VPS Server

Hello, i have a image site and i know shared hosting wont be able to handle the requests and resources, but would this VPS server be enough to have a a site on:
over 5k images, loads of members, posts, ect?  I dont want to upgrade now, but when the site becomes bit more... busy :P  Thanks for any replies :)

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.95a0f5fe6637f0bd6

1 Dedicated IP, 1 TB Traffic,  

There is no way to tell based on a spec sheet, it would depend on how oversold the server is, you are still sharing resources, so that would be the major factor. 

We would also need to know what "loads" are to you, this could be 100 in 15 minutes or 1500, which is a big difference etc.

Hi Herofiles :)

As Rhett post there is no easy way to calculate what you want without more details....

If you are talking about: wallbase.no as i can see in your signature and if your vps provider do not oversell vps accounts according to server resources then yes 100% you can manage it with this specifications and for the 5k images are very very low number ! (I already deal with more than 200GB of images for a client of me on a simple ssd without Raid)

You can also try Cloudflare as it will help a lot with your static files like images....and is free :)

But i am sure that you can find a dedicated server with very low price like 15-20 euro per month....and get all resources used only by you and all your problems gone !

But i am sure that you can find a dedicated server with very low price like 15-20 euro per month....and get all resources used only by you and all your problems gone !

Never rent a dedicated server based on price alone. Never get hosting just because it's cheap period. You get what you pay for is all too true in the hosting industry, way too many people blindly go with a host without doing any research into the company just because they're "cheap."

You'll realize why these providers are all so cheap soon enough, when your users complain about your website being constantly down because your datacenter has constant networking issues, when your hardware starts to fail on you and you end up with data loss, so on and so forth. A cheap price gets you cheap service. If you at all care about your website, invest in a good hosting service.

I don't believe you will find any good dedicated hosting provider that cheap. $20-$35 is the price range for a VPS, not a dedicated server. No dedicated server should be that inexpensive.

All of that said, I always avoid VPS'. The performance you get with a VPS will always be limited. It's still shared hosting, you just get control over your own virtual box, and theoretically have guaranteed access to a set amount of resources (assuming the VPS isn't oversold). One of the more common problems with a VPS in regards to performance is the fact that you're sharing your storage device with many other clients. If they start getting abusive with their resources, it's going to hurt you and your websites performance. A VPS with an SSD storage device certainly helps mitigate this issue, but then you're paying a decent bit more for storage.

But, if high performance isn't a huge concern for you and your traffic load isn't too serious, VPS' can be just fine to use. Just be sure you're keeping off-site backups of your forum (as you should be doing no matter where you're hosting).

Anyways, tl;dr as already said by Rhett we can't tell you what's needed to power your website without having more information.

My recommendation was about performance and for sure he will get a much faster forum with unshared resources with a budget dedicated server than a vps !

Budget server doesn't mean always something bad....and in the most cases they will not offer managment for the server or they delay to respond to support tickets....

Hardware failures can happen anytime to any server !

Every customer should think what they need and then go for it or not.

Thanks for replies :)

No, this is a Norwegian hosting website(webhuset.no | https://www.webhuset.no/tjenester/virtuell-server/) , a exclusive website, and their rep are rather good. But i haven't got any replies from them. 

But, how is VPS and website? How will this work, is there Cpanel or anything like "shared" servers? 

​They seem to be offering cPanel WHM if you order one of the VPS with CentOS.

Archived