Notifications are sent for every reply rather than just once per thread

Chatgroup

In 2.3, an email would be sent for followed topics when there was a reply, but any subsequent replies would be ignored. In 3.2, an email is sent for every reply. This is sending out loads and loads of emails for popular topics. Is there any way to restore the old functionality?

Does the second option on [url=" list cover it? I'm not sure because I haven't tested it yet. Anyway, the 2.3 feature you mentioned should be re-added if it has been removed.

No Email Notification - This option will not send out any email notification, but will retain the topic in your subscriptions panel.

Delayed Email Notification - This option will send out a notification if a reply has been made and you're not active on the board.

Immediate Email Notification - This option will send out a notification immediately after a reply has been made, regardless of your activity.

Daily Email Digest - This option will send out a daily digest showing all new replies for the day.

Weekly Email Digest - This option will send out a weekly digest showing all new replies for the week.

I personally prefer the one-notification-per-reply system to the ignore-subsequent-reply system, since the former system essentially retains extra records of posts any of which can conveniently be read via email, but I can understand why the latter system might be preferred in some cases.

Indeed none of those options appear to achieve this.

So you want an email notification sending immediately when a reply to a topic is made. But no subsequent emails for that topic until you make a reply and the process starts over.

Seems like a pretty reasonable request to me :)

The problem with "Daily" is it will only send one email per day, which is no good if you make a reply later in the day and wish to be informed of any further replies to the topic.

I must admit I was also fooled by the "offline" option, which I asumed would be the alternative that works like it did in the 2.x version.
Seems to me that the option was simply removed.

I really hope we can get this option back, we have some pissed of users right now.

I'd also like to point out that the content of the mail is misleading:

"If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an
email for each reply made to this topic. Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.
This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox."

So, this is either a bug in the mail being sent to often, or the text being wrong.
Would be nice if we could get some clarification on this issue.

• 1 month later...

Well. I'm up to date but still getting an email for every reply despite being set to 'offline'. Do I actually have to log out of the site or just close it?

Wish it could just work like Vbulletin

If it's not working correctly, I recommend submitting a ticket so a technician can take a look at it for you.

Archived