Make language packs hidable

Aiwa

There are cases when you want to customize your language pack... E-mails, buttons, etc...

The best way to do that now is to copy the default language pack and make changes to the copy... Problem there being now you have two packs that are 'almost' identical and you can't hide the default one..

With skins, you can hide the default skin, or restrict it on a group basis... With languages you can't do that....

So I propose:

Add group controls or an option to hide a language pack from the language chooser drop down.

We shouldn't have to ever make a copy of our language pack if we want to customize it. If that's still an issue (I know people said they had to before, haven't heard it in a while, though) then that's what really needs addressed. We don't have to make a copy of our skins if we want to customize them, or our user agents, or our media tags, or our bbcodes, etc.

We shouldn't have to ever make a copy of our language pack if we want to customize it. If that's still an issue (I know people said they had to before, haven't heard it in a while, though) then that's what really needs addressed. We don't have to make a copy of our skins if we want to customize them, or our user agents, or our media tags, or our bbcodes, etc.

True... But you run into issues on upgrades if you customize the default skin or language... I've always said to make copies and leave the defaults alone... That way you always have a base that's going to work...

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/370156-remove-language-dropdown/?p=2314585

I'm well aware of how to skin it out. That doesn't help if I have 4 languages and only want 3 of them to show in the drop down... I still need the drop down. If you just wanted to hide the default IP.Board skin and still see your other 3 skins, would you skin out the skin changer?

I can remember this coming up before but I think the outcome was to hide it if only one language was available. A "hidden" radiobox or such like option would be an excellent idea for communities who have multiple languages or those who have modified the default pack and wish to hide the original as copying the original an modifying the copy is the correct way to do edits given the default is protected so it makes sense to allow admins to be able to hide the "original" version from their members. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived