This sites hosting - load times - server load etc.

Rhett

there is no reason for the load to be higher then 1.0..... anything over 1.0 means the site is lacking in performance

I know I don't have to explain this to you though Charles.... lol

I run a small dedicated server business and this is my life, I would not steer you wrong or state misguided fact's.

classic.....

Well, in short, assuming this server is not a single core (fairly safe bet, i'd say), you're wrong.

Take 5 minutes to read up on load averages

http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages

;)

EDIT: however, I do agree, its not as fast as it could be. For want of a better word, its not 'snappy'.. its not slow either, but it really should load pretty much instantly every time. I wonder what yslow says.

Well, in short, assuming this server is not a single core (fairly safe bet, i'd say), you're wrong.

Take 5 minutes to read up on load averages

[url="http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages"]http://blog.scoutapp...g-load-averages[/url]

;)

EDIT: however, I do agree, its not as fast as it could be. For want of a better word, its not 'snappy'.. its not slow either, but it really should load pretty much instantly every time. I wonder what yslow says.

Why do you want to argue a mute point?, this thread was not to argue over what server load means... you can go argue that one webhosttalking if you want too.

anyway this thread is about nothing more then feedback based on my customers and myself, it's directed at IPB not the members.

Im on here almost all day everyday and generally it loads pretty well, however this week there has been the occasional problem. For example, just took me over a minute to load the board index (which is why i'm in this topic) but now everything seems fine again.

I'm also on a fiber optic 50meg connection and everything else was loading fine so I've excluded my internet being a possible cause. It is very rare that this does happen, but its been a bit more frequent over the last week (frequent being maybe 3 or 4 times this week).

• Management

I guess I have too fast of a connection so I see everything that's slow... lmao

I don't have fiber either... so take that... lol

[img]

[/img]

I appreciate you feel you have enough knowledge to draw vast conclusions as it relates to server loads, however, you should understand that there is more to server load than sheer number. You have absolutely no idea the physical specifications for the forums server, so I'm baffled as to how you could conclude a load of 3 or 4 is life-ending :frantic: -- the machine has multiple processors and multiple cores... that load is perfectly within specs.

The issue has actually been narrowed down to a network glitch, which is being resolved as we speak.

I appreciate you feel you have enough knowledge to draw vast conclusions as it relates to server loads, however, you should understand that there is more to server load than sheer number. You have absolutely no idea the physical specifications for the forums server, so I'm baffled as to how you could conclude a load of 3 or 4 is life-ending :frantic: -- the machine has multiple processors and multiple cores... that load is perfectly within specs.

The issue has actually been narrowed down to a network glitch, which is being resolved as we speak.

If you are the CEO here then you should know and understand server loads, a fast site for showing your product, etc.... you should also appreciate this thread that drew attention to an issue that when resolved will make your site a better sales tool.

With that said, the slow loading times directly corresponded to the higher server loads, there is no denying that, while yes there are many factors involved, the fact remains that this site if properly configured and setup on proper hardware should never see a load of 6.0 +

That's the bottom line if you want the best which I expect no less from IPB.

Look at the positive in life people, focus on it and excel with it, don't look at things in a negative light or your whole life will be directed in that path.

If you are the CEO here then you should know and understand server loads, a fast site for showing your product, etc.... you should also appreciate this thread that drew attention to an issue that when resolved will make your site a better sales tool.

With that said, the slow loading times directly corresponded to the higher server loads, there is no denying that, while yes there are many factors involved, the fact remains that this site if properly configured and setup on proper hardware should never see a load of 6.0 +

That's the bottom line if you want the best which I expect no less from IPB.

Look at the positive in life people, focus on it and excel with it, don't look at things in a negative light or your whole life will be directed in that path.

I can tell you with absolute certainty, Lindy is fully aware of how server load averages work and how to manage a server. He oversees our entire hosting operation, which includes hundreds of servers.

Many things can cause a server's load average to increase, and it is very possible for a server hosting complex systems to have a load average increase to 6+. Many disk intensive operations such as backup compression, Sphinx reindexing and the like can cause a load average spike whilst the real world web server performance impact is negligible.

Looking at our statistics, the server has been performing very well the past few days. With 600 users currently online, it's sitting happily at a load average of 1.5 with 70% memory available. I'd say we're doing ok.

Charles, I pointed out the loads as they directly relate to the slow loading times of this site, I run a small dedicated server business and this is my life, I would not steer you wrong or state misguided fact's. My intentions are what's best for all of us IPB users.

Now I see the loads were removed from the board..... lol

classic.....

FYI, you divide the server load by the number of CPUs. If the server has 16 cores and the load is 4.00, then it's still only 0.25 actual load. The most common culprit of high CPU loads isn't actually CPU usage, but disk waits.

And for the record, I've never seen this site slow.

And just for comparison's sake, even though your's is dated 10/12/2010:

%7Boption%7D

With the traffic on this site there is no reason for the load to be higher then 1.0..... anything over 1.0 means the site is lacking in performance and there are processes waiting to be handled.

Why do you want to argue a mute point?, this thread was not to argue over what server load means... you can go argue that one webhosttalking if you want too.

R1Lover
First YOU bring up the issue of server loads. Then when many users point out that server loads need to be seen in context of other server issues, you question why people are arguing about server loads mean. Then YOU bring up the subject of server loads again!

:mad:

• Management

R1Lover: Thanks for pointing our performance issues. We have made some changes that will hopefully help. Yes, you're slightly incorrect about your interpretation of server loads and what they mean but that wasn't the spirit of your post :)

Archived