Shoutbox - Official Support

Hexsplosions

Thirdly, I'm not "abusing" my hosting server. I'm using the resources that are available to me in what I consider to be the best way I can. My host would tell me if a problem were being caused on/by my service, which they have not. If there were issues, I would then consider the best solution... which could be more resources.

That's the way I look at it too. Plus, anyone can install the Shoutbox now anyway if they want to so I don't really understand the "it uses a lot of resources so we're not taking it on" argument.

I would love for Invision to officially take it over. The devs that have worked on it have done a great job, but occasionally I have been stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to getting support as Invision say "third party app, nothing to do with us" and the Shoutbox dev says "that seems like a problem with the forum software, so it's nothing to do with me". Plus with it being one of the most popular add-ons, it can put a lot of pressure on one person.

As for every member seeing it even they don't want to, which obviously uses resources for no good reason, why not add an option for members to be able to turn it off? In fact, I'm pretty sure that already exists.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather IPS leave the shoutbox to 3rd parties and include similar functionality using chat that has been rewritten from the ground up for optimal resource utilization and integration with the core suite....

Persistent chat sessions / room, or something of the sort... As it is now, the way I understand it, your site doesn't necessarily have a chat room if no one is in it... The room is created when someone joins...

Please feel free to provide some feedback for Chat in the appropriate section. It is on the map for an update. :smile:

There is a loooooong string of suggestions here and one of them is mine, made in the appropriate forum back in November 2011.

Link points to my own but there are lots more in the IP Chat forum, who would think of looking there?

Perhaps you missed them.,

There is a loooooong string of suggestions

here

and one of them is mine, made in the appropriate forum back in November 2011.

Link points to my own but there are lots more in the IP Chat forum, who would think of looking there?

Perhaps you missed them.,

There hasn't been a major chat upgrade since then... So they haven't missed them.... They just haven't done a major chat upgrade since then... Simple as that...

You're reading into things a bit too much, IMO...

I just don't like it when 'perceived inactivity' is construed as 'being ignored' or 'missed'...

As a dev myself, there are DOZENS of things I'm working on that all have different priorities... You may see them, you may not... But just because a 'feedback' topic hasn't been incorporated into a final IPS product doesn't mean it has been ignored...

I've seen it many times before, devs going through the feedback topics getting ideas of what their clients would like to see and trying to implement it with their vision... It may not be exactly what you want, or on the same timeline as what you'd like to see, but it doesn't mean it was 'ignored'...

Look at the timeline of Gallery 4 complaints... When Gallery 5 came out, I'd say it covered much of what was in the feedback forum...

I usually find when people say "with all due respect" they actually mean the opposite, however I digress... I didn't say people use the shoutbox as a chatroom in my experience. I did say people use it precisely for which it was intended -

to make and leave 'shouts'.

They do not wait for a designated meeting time to use it as a 'live' chatroom - they login, they read the forums, they make or reply to topics, they 'shout', they logout. Simple. No abuse whatsoever.

Actually, when I say it, it means that I'm going to be a bit direct and it might come off in an offending way but isn't meant to be taken that way. I also said, "if" your experience... Meaning that I wasn't going to assume one way or the other what you were meaning by what you said. If they just leave a single quick message once in awhile and that's the extent of it, then yeah, that sounds more like what it is intended for.

Just because

you

may have personal experience of a shoutbox being abused doesn't mean

every

shoutbox is abused in the same way. You clearly dislike the shoutbox and that is an opinion you are entitled too but you needn't bang the drum so loud because some people, some communities, like it and want to see it maintained.

I never said I had personal experience of it being abused. If you read through some of the issues that people have had though, you will see that some don't realize that they create some of their own problems. If used correctly, the Shoutbox app is a useful tool and a very popular one (rightly so), but there are some who think it's a chatroom and don't realize that they are setting themselves up for a disaster of some sort.

I would rather IPS leave the shoutbox to 3rd parties and include similar functionality using chat that has been rewritten from the ground up for optimal resource utilization and integration with the core suite....

Ditto this.

I've seen it many times before, devs going through the feedback topics getting ideas of what their clients would like to see and trying to implement it with their vision... It may not be exactly what you want, or on the same timeline as what you'd like to see, but it doesn't mean it was 'ignored'...

Not to mention, they also try to consider what would be truly beneficial to the client base as a whole, rather than a feature that would be essential to only a few but nothing but bloat to the rest.

I know exactly what you mean. Just because a dog has been laying on the pavement for over a year without showing any signs of life doesn't mean it's dead. I mean, the idea is ludicrous. Isn't it?

Not as ludicrous as the example given for comparison, I'd say.

I just don't like it when 'perceived inactivity' is construed as 'being ignored' or 'missed'...

As a dev myself, there are DOZENS of things I'm working on that all have different priorities... You may see them, you may not... But just because a 'feedback' topic hasn't been incorporated into a final IPS product doesn't mean it has been ignored...

Look at the timeline of Gallery 4 complaints... When Gallery 5 came out, I'd say it covered much of what was in the feedback forum...

Here is another [url= Clients Opinion of IP Chat Development

We have stated a few times now, IP.Chat is on the radar to receive an update. A lot of the things we want to change require infrastructure changes behind the scenes, which is our first priority. Once those are incorporated (and we're working on that), we will be able to implement some of the features that we (and you) want.

Nevertheless, we do ask that you keep supplying your feature suggestions so we know what direction to take the software. It is not being dropped.

Archived