How do you backup your database - regularly?

I am curious to know how other people backup their databases on a regular basis? Currently I use a cron job (because I am too lazy to do it manually), it backs up the database and then gzip's it. However I have been having a problem over the past couple of weeks with very erratic and incomplete backup sizes. The database is just under 400MB in size and I am running my board on a dedicated server. Looking at server stats the memory and cpu averages seem to be fine, never a problem, so I don't quite understand why a backup should be say around 67MB then the next backup is 41, 8, 11, 30, etc. Any ideas?

Ted.

have a cronjob setup to run a shellscript in the small hours.
1.runs a sqldump of the DB splitting the posts table into a separate script,
2. tars it up with a datestamped filename
3. removes the sql scripts after
4. ftp's it offsite to a storage server.

nothing fancy but was easy to create and works well.

have a cronjob setup to run a shellscript in the small hours.

1.runs a sqldump of the DB splitting the posts table into a separate script,

2. tars it up with a datestamped filename

3. removes the sql scripts after

4. ftp's it offsite to a storage server.

nothing fancy but was easy to create and works well.

I have no experience setting up cronjobs. Any chance you can PM me some details on this so I can get my DB backing up daily to my Amazon s3 bucket?

I run direct admin on all my servers... for busy sites I run it twice a day...all through the CP... one stays on the server, one goes to a NAS at the data center. These are complete site backups... for non busy sites I run it once a week or day depending on the site and store both locally and to a NAS.

I run direct admin on all my servers... for busy sites I run it twice a day...all through the CP... one stays on the server, one goes to a NAS at the data center. These are complete site backups... for non busy sites I run it once a week or day depending on the site and store both locally and to a NAS.

Same here full backups using DA.

My backups are nightly straight to Amazon s3 storage.

Can you please post some guide on how to setup AS3?

Thank you.

I do a full site backup every night and a database backup to RackSpace :smile:

How do upload it on other website? Does anyone got any crob job for dumping DB every night and uploading on some other FTP every night? Dumping should add date suffix at the end.

Thanks

Archived