Are @ notifications going to be a core feature in 4.0?

PTD

Is it our fault that they do NOT check the supported versions before they download? NO
Is it also our fault they do NOT read the readme/install information before asking how to install it? Again NO.

It is and will always be your fault for your decision to no longer give support.

It is and will always be your fault for your decision to no longer give support.

umm. no, the only thing that is 'our fault' is that decision.

Is it our fault that they do NOT check the supported versions before they download? NO
Is it also our fault they do NOT read the readme/install information before asking how to install it? Again NO.

This is not our fault, and you are being extremely rude to those who do tolerate such questions like myself.

Please don't start an argument on account of how I choose to present myself in my file descriptions. I did it that way for a reason and if you have an issue with me personally I suggest you contact me about it privately. I don't need anyone to defend my actions on my behalf though I appreciate the effort from my fellow modders and thank them wholeheartedly. :)

Please don't start an argument on account of how I choose to present myself in my file descriptions. I did it that way for a reason and if you have an issue with me personally I suggest you contact me about it privately. I don't need anyone to defend my actions on my behalf though I appreciate the effort from my fellow modders and thank them wholeheartedly. :smile:

Yes, if I had known my own personal opinion on some of the phrasing would turn into a page of back-and-forth, I would have simply not said it, as that is not the point of this thread. I apologize for the mess that I've caused with that. As a developer and someone who's worked in support myself, I understand and value your position in all of those points, I just thought it could have been phrased somewhat more nicely in some areas.

Can we all please go back on topic now? :smile:

OT: Perhaps a happy medium would be some bbcode tag to automatically link to a user's profile and a new notification option that whenever someone posts a link using that bbcode, they get a notification? That way you don't have "magic" characters that gobble text and do formatting you may not want while still seeing mostly all of the functionality.

OT: Perhaps a happy medium would be some bbcode tag to automatically link to a user's profile and a new notification option that whenever someone posts a link using that bbcode, they get a notification? That way you don't have "magic" characters that gobble text and do formatting you may not want while still seeing mostly all of the functionality.

skizzerz

one or two notifications for this quote+"mention" then? :tongue:

then there is this:

skizzerz

skizzerz

skizzerz

skizzerz

skizzerz

skizzerz

notifications spam is not fun. Quote serves the designed intention quite well.

Preferably just one, but I'm not sure which you would prioritize... I suppose if someone says notify for quote + notify for profile link, and someone does both, only do the quote notification? Would likely have to add in other edge cases though, and that could quickly be a mess, but I suppose priorities would be (given current notification options):

• Following a topic (current functionality has following before being quoted, so keeping it first makes sense)
  • Being quoted, because they mention both you AND your content
  • Being mentioned
Of course when you introduce other means of producing content (other than the forums) that list could quickly explode, and there would be a need to have some framework automatically determine which notification to send in the event multiple notifications would be sent for the same bit of content.

One use case of a mention is when you want to bring a user's attention to a thread that they have not yet participated in, that possibly concerns them. In this case there is no post to quote, so currently the only way to bring it to their attention is to either wait for them to read it themselves or to send them a message saying "hey check this out"

Please no. I will leave IP. Board if this becomes a mandatory feature.

I bought IP. Board for a message board system. I, and many others are against Twitter fads being introduced.

There's a reason plugins were invented. Leave the @ fads to that.

Just a note - if such a feature were to be added, it would likely fall alongside the current Notifications and can be disabled on a per-member basis.

Sounds like it is...

Would there be an option to completely disable it so that there's no traces of it besides in the admin CP?

• 2 months later...

I think IPB should include it on the basis it is very widely used across the web.
All they have to do is give you the option if you want to use it or not, and give the members the option to be able to be "mentioned" or show notifications when mentioned.
if you don't want it, don't use it. If you do, then do.

I've always known IPB to be a "how you want it" product.

Look at the "rep" system, that was once a widely used mod, and now its part of the design, same with the "like" system

and I think now, "Mentions/Member Tagging" will become the new addition to the family

Archived