Save new Topic / Post as draft

craigf136

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On our forum, members like to create new topics / posts that can be quite intensive, with lots of evidence and so forth. Currently they have no way to save the post as a draft, I currently recommend members to do 2 things, first, create the post within word or similar and save it to somewhere such as google docs and when ready, simply copy and paste to create topic/post.

The second option, is allowing members to make post and then hide it until a later date, this allows them to edit the post until such times as it is ready and hidden from everyone apart from moderators and admins.

Both are extremely unpractical. I know this has been requested on numerous occasions and yet a simple feature hasn't been included and it makes no logical (to me) sense. A member can go into a private message, create a new one and then save that as a draft to send it later. Why offer this function with private messages but not within the main forum editor functionality?

Anyway, poll attached with a simple question, should IP include a save as draft function, with yes or no options.

70,000+ views and only 4 votes. To me and I assume many others (going by past posts on the subject), that this is a very important functionality that is missing but we only have 4 votes out of 70,000 views.

If we want IPB to stand up and take note of this feature request, surely this topic / poll should have more than 1 reply (by me) and more than 4 votes (1 by me). I mean it's not as if it's going to be difficult, they already include it for private messages.

Has it occurred to you that 70,000 google bots may have viewed it?

Has it occurred to you that 70,000 people may have viewed it, and not voted for it because they don't think it's a feature they would use?

Just because they read it, doesn't mean they agree with you. :tongue:

More positively, I don't know why you think that people being able to hide their posts/topics while drafting is unpractical.

One of the permissions that you can give a group is to hide their own topics and posts. Thus while they are drafting them, they can keep them hidden until they are ready to post.

Has it occurred to you that 70,000 google bots may have viewed it?

Has it occurred to you that 70,000 people may have viewed it, and not voted for it because they don't think it's a feature they would use?

Just because they read it, doesn't mean they agree with you. :tongue:

More positively, I don't know why you think that people being able to hide their posts/topics while drafting is unpractical.

One of the permissions that you can give a group is to hide their own topics and posts. Thus while they are drafting them, they can keep them hidden until they are ready to post.

Possible, but then it's also possible that it has been 70,000 + views.

I'm not saying everyone will agree, it's impractical because it's actually not how I want things to appear on our forum. I don't want a load of topics being hidden until the member is ready to post it. The member may not want admins or moderators to read it until it is ready to be posted and that is the members right to do so.

Anyway, for a topic to be hidden, the member must post said topic then click on the topic moderation and set it to hidden, they can't select hide topic from view after posting when using more reply options for example. So it's not practical.

I know what permissions can be supplied to member groups, that's why I said the second option was to allow them to hide the topic until ready.

Email clients for example will allow a draft to be saved - this isn't any different, so why treat it differently.

• 2 weeks later...

To explain how it works - rather than there being one global save, in 4.0 it saves it for each context. So if you start replying to a topic, it'll auto save it for that topic, even if you start replying to another topic too. Every instance of the editor does this, so no matter where you start typing, it'll remember it next time you come back to that same page.

To explain how it works - rather than there being one global save, in 4.0 it saves it for each context. So if you start replying to a topic, it'll auto save it for that topic, even if you start replying to another topic too. Every instance of the editor does this, so no matter where you start typing, it'll remember it next time you come back to that same page.

How often does it save?

• 2 weeks later...

As long as it remember it has been saved as a draft in the editior, to create a long post and for it to auto save in the editor then for the member to come back (as it is autosaved) and it isn't present - that would be a pain the rear end.

Archived