Link to original issue if duplicate

Sonya*

I would appreciate if an issue is marked as duplicate in tracker, there will be posted a link to the original issue.

E. g. if we have an issue that sounds like this http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-33257-post-search-in-sphinx/page__gopid__127504#entry127504 we would like to see where is the original issue to track status and patches if available.

Thank you :)

I would appreciate if an issue is marked as duplicate in tracker, there will be posted a link to the original issue.

E. g. if we have an issue that sounds like this

http://community.inv...504#entry127504

we would like to see where is the original issue to track status and patches if available.

Thank you :smile:

Like it.... would also avoid an issue being marked as duplicate repeatedly and yet actually overlooked/not solved.

The reality is, we don't always have the time to spend to hunt down old reports that may have obscure titles, or the issue was reported via a ticket instead of the tracker, etc. etc.

Sometimes if we can find the issue quickly we'll cross link, however usually this is not a good expenditure of our time - we'd rather be fixing other issues that using the search system to find an old report.

:sad: It's a pitty. As we spend a lot of time to find an original issue in bug tracker instead. By the way, I was not able to find the original issue in the example from my first post. The only way for me is to open a new issue hoping that you point me to the right direction. If not, then open a support ticket. In any case you will have to spend time with us. Either by giving link to the original issue, or by reviewing and answering our new duplicate issue, or by managing our ticket where we ask how to solve this issue and if it is solved. I wish it would be more effective way for you, but I can see you point as well.

The original issue may not even be in the Bug Tracker. An IPS tech may notice an issue while working on something, fix it, then when they see a report about it later they may just mark it as a duplicate just because they know they've already fixed it.

If it's already fixed then it should be marked as fixed, not duplicate... yes?

Then when they go to generate a fixed issue list for that version, it will include all of the duplicates as well. What's being discussed here are duplicates, they should be flagged as such.

You're sacrificing consideration of a solution because it creates another problem. I get that.

How about helping us come up with one that does not? Like, perhaps, posting the status in a response?

If a duplicate report originated in the client center, it's not technically a duplicate report, it's a known issue. Handle it as an original report of that known issue so people know what the resolution of the problem is instead of simply saying "duplicate report" and shutting it down.

If a duplicate report has been addressed, direct people to submit a ticket for support with their issue if it is affecting their board. The tracker is not, after all, a support venue.

Ultimately, at the end of the day, the bug tracker is there to provide us assistance and guidance in discovering issues with the software so that they may be corrected in future releases. You, as clients, should not put much weight into the statuses, severities, and other meta data associated with bug reports. If a report is marked duplicate, just rest assured that we've already acknowledged it (whether it is fixed or not) and move along. We are a small team and do not have the incredible amount of resources it takes to cross-link every duplicate report. We try to when it is possible, but it's just not something we can maintain on a regular basis. We would end up spending more time categorizing bugs and cross linking them than actually fixing them, which we do not feel is the best expenditure of our resources.

If you discover an issue, report it to the tracker. If it is marked duplicate, that means we have already acknowledged the issue. There is nothing further needed on your part at that point.

Archived