Download: iArcade System 1.0.0 Final

Andy Rixon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not seen the product yet except in screen shots but from the threads and reading some of the feedback you both deserve a pat on the back for taking on the challenge and working toward a solution when others just gave up.

Kudos to both of you and I am looking forward to a beta and seeing what you have done.

Kudos to both of you and I am looking forward to a beta and seeing what you have done.

I agree! And I'll thank them by sending some dough$ to show my appreciation. I haven't checked, but I assume you'll have a paypal donate link or something set up when a final release is ready.

Thanks for your work on this. Very much appreciated!

Not sure if this has been addressed, but will the games still be trying to load from "admin/application_addons/etc/etc/etc"?

Yes. You are the first to address this, and I honestly had not given it any thought.
I take it this is a concern to you?
It would be very simple to change the game folder to something like /games/
I put it under the admin folder for security reasons.

I agree! And I'll thank them by sending some dough$ to show my appreciation. I haven't checked, but I assume you'll have a paypal donate link or something set up when a final release is ready.

Andy has a paypal donation link in his signature, and he promised on good faith to send me half the donations.
Regardless, I have a direct paypal donation email. If you would like to send me a donation, please PM me.

Yes. You are the first to address this, and I honestly had not given it any thought.

I take it this is a concern to you?

It would be very simple to change the game folder to something like /games/

I put it under the admin folder for security reasons.

Putting it in the /admin/ folder is a security of security. If someone renames their admin folder, then they must change the location within the skins. By doing that, someone could see the source of the swf files and know what the admin folder is named.

Some place like /public/resources/iarcade/ would be much better.

Putting it in the /admin/ folder is a security of security. If someone renames their admin folder, then they must change the location within the skins. By doing that, someone could see the source of the swf files and know what the admin folder is named.

Some place like /public/resources/iarcade/ would be much better.

Now that I think about this, I have to agree with you wolfie.

Reason I mentioned /public/resources/iarcade/ earlier was to reduce clutter and try to follow some sort of logic of where the files would end up going.

If all the mods were to put things into folders located in the forum root, then it defeats the purpose of trying to organize things. It shouldn't go into the admin area because it's possible to see the path via a html source check. It's no an attachment or other member file, so uploads is out. It's part of an application, thus, /public/. Don't want to just start crapping that folder with a bunch of other folders, so better to use what's there already. To me, the resources folder is the best option.

The other alternative is to try to encourage everyone to use some sort of common folder structure, such as /public/add_ons/ and /public/hooks/ to help keep things organized so that future IPB upgrades won't leave someone wondering, "What do I keep and what do I delete?"

Im already running a test Games site working off a free forum but using i think IPB 1.3 (i think the last version that IPB offered for free)...

games site

Anyway, my question is, My host wont allow me to host game files on my server, so the games i have now i run them from a photobucket pro account. Will there be an option of linking games like this from a separate host (like photobucket) or will they have to be hosted on my own server. :thumbsup:

The other alternative is to try to encourage everyone to use some sort of common folder structure, such as /public/add_ons/ and /public/hooks/ to help keep things organized so that future IPB upgrades won't leave someone wondering, "What do I keep and what do I delete?"

Yes I think thats where I would want it /forum/games :thumbsup: thanks

I want it in the structure Wolfie mentioned above.... much less cluttered :P

Anyway, my question is, My host wont allow me to host game files on my server, so the games i have now i run them from a photobucket pro account. Will there be an option of linking games like this from a separate host (like photobucket) or will they have to be hosted on my own server. :thumbsup:

So, first thing I did was set it up to use a new folder structure. /games
Then I read .Wolfie's post and changed it to a new structure.
Then I was re-writing some docs, and thought to myself "this is way too confusing to invent my own folder structure."
Then you said do /games again
Then Andy said .Wolfie's way

Then I got really annoyed after having changed the code 3 times in the past day, last minute, to make this change (as it is security related, i felt it should be made)

So..... Its an admin setting. Just like path to uploads is. path to games folder.
(YES, THIS WILL WORK WITH PHOTOBUCKET!)

*sigh*
I hope your all happy.

So..... Its an admin setting. Just like path to uploads is. path to games folder.

That's a good solution, especially if the default is {forumroot}/public/resources/iarcade/games/some/other/folder/to/make/it/even/deeper

Okay kidding.. That is a good alternative, because then it opens up the possibility in the future to be able to protect the games from being outsourced by others (sort of an anti-leech). So if someone wants to play offer a game, they can't use your website for the swf but get the credit for the game.

Or you could set it up to use the public folder, but within that, they can choose the folder structure (resources/games or apps/iarcade or iarcade/games, etc) Sort of encouraging the structure idea but giving some control at the same time. :)

That's a good solution, especially if the default is {forumroot}/public/resources/iarcade/games/some/other/folder/to/make/it/even/deeper

Okay kidding.. That is a good alternative, because then it opens up the possibility in the future to be able to protect the games from being outsourced by others (sort of an anti-leech). So if someone wants to play offer a game, they can't use your website for the swf but get the credit for the game.

Or you could set it up to use the public folder, but within that, they can choose the folder structure (resources/games or apps/iarcade or iarcade/games, etc) Sort of encouraging the structure idea but giving some control at the same time. :)

Im not going to invent a new folder structure for apps. I like your idea and all, but I found documentation for where to put games was too confusing for users.

The default path will be /games to prevent exposing the admin directory. It is easily changeable via the ACP.

I'll donate a kidney.

I'll just take the street value in cash, please.

(or some plus rep....)

I'll just take the [url="http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2007/05/india_transplants_prices"]street value in cash[/url], please.

I'll take 10% or $1,000, whichever is greater. :)

[sub][sup][size="1"](or some plus rep....)[/size][/sup][/sub]

And people call ME a rep whore... <_<

Archived