"Help Area"; 4.0?

ZakRhyno

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management

I'm not 100% sure but I do think we are removing the Help section. I mean it's kind of pointless: the articles are like "to start a new topic click new topic" ...

I realize some people use the Help section to create their own sort of FAQ but really there are way better methods to do that.

4.0 does indeed remove the help section. We aim to offer better front-end documentation instead.

Can we get some friendly URL pages for Terms of Service / Privacy Policy / Copyright? I've been using the help section as my not-very-elegant solution for these necessities.

I'm not 100% sure but I do think we are removing the Help section. I mean it's kind of pointless: the articles are like "to start a new topic click new topic" ...

I realize some people use the Help section to create their own sort of FAQ but really there are way better methods to do that.

It been really helping me out with posting things and such as help docs. Could you expand on your thoughts of what you mean by better methods as I like to here your thoughts on the subject for improving it. The old data in this area will it just be erase and deleted? Are will they be away to move it to this new area you wanting to go do?

4.0 does indeed remove the help section. We aim to offer better front-end documentation instead.

What do you mean by this exactly? Will there be pop-up windows or mini-font words below things? Because if you saying something to the degree of a user clicks on something than it goes to your (IPS) webpage where all the documentation is at for something that was in house before, I don't like that idea. I would like to keep user and people in house as much as I can because when they leave they may not come back. Plus, with it being the way it was I could add things that would be part of the help system AND extra things I could use that was only for my site. With that taken away now; what does that leave user like myself?

With all this in mind could it be possible to keep the inhouse help system for users?

What do you mean by this exactly? Will there be pop-up windows or mini-font words below things? Because if you saying something to the degree of a user clicks on something than it goes to your (IPS) webpage where all the documentation is at for something that was in house before, I don't like that idea. I would like to keep user and people in house as much as I can because when they leave they may not come back. Plus, with it being the way it was I could add things that would be part of the help system AND extra things I could use that was only for my site. With that taken away now; what does that leave user like myself?

With all this in mind could it be possible to keep the inhouse help system for users?

That's really a niche use of it to be honest, and I don't think it has sufficient use to warrant us supporting it. By having documentation on our site, we can add to it without needing software updates, keep it updated easily and so on. If you need a custom help area, that sounds like a good use for IP.Content (or a simple application if you're a developer and want to do it yourself).

Hi,

Please, make it possible to complete translation to a language other than English on the new version of your software. I am french and I don't like a mixture of English and French on my site (I love much English).

For people who speak English, the software is really great, but for others who don't speak English, it's really very bad.

A mixture of several language is really not clean.

Hi,

Please, make it possible to complete translation to a language other than English on the new version of your software. I am french and I don't like a mixture of English and French on my site (I love much English).

For people who speak English, the software is really great, but for others who don't speak English, it's really very bad.

A mixture of several language is really not clean.

I may be mistaken on your meaning but you can already translate the entire suite easily: https://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides/_/install-and-getting-started/translating-the-ips-community-suite-r289

If you're talking about translating help files, this can also be done from within the admincp under the system > help files menus.

That's really a niche use of it to be honest, and I don't think it has sufficient use to warrant us supporting it. By having documentation on our site, we can add to it without needing software updates, keep it updated easily and so on. If you need a custom help area, that sounds like a good use for IP.Content (or a simple application if you're a developer and want to do it yourself).

Will you be offering a way to export that data before the upgrade and delete of the content?

No - but you are of course encouraged to take a database backup before upgrading to any new release, and 4.0 will be no different. Assuming you follow our advice, you will have an export of the appropriate database table.

We don't generally allow you to export previous data that we no longer continue to support in new versions. It's sort of pointless - if you "export" help files, then what? You can't import it anywhere, so why let you export it?

No - but you are of course encouraged to take a database backup before upgrading to any new release, and 4.0 will be no different. Assuming you follow our advice, you will have an export of the appropriate database table.

We don't generally allow you to export previous data that we no longer continue to support in new versions. It's sort of pointless - if you "export" help files, then what? You can't import it anywhere, so why let you export it?

Copy it to the new system that one can make in IPContent.

But than with docs on yourself that turn the user away from the owners site and such. Even with this all you can't turn off that stuff as you hardcode it in. How does one fix this issue that IPB would be focusing on it user base?

We were planning to put our rules and such inside the Help menu, so it looks like we'll have to think of another way to do it.

Does anyone have any suggestions except for to use IP.Content? We might license that later, but for now...

tutorials app works well for this stuff.

True but I would like it part from the other apps like it's own thing.

thats exactly how it would work

Helps should be tab and as it is now from other stuff and not in the forums :s

so rename tutorials to Help and click the tab. done.

or make a tutorials category labeled Help, use promenu to put a menu item up pointing to that category. done. this way you can use tutorials for other stuff too.

you're making this a lot more harder than it needs to be, install app and add the content you want.

so rename tutorials to Help and click the tab. done.

or make a tutorials category labeled Help, use promenu to put a menu item up pointing to that category. done. this way you can use tutorials for other stuff too.

you're making this a lot more harder than it needs to be, install app and add the content you want.

Didn't think about the tutorials route Dmacleo, thanks for the help.

Archived