This sites hosting - load times - server load etc.

Rhett

I have said this before but after hearing form another customer how slow this forum is I will say it again...

This site your selling point, customers use this site to see this software and how it works, the speed of the site is of utmost importance.

I often find myself referring customers to my own sites as this one often has server loads upwards of 6.0 as it did just a few minutes ago. This results is poor performance of the site and slow page loading times.

I highly recommend that you put this site on it's own dedicated server, even a small one will do with the current user-base and members online.

If it's already on a dedicated server I suggest you have a server admin look at it as it's performing very poorly for a dedicated server if it is one.

There is no reason this site should not be one of the fastest IPB sites on the web and I would bet a nice chunk of change that it will also increase your sales.

I am on our forums almost all day and haven't experienced any speed issues. Is there a specific time of day you are seeing problems?

Like i said above when the server load is higher like it was when I posted this thread... 6.43 there is a depay of a few seconds on every page load.

Right now it's currently 3.36

With the traffic on this site there is no reason for the load to be higher then 1.0..... anything over 1.0 means the site is lacking in performance and there are processes waiting to be handled.

I know I don't have to explain this to you though Charles.... lol

I would just like to see a very fast site here and not hear it's slow from my customers.

If your here all day, then maybe your acclimated to the slowness..... all of my sites run on servers with very low loads (under 1.0) and they make this site look like it has arthritis.

lol

for example that post submit took 4 seconds to process.....

Load isn't a be all end all to server performance and the load number on our server is contributed by other factors than IPB :)

Regardless though we'll look into it. We just aren't seeing any performance problems.

As I have mentioned this before and the same result was given... but I thought it was worth mentioning again as I keep hearing the same complaints about IPB... and it upsets me as on a proper server it runs very fast.

And yes the high load on the server is a direct results of either an over loaded server or a improperly configured one.

How very odd. It loads quite speedy for me.

You may have better caching than some people =p

With that said, a 4-6 load average isn't going to be the end all decider on if something loads with the snap of the finger. My machines can go up to about 10 before they get any real issues, things like transport latency packet loss and a large hit of queries are more likely to slow
IP Board down than anything

currently 6.5 load time and here in NZ and the post took over a minute to load

The main issue I have is when the site goes AWOL altogether

edit: when it finally posted load was 13.25

the edit took 20 seconds

One issue is the distance you are for sure... but the load of 6.5 is the main culprit

How very odd. It loads quite speedy for me.

If your used to a Volkswagen then riding in one will be perfectly normal..... :)

Not sure what else we could do other then video your site loading compared to one on a good server that is not over loaded maybe?

You may have better caching than some people =p

With that said, a 4-6 load average isn't going to be the end all decider on if something loads with the snap of the finger. My machines can go up to about 10 before they get any real issues, things like transport latency packet loss and a large hit of queries are more likely to slow

IP Board down than anything

It's all about performance... sure you can run a site on a server load of 4 or even 10-15 if you want too.... but when you want an instant response your not going to get it.

My main point was not "What could you run" my point was this site is a SELLING TOOL it needs to be speedy and fast. That's ok though if they don't care enough about it to do anything... I have my own sites I refer people to for proper loading times etc.

My comments were for the best interest of IPB not just me...

It's all about performance... sure you can run a site on a server load of 4 or even 10-15 if you want too.... but when you want an instant response your not going to get it.

My main point was not "What could you run" my point was this site is a SELLING TOOL it needs to be speedy and fast. That's ok though if they don't care enough about it to do anything... I have my own sites I refer people to for proper loading times etc.

My comments were for the best interest of IPB not just me...

*blink* and how many of your performance preview sites have close to 600 users online at any time, and is integrated into Nexus, Market Place, and also serving API requests to thousands of boards?

No one is going to expect a site to load at the drop of a dime every time, anyone who does is unreasonable and really does not take into account the rather large amount of variables... like it or not, a 2 second load time is really nothing

• Management

We of course want the site to be speedy but pointing out the load averages doesn't really mean anything. Anyone with server experience will tell you that load numbers are only one part of the equation.

Like I said, we will look into it. We just never experience issues ourselves.

And yes, as Robulosity2 said, there's more going on with this server than a stock IPB install.

*blink* and how many of your performance preview sites have close to 600 users online at any time, and is integrated into Nexus, Market Place, and also serving API requests to thousands of boards?

No one is going to expect a site to load at the drop of a dime every time, anyone who does is unreasonable and really does not take into account the rather large amount of variables... like it or not, a 2 second load time is really nothing

Actually a few do and much more then you mentioned, but this is not a pissing contest.

We of course want the site to be speedy but pointing out the load averages doesn't really mean anything. Anyone with server experience will tell you that load numbers are only one part of the equation.

Like I said, we will look into it. We just never experience issues ourselves.

And yes, as Robulosity2 said, there's more going on with this server than a stock IPB install.

Charles, I pointed out the loads as they directly relate to the slow loading times of this site, I run a small dedicated server business and this is my life, I would not steer you wrong or state misguided fact's. My intentions are what's best for all of us IPB users.

Now I see the loads were removed from the board..... lol

classic.....

Without knowing the number of cpus in the server, server load is pretty meaningless. A server with 4 cpus running at load 4.0 is generally considered to be under the same load as a server with one cpu running at a load 1.0.

There are many other factors influencing the server speed apart from server load, so what is important is the user experience. Personally I find the IPB site pretty good, especially given the traffic on it.

• Management

Charles, I pointed out the loads as they directly relate to the slow loading times of this site, I run a small dedicated server business and this is my life, I would not steer you wrong or state misguided fact's. My intentions are what's best for all of us IPB users.

Now I see the loads were removed from the board..... lol

classic.....

Yes I know :) it's just that some people will read that and be all "zomg the load is over 1.0!!! :frantics: " because they don't understand what it all means.

Without knowing the number of cpus in the server, server load is pretty meaningless. A server with 4 cpus running at load 4.0 is generally considered to be under the same load as a server with one cpu running at a load 1.0.

There are many other factors influencing the server speed apart from server load, so what is important is the user experience. Personally I find the IPB site pretty good, especially given the traffic on it.

This all depends on what version of linux you are running and how it's configured for read loads etc.... this is a long time "Shared hosting" trick to pull on customers... "Oh there are 8 cores so therefore you can have a load of 8 and it's normal" lol not true in most cases.

Archived