Please bring back plain text for mobile/tablets (or at least an option)

Day_

Pretty please, an option in the admin panel or if not is it possible to change the CK Editor, if so how?

Even starting this topic on an iPad the editor didn't load first time round, after refresh too 3 or 4 taps to get started.

This editor doesn't play nice at all with mobiles and tablets, desktop great (apart from a pain to clear quotes) I'm having no end of complaints, not sure how many more times I can respond with refresh the page, almost emailed myself earlier to complain it's that bad. 

I know you can edit the toolbar but I'm not seeing any plain text option, only html source which isn't the same thing.

Can also change the skin which I've done as the default sometimes either puts in a large cursor which triggers notify replies button or sends the member back to the previous page. 

There is not “mobile skin” anymore, so I don’t know how the WYSIWYG mode should be disabled on mobile. There are just media queries for screen size but that would mean that even a small browser window on a desktop computer would loose the WYSIWYG mode. Doesn’t sound like a good idea. 

I do agree however that the performance of such JavaScript-heavy functions on mobile devices is still not perfect in 4.0. I too often need to reload the page on my iPhone because something just doesn’t work – even simple things like opening the off-screen menu. 

Been commenting since Thursday from my S5 and haven't had any major issues that have stopped me as I've been on the road. Some little nuances with deleting half my sentence and my text getting randomly capitalized but that was easily changed.

Might have to go back to 2005 lol. Responsive is much better. Just give IPS time to work it out and it'll be excellent. Nothing is perfect at first.

​Actually mobile theme are still used today, take a look at Apple's site. I used to be a huge responsive design supporter and well I still am but I'm starting to think that for some sites that are very content-heavy, a separate mobile design wouldn't be such a bad idea. After all, mobile browsers are not as powerful as desktop ones to load the same pages. I can't even browse my site for more than 5 minutes from my phone without the browser crashing.

​Actually mobile theme are still used today, take a look at Apple's site. I used to be a huge responsive design supporter and well I still am but I'm starting to think that for some sites that are very content-heavy, a separate mobile design wouldn't be such a bad idea. After all, mobile browsers are not as powerful as desktop ones to load the same pages. I can't even browse my site for more than 5 minutes from my phone without the browser crashing.

Disagree. Phone browsers are getting stronger and stronger. 60% of my Web browsing is mobile and all my websites run fine as responsive. A good Responsive design is a healthy decision of what is capablre on a phone screen size and performance. Phone browser can handle most the normal, if not all that a desktop browser can. It's just is your phone powerful enough to handle the processing power needed.

… but I'm starting to think that for some sites that are very content-heavy, a separate mobile design wouldn't be such a bad idea. 

​True. But for a stock community software which doesn’t have individually designed pages (like those from Apple), but instead should render any sort of user content in forums, databases, galleries and so on? Do admins really want to double their work to maintain those two different skins, when the responsive skin gets them 98 % of the way. 

Archived