Next time...

Ikadon

Hello IPS, greetings community,

with the next major update, be it 3.3 or 4.0 or whatever, I would like to see a full list of features removed.

I know, from a marketing-point it seems crazy to mention features that are lost, but apparently many people didn't know that avatar-galleries and many other features were gone.
Especially as these were not visible to those of us who visited your beta-testboard.

I agree that many people won't read this or overread it, but then atleast it was said. I'm pretty sure there are many people that renewed their license just for 3.2 and now feel bad because they lost features vital for their community.

You don't need to advertise this on the mainpage, but you could do it in some thread that people who are (inactive) customers can read (too).

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Ikadon

Yes.. I wish this had have existed before I installed 3.2.1

Had there been notification that I would no longer had been able to allow members to have their avatar hosted off site ( ie, photo bucket, imageshack, tiny pic, etc) and the only options were to upload to the forum or Gravatar I would have stayed with 3.1.4.

There are some other issues that I find niggling but that has been the largest sore point for me. I genuinely hope it can be re-enabled in 3.2.2 for those who dont wish to allow members to upload files to the server and not perhaps some other update down the road.

This is precisely why you're allowed a test board - to see whether the software is suitable for you.

Frankly, it's your fault if you installed it without (1) testing the software yourself and (2) being 100% happy with what the software does.

This is precisely why you're allowed a test board - to see whether the software is suitable for you.

Frankly, it's your fault if you installed it without (1) testing the software yourself and (2) being 100% happy with what the software does.

Totally agree.

Even more so if the "features are vital for their community." as how the OP originally put it.

I'm not so sure the 5 day demo for 3.2.1 was even available when I downloaded it? Or is the test board something else entirely?

It was only a few days after that I had downloaded and installed it that invisionpower.com was updated to reflect 3.2.1 (and therefore mentioning being able to try out a demo) as it seemed to still be about 3.1.4 and http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/ still is about 3.1.4.

A Little harsh maybe?

But it's a fair point. There is nothing stopping you setting up a dev/test board to fully try out the software to see if it were suitable.

Although on the other hand, it is surprising that such features were removed given that it was only a x.x update and not a full new version as with v2 - v3 I think more features were actually removed in the 3.1 - 3.2 update than the v2 - v3 update...

A Little harsh maybe?

But it's a fair point. There is nothing stopping you setting up a dev/test board to fully try out the software to see if it were suitable.

Although on the other hand, it is surprising that such features were removed given that it was only a x.x update and not a full new version as with v2 - v3 I think more features were actually removed in the 3.1 - 3.2 update than the v2 - v3 update...

There is nothing stopping IPS from posting a list of features removed either. It's their software and they know it better than us and we shouldn't have to waste time digging through the software when they can just tell us.

They listed a few of the things that were removed. Why not all of them?

How can people that don't have an active license test the software beforehand? They may have well tested it, but the money is lost if they choose not to use it :wink:
The demo is a possible solution, but you can't test out everything there.

Therefore I'm all for a more open type of announcements. Would have saved alot of tears and bad blood.

I'm not trying to cover people too lazy to test out the new versions!

There is nothing stopping IPS from posting a list of features removed either. It's their software and they know it better than us and we shouldn't have to waste time digging through the software when they can just tell us.

http://community.inv...ed-apps-so-far/

They listed a few of the things that were removed. Why not all of them?

Because it isn't their job to list features removed?

For the record, we had a pinned topic listing changes coming in 3.2, which did list, more or less, all of the features that were removed. It may have been changed to an announcement at some point, I can't recall, but in any event it was removed when 3.2 was finally released. For those who were following the 3.2 developments prior to it's release, such a list was available at that time.

How do you figure?

The demo lasts for 5 days, not 5 minutes.

I would think that people would look for the things that are vital to their community first.

You still can't test out everything, not even in 5 months of testing, for you can't install mods and hooks... atleast it was like that when I tested IPB!

How are you supposed to know if your addons and plugins and extensions ... will work if you are no programmer?

I'm not so sure the 5 day demo for 3.2.1 was even available when I downloaded it?

The demo system works in such a way that it is updated as soon as any new version is in the client area.

You are also though, welcome to create a separate installation of your software to test whatever you like in as much time as you like :)

The demo system works in such a way that it is updated as soon as any new version is in the client area.

You are also though, welcome to create a separate installation of your software to test whatever you like in as much time as you like :)

Oh ok. That is helpful now. Thanks.

I was just previously under the impression it wasn't ready to test the new version as the website hadn't been updated to reflect it, but yeah.. I will remember this for next time! :)

Archived