Pre-formatted replies from support

DominickJ

A few weeks ago we decided to go with IPBoard after comparing several premium forum boards,

We however regret our decision since we never met such a terrible support.

We tried out the demo and it worked fine,

Our server is a quad-core 3,2 GHZ with 4 gig of ram (+4 swap) , which should be enough for a starting forum

but IPBoard was terribly slow and random errors occurred, but when refreshing the page the errors disappeared.

We also had some random beginners-questions about setting up so we decided first to ask these beginners questions hopefully any errors would resolve themselves,

The reply from ips was basically, submit your ftp details and we have a look, but all the questions we had where how we could set something up the correct way. (Before we knew we could duplicate forums we hoped we could set up some permissions defaults).

Obviously, we were disappointed with their support and we submitted the errors we experienced, again the same answer...

We basically were fed up and decided we better go with another solution and decided to go with xenforo,

but keep the license active (no renewal though) when the issues we experienced were solved we could use the license for any new site,

So we wanted to disable the renewal service but found out that, even though we had more than 5 months left on our current subscription, when cancelling the automatic renewal we would not be able to download any updates.

Basically my question is, do we just have bad luck or is ips always such a terrible company when it comes down to users who already paid?

Basically my question is, do we just have bad luck or is ips always such a terrible company when it comes down to users who already paid?

Neither bad luck, nor terrible company. The primary goal of IPS is to support clients without any technical knowledge. Clients that can only open admin panel and change settings and nothing more. Shared hostings. They do not really support clients that are able to setup and run own dedicated servers and make a lot of changes themselves.

I have made the same experience, was a little bit frustrated at the beginning but found my way by not bothering IPS support any more. I go with own server administrator and own programmers. This is a better way than looking for help in support. If you see your license just as "permission" to use the software and not really think about support, you are OK.

What I get for the license - is a well documented framework and API, amazing stable system, fast security updates, good tips in this community from other clients, new features and continious development. I think it is worth as the license is pretty cheap and you are not forced to prolong it until you would like to have further updates.

Do you have any ticket IDs I can take a look at?

As a general rule, if we are unable to access your installation to investigate things, it is very difficult for us to guide you or answer your questions. Certain questions like "where is setting x" we can certainly answer without FTP information. Questions like "why is my installation slow", however, would indeed require us to be able to login to your admin control panel and to login via FTP to troubleshoot. It would be like taking your car to the mechanic but telling them to fix the issue without looking under the hood to find out what is wrong. :)

• Management

I looked at your ticket history.

You submitted two technical support tickets. Our staff replied to both of them but you never replied back to us.

If you do not reply back to our staff I cannot see how we can possibly assist you nor do I really see how you can warrant a complaint. You have to let us help you :)

So we wanted to disable the renewal service but found out that, even though we had more than 5 months left on our current subscription, when cancelling the automatic renewal we would not be able to download any updates.

Of course you wouldn't be able to download updates, that's kind of silly if you thought you could do that when you stop paying. I'm pretty certain XenForo and vB are the same way. Not 100% certain though since I've never used them. But any software like this is normally handled this way. It's nothing new and it seems like you're just being picky about the stupid stuff to be picky.

Why not?

It's possible to renew the license any time manually when expired.

Until it's not expired you can download the updates.

Of course you wouldn't be able to download updates, that's kind of silly if you thought you could do that when you stop paying. I'm pretty certain XenForo and vB are the same way. Not 100% certain though since I've never used them. But any software like this is normally handled this way. It's nothing new and it seems like you're just being picky about the stupid stuff to be picky.

We also use quite a bit of other licenses and they normally work, when you purchase your software on for example January 1st 2010 and you get 1 year of updates you can download any updates released till January 1st 2011, even when it's 2013 you can still download the update from 2010-2011 because you paid for those updates...

But I got an email from support they disabled the renewal, but the spam services stopped working, the download area is blank so I am having they can fix this because it doesn't feel right for me now..

Here We go again.

1. If you have a critical issue IPS wastes no time moving on it. Ask me I know. I am there now and they are busting balls trying to figure out my issues.
But if they ask for more information you need to reply. Their mind reader passed away and have not found a replacement and my wife charges too much.

2. Look in your Client support It plainly states other resources to check into before submitting a ticket. Especially for those who have basic issues that have already been resolved numerous times in the past. Reading is knowledge and Knowledge is power.

I get a kick out of people who would rather 'Barneys Girlfriend' and complain about how terrible a software or support is without even a single try to 1. Accept responsibility for their own issues including answering tickets, and 2. Jumping off at the deep end by canceling support then expecting the rest of us to feel sorry or jump on a band wagon of the chronic.

There are steps one really need to investigate before playing the blame game.

1. Read the support forums for same or similar issues, that is what they are there for.

2. Search... If you can't find what you are looking for at the exact moment your computer is booting up then Do a search for similar topics (After the computer has been booted) or in this case if you can't find the immediate answer in the first forum.

Am I glad they "IPS" has Done away with the Welcome Wagon or some would have never made it past the introductions.

3. Read the resources help files. A lot of people wasted their time on us by taking the time to write them and it is still on going for those few that actually take the time to look.

I am sorry if I am sounding a bit blunt or rash, but this is not the first complaint I have read where people refuse to do a little reading here or their email when a ticket has been replied to.

IPS can't take all the steps to carry your board nor can any one else if you are not willing to meet them even a quarter of the way.

This post may possibly be removed but I am a bit tired of the 3 post bashers going off the deep end without even making an effort resolve an issue or to help those that are trying to help them.

Maybe I should Post my latest ticket here as an example....

****NOTE*****

I like the 'Barneys Girlfriend' bad word change... :rofl:

@Woodsman, what you have written can apply to free open source products. IPS is different. They charge. They charge not only for use of software but for the support. If I go with free software I will look and search and try to solve myself. If I pay for support I can use it whether I ask dumb questions or not, I am the client.

@Woodsman, what you have written can apply to free open source products. IPS is different. They charge. They charge not only for use of software but for the support. If I go with free software I will look and search and try to solve myself. If I pay for support I can use it whether I make dumb questions or not, I am the client.

I started out here with a thought of how to respond to this and decided to be nice instead.

1. IPS is no way a baby sitter to any site including my own sites. I doubt you will as you say even ask a dumb question without researching it first. Why do I doubt you? Because I have read many of your responses to others that was very helpful. So this says to me that you are also a trouble shooter looking for your own answers. So there for I believe your reply is a bit out of touch from the Op's apparent issues and comments on how poorly IPS is run.

2. When you purchase a new car, is it the auto dealers responsibility to make sure you put gas in it before you run out or put it in for you?

Even with this said a mechanic can not fix a problem without seeing it or gathering all the important information to give you an educated answer on how to fix an issue yourself.

Well gee there are four of them that used to go round and round as I am going down the street.... But now one goes flop flop flop....

Do you really need to ask if the tire need to be changed?

Do you blame the auto maker for a flat tire?

Here We go again.

1. If you have a critical issue IPS wastes no time moving on it. Ask me I know. I am there now and they are busting balls trying to figure out my issues.
But if they ask for more information you need to reply. Their mind reader passed away and have not found a replacement and my wife charges too much.

2. Look in your Client support It plainly states other resources to check into before submitting a ticket. Especially for those who have basic issues that have already been resolved numerous times in the past. Reading is knowledge and Knowledge is power.

I get a kick out of people who would rather 'Barneys Girlfriend' and complain about how terrible a software or support is without even a single try to 1. Accept responsibility for their own issues including answering tickets, and 2. Jumping off at the deep end by canceling support then expecting the rest of us to feel sorry or jump on a band wagon of the chronic.

There are steps one really need to investigate before playing the blame game.

1. Read the support forums for same or similar issues, that is what they are there for.

2. Search... If you can't find what you are looking for at the exact moment your computer is booting up then Do a search for similar topics (After the computer has been booted) or in this case if you can't find the immediate answer in the first forum.

Am I glad they "IPS" has Done away with the Welcome Wagon or some would have never made it past the introductions.

3. Read the resources help files. A lot of people wasted their time on us by taking the time to write them and it is still on going for those few that actually take the time to look.

I am sorry if I am sounding a bit blunt or rash, but this is not the first complaint I have read where people refuse to do a little reading here or their email when a ticket has been replied to.

IPS can't take all the steps to carry your board nor can any one else if you are not willing to meet them even a quarter of the way.

This post may possibly be removed but I am a bit tired of the 3 post bashers going off the deep end without even making an effort resolve an issue or to help those that are trying to help them.

Maybe I should Post my latest ticket here as an example....

****NOTE*****

I like the 'Barneys Girlfriend' bad word change... :rofl:

Thank you for your post, it can also be I just got a reply from a supporteer that didn't know much about the issues I had.. it's possible.. But I read a lot of forum posts and most of them referred to other versions of the script or different products (content etc) which handles several settings differently.

In the mean time supporteers also corrected changes that colleges of them had wrong so on that end I am sure they can provide quality support.

And maybe I am used to products supported by the original development team, instead of a seperate support team where the developers go way and beyond to help users.

I looked at your ticket history.

You submitted two technical support tickets. Our staff replied to both of them but you never replied back to us.

If you do not reply back to our staff I cannot see how we can possibly assist you nor do I really see how you can warrant a complaint. You have to let us help you :smile:

I am sorry but I have to reply to your comment, I also run a business and when a client comes up to me with a question I answer the question and check if it's true what I am saying (if I am not sure), a client does not have to come up to me again to ask 'are you sure' before I check I am sure.

When I submitted a simple question and the reply is 'give your details so we check it out' it's not my responsibility to come up to you again and say 'he guys, lets hear, this is probably something in the admin cp so are you 100% sure we cannot do it using that?'. Don't you agree?

But when I submit a question and they say they need to log in and I am not willing to give our any personal credentials, since my first experience with ip wasn't good and you didnt do anything to earn my respect again, the case is closed, there is no need for a reply....

So I understand you need to protect your companies brand/image since this is a public forum but once again you go over the back of your customers (is this the saying in english) to protect the brand and that is the same underlying issue I had with support, the brand is more important than your customers. And I dont think that is right...

And maybe I am used to products supported by the original development team, instead of a seperate support team where the developers go way and beyond to help users.

I believe if you ticket is sent as critical or if your ticket goes to second teir support, the developers do indeed provide support. When I sent a critical ticket, I got a reply from one of the developers in less than 5 minutes.

Also, did you provide the details they asked for? They always require these details as they try to investigate the problem. If you didn't.... then don't expect help, it's like asking a plumber to fix your sink from the outside of the house...

do we just have bad luck or is ips always such a terrible company when it comes down to users who already paid?

Neither. You just need to supply the information they need to help you.

Just to clear up some confusion...

No the developers do not stop what they are doing to address "critical" or "priority" support tickets - these are still addressed by our technical support team. They are simply addressed before other tickets in queue (assuming the ticket truly is critical, otherwise the flag will get removed and the ticket will be put back in queue with the rest of the tickets).

We have a standard tiered technical support system like most other software development companies (I've worked at others). You submit a ticket and "Tier 1" assists. If the first level of support is unable to resolve the issue, the ticket is escalated to a Tier 2. This person is basically "half support, half development". He knows how to investigate at the code level and can debug, but his primary duties are still technical support-related. If he is unable to resolve the issue completely, he escalates to Tier 3 where a member of the development staff will investigate the issue. Typically at this stage you've found a bug that needs to be investigated, or you have a non-standard server configuration, or something along those lines.

This is pretty normal. I've worked in technical support elsewhere and it was the same idea.

Archived