I need help setting up a new server

​You can choose the OS of the server but I prefer Linux. :)

​As a network engineer, I can only help you setup Microsoft Servers free of charge, 2008R2, 2012 and 2012R2. I have IPB installed on all of mine and use the other as backups. I have MySQL installed for IPB only. Sorry. Good luck.

Hello,

Can anyone help me on setting up a new server I bought? I need someone who knows what their doing and help me set up a new server preferably for free or low budget.

If someone is kind enough, please PM me. :)

Thank you very much! ​

You purchased an unmanaged server?

Is cpanel available / included?

​As a network engineer, I can only help you setup Microsoft Servers free of charge, 2008R2, 2012 and 2012R2. I have IPB installed on all of mine and use the other as backups. I have MySQL installed for IPB only. Sorry. Good luck.

​It's okay. I thank you for your interest in helping me. :)

Stick with Linux ;) 

​That's what I've been using until now and changing might be hard for me.

You purchased an unmanaged server?

Is cpanel available / included?

​Yes, cpanel & WHM is available on the server!

​It's okay. I thank you for your interest in helping me. :)

​That's what I've been using until now and changing might be hard for me.

​Yes, cpanel & WHM is available on the server!

​If you don't know how to manage a server install cPanel.

Is there a centos 6 cpanel image to install?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your server from?

​If you don't know how to manage a server install cPanel.

Is there a centos 6 cpanel image to install?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your server from?

​I already have cPanel installed but you need to configure the server in order for it to work and that's what I'm trying to do but with no luck.

I purchased my server from OVH. :)

You don't need to do really anything to the server per se.  Cpanel manages your server.  You can do just about everything in cpanel.

Are you able to log into the WHM admin area?

​Yes, I am able to log in to WHM but the server isn't set up properly. It needs to be configured for it to work because right now, if I connect my domain to it, it'll just show me the /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi when I visit my domain.

It is setup correctly.  That's the default page for your server.  Whenever I setup a server, like you did, I use another domain for the server.  So, if my site was thesite.com I would setup my server on another domain name like anothersite.com and then go in and create another account in WHM for thesite.com.

Go in and add an account Account Functions > Create a New Account and create one for your domain thesite.com.  Once you do that it should point the domain to the account you setup.

You can change that page you're hitting by going into Account Functions > Web Template Editor but adding the account should clear up your issue.

There are a TON of things you need to do in WHM to make it secure.  Install CSF and follow the recommendations when you "Check Server Security" in CSF.

You are better off using a real hosting provider or a managed server provider, running this server without knowing what you are doing = trouble

​+20000 Going solo on OVH with no experience in managing a server is a suicide mission.  OVH is known for not providing any support for issues caused by the user.

Though I want to add, I have an OVH server and I've never had an issue in their Canada datacenter... ever.  I would consider them a real hosting provider.  I have no problem with the hardware or network OVH is running and it's comparable with many other top level hosting providers out there - minus the "user error" support.

It is setup correctly.  That's the default page for your server.  Whenever I setup a server, like you did, I use another domain for the server.  So, if my site was thesite.com I would setup my server on another domain name like anothersite.com and then go in and create another account in WHM for thesite.com.

Go in and add an account Account Functions > Create a New Account and create one for your domain thesite.com.  Once you do that it should point the domain to the account you setup.

You can change that page you're hitting by going into Account Functions > Web Template Editor but adding the account should clear up your issue.

There are a TON of things you need to do in WHM to make it secure.  Install CSF and follow the recommendations when you "Check Server Security" in CSF.

CSF = http://download.configserver.com/csf/install.txt

Once you install CSF it will appear in your plugins (on the left side at the bottom).

​I'll try out your suggestion, thank you!

You are better off using a real hosting provider or a managed server provider, running this server without knowing what you are doing = trouble

​Do you have any managed server provider suggestions? I know going in blind folded is a bad idea but I'm going to have to learn them sooner or later.

If you have no experience then you either need to start a steep learning curve and get to grips with root ssh access for setting up the system and hardening it or pay a decent system admin to do this for you.

WHM/Cpanel installed on a vanilla server is clearly a recipe for being hacked.

​If you just want to run IPS software, use IPS cloud hosting.  It's cheap and they manage everything for you - besides your actual forum (but they'll help you with that if you need it).

If you want managed hosting check out webhostingtalk.com there is plenty of information on that forum about hosting providers.  I've been a member of that site for years... ton of great advice.

If you want to learn Linux, set up a local testing server using VirtualBox or a spare machine you have laying around.  There are plenty of tuts online outlining how to setup a LAMP.  Set a VM up and play around.  Doing is the only way to learn.

If you have no experience then you either need to start a steep learning curve and get to grips with root ssh access for setting up the system and hardening it or pay a decent system admin to do this for you.

WHM/Cpanel installed on a vanilla server is clearly a recipe for being hacked.

​Where can I find a decent system admin which can help me? I'll need to learn these myself also...

​If you just want to run IPS software, use IPS cloud hosting.  It's cheap and they manage everything for you - besides your actual forum (but they'll help you with that if you need it).

If you want managed hosting check out webhostingtalk.com there is plenty of information on that forum about hosting providers.  I've been a member of that site for years... ton of great advice.

​Webhostingtalk came up a few times on my Google searches. I'll give them a go also! :)

Thank you!

Dont trust everyone on WHT either - plenty of sharks out there that talk the talk but can't walk the walk.......

I think there are some chaps on here who provide sysadmin services and set up servers, if you wait a bit I'm sure one will come along soon

​That's what I'm afraid of. I want a decent sysadmin who actually does the job right and doesn't leave your server vulnerable. But the only way to make sure of that is by doing it yourself.

I would be happy to offer my services to you. I have several years of experience setting up and managing high performance servers optimized specifically for IP.Board (as well as various other hand built PHP/Python based applications). I have also contributed a lot of my time providing free server support here on the forums, and have contributed a number of in-depth guides which you are free to use as a reference for learning.

To provide a few examples,

Naturally, I can not offer to set up and manage your server for you free of charge. I have to make a living. If you are willing to pay a reasonable rate for such services, however, I can personally set up and manage every aspect of your server for you and will always be available if you run into any issues or have any questions/concerns about anything.

I do have a few up-front conditions, however. If you are wanting someone to manage your entire server for you, I would require that you have the entire server re-installed with Debian Linux as the operating system and to provide the best service possible this server should be set up without any kind of control panel (such as WHM/cPanel).

If you are interested, please feel free to send me a personal message here so we can discuss your needs in more detail.

Archived