of not wanting background colors to begin with.

44 minutes ago, Koby said:

Some way to make the editor not allow background colors or a way to remove them or to remove specific formatting instead of 'all or nothing' as it currently is would be extremely helpful.

All or nothing is the only thing that works. What if the copied text is in a bright color and the dark background color is the only thing that makes it legible? If the background color is stripped, you make it even worse. 

9 hours ago, opentype said:

All or nothing is the only thing that works. What if the copied text is in a bright color and the dark background color is the only thing that makes it legible? If the background color is stripped, you make it even worse. 

Changing the text color is an easier method, especially since we left the text color in our editor.

My forum specifically though, doesn't care or want backgrounds. More specifically, a specific section of my community requires a specific template for new threads in that section. We put the template to copy in a spoiler tag, but then when copied, it also takes the color of the spoiler tag background along with it and my users have no way of removing it. So we've had to have admins go in and edit the background color code out of the post with the 'view source'. The spoiler tag bg color shouldn't even be part of what was copied though in the first place considering the actual template itself had no bg color for the text itself.

Archived