shorten url for social sharing

bavi

Once upon a time we hosted our own service for this, but it ended up turning into a resource-heavy spammer haven, so we discontinued it.

While we can look into third party integration for this, it's a relatively low priority in the grand scheme of things. It wouldn't be hard to write a hook to do this yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Once upon a time we hosted our own service for this, but it ended up turning into a resource-heavy spammer haven, so we discontinued it.

While we can look into third party integration for this, it's a relatively low priority in the grand scheme of things. It wouldn't be hard to write a hook to do this yourself.

Maybe not once you are an experienced programmer.

The documentation on creating hooks is IMO seriously flawed, in so far that when you know what you are doing it is likely to be a good reference.

Maybe it is time to create a few articles on how to do things from the word go, with step-by-step examples, possibly several. Having launched myself into skinning, it was quite the major learning curve just getting into the overall IPS structure, to try and get it doing what I more or less want. The system to add hooks and/or new templates IMO adds at least another level or two of complexity, and I think we could all benefit from having a couple of proper, step-by-step examples written for those who are new to this arena, and to php and js.

I reckon it would possibly create a lot more opportunities for would-be add-on developers, something that will only benefit the entire community.

Personally, I would get only into this now after I have done several more skin conversions, because it would just take way too much time to do anything else right now, i.e., invest the time to get going with hooks and related stuff as an experienced developer, but not experienced at all with php and js.

Thank you kindly in advance for considering.

Warm regards, Wim

I recently thought of an alternative to this, I almost bought a new domain short name and I added as "record A" into dns manager collecting new short domain to ip of server/forum...

example site-example-forum.net can also be reached through sef.net

then I suggest you consider this thing if everything goes in favor of your site.

Yes, but any shares will still go out on our main domain url - unless you make your main domain the shortened version.

We have http://nluk.co which routes to our http://www.nonleague.co.uk -what we also do is to auto tweet every new topic using the RSS feed and a third party site. We used to auto facebook before the other company closed down, must find an alternative to replace them. :)

However would be nice to be able to use our own short url on all shares.

Nothing wrong with it at all - we clearly state exactly what the feed account does. Unlike others we do not auto send to our main accounts.

Nobody is forced to follow it and in fact we do not promote it. It is just there for the benefit of searches. Nothing more and nothing less. It does bring us traffic.

However we have found people like to follow it and even tweet to it, which I do find odd LOL

You are of course welcome to your opinion.

This is not the topic for discussing what is right and wrong with twitter/facebook.

Archived