Download: iArcade System 1.0.0 Final

Andy Rixon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea/any word on the ibparcade being updated for IPB3? Kind of afraid to ask on there because it seems like anytime someone asks, the thread is closed after pointing to another closed thread where it says something will be announced soon but then that's all.

I see foot dragging and no demos or working versions. I dont expect it any time soon, its already been like 6 months.

I see foot dragging and no demos or working versions. I dont expect it any time soon, its already been like 6 months.

Over 6 months, especially if you include the beta's, which could have been used for starting the planning and development of the new arcade system. Just find it a bit concerning that if you ask, you don't get anything other than a link to a closed thread along with the closing of that thread. At least with IPB development, you get tidbits of information here and there so you know it's being worked on, know progress is being made and you get some idea of when something might get released (although I'm always against guarantees being made because that causes problems).

Over 6 months, especially if you include the beta's, which could have been used for starting the planning and development of the new arcade system. Just find it a bit concerning that if you ask, you don't get anything other than a link to a closed thread along with the closing of that thread. At least with IPB development, you get tidbits of information here and there so you know it's being worked on, know progress is being made and you get some idea of when something might get released (although I'm always against guarantees being made because that causes problems).

Yeah, it leads me to believe that nothing is actually being done.
Last I checked, there were talks of encoding the mod too.

There is an arcade work in progress at this time. :)

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/300230-download-iarcade-system-beta-3

Does that work with the 10,000 games I have now?

@Amy T: Im working on coding the highscores right now. :devil:

Does this mean that you're expanding your arcade or is it still to give people a temporary 'fix' until one of the others are released?

Does this mean that you're expanding your arcade or is it still to give people a temporary 'fix' until one of the others are released?

This isnt my mod.
I talked with Andy about expanding this mod to have high scores, and im coding that for him.
Its being worked on.... But this mod will be nowhere as big as Ibpro.

From what Colin has been doing, this will no longer be a tempary app untill others are released.

This isnt my mod.

I talked with Andy about expanding this mod to have high scores, and im coding that for him.

Its being worked on.... But this mod will be nowhere as big as Ibpro.

You never know about that, the way ibpro has been going who knows.

Update for everyone, High scores are working.

In BETA 3 right now, all the games are hard-coded. Each game has its own play template, and a switch function in arcade.php

In BETA 4, I have entirely re-done the code base. Gone are the hardcoded switch functions and per-game templates.
Now, each game is called from the database, where a width, height, and description are added.

This makes easy of use and consistency very simple.

In a future BETA, an Admin Uploader will be added.

ALSO! FOR THOSE OF YOU UPGRADING FROM IBPROARCADE!
A "hack" has been created for your index.php file to allow all games to be backwards compatible.
This means that any "v2" ibproarcade games will work perfectly with iArcade's scoring system.
This will, sadly, require a manual file edit, however, it is only 1. :thumbsup:

I hope to send over the beta to Andy shortly!

I would like to thank Colin for the help he has given to the app, the help is appreciated, and I am glad that you are improving this system to make it into a more fully functional system, and would like to thank everyone else who has given feedback and thoughts on this.

I can say that Colin is doing a great job with improving this, and I'm sure he can give a bit more insight of exactly whats going on since he has a working beta with the new features that he has added, since I have not got a copy of his work yet.

Update for everyone, High scores are working.

In BETA 3 right now, all the games are hard-coded. Each game has its own play template, and a switch function in arcade.php

In BETA 4, I have entirely re-done the code base. Gone are the hardcoded switch functions and per-game templates.

Now, each game is called from the database, where a width, height, and description are added.

This makes easy of use and consistency very simple.

In a future BETA, an Admin Uploader will be added.

[u]

ALSO! FOR THOSE OF YOU UPGRADING FROM IBPROARCADE![/u]

A "hack" has been created for your index.php file to allow all games to be backwards compatible.

This means that any "v2" ibproarcade games will work perfectly with iArcade's scoring system.

This will, sadly, require a manual file edit, however, it is only 1. :thumbsup:

I hope to send over the beta to Andy shortly!

This is fantastic news and something that can be built upon outside of the IBPro Arcade mod.

Required things (in my humble opinion)
High scores (which you've added)
A tidy front page for selecting games and seeing latest high-scores, perhaps latest games to be added to the arcade (v3 Arcade for vBulletin has a sidebar which has a block with "Latest Arcade News" which includes latest scores and latest games to be added).
Current high score beside the flash game so that the member can see what he has to beat.
Game categories
Admin uploads of games (which you are adding)

Thanks for working on an arcade mod :)

Any idea when this will be released to us eager IPB'ers?

This is fantastic news and something that can be built upon outside of the IBPro Arcade mod.

[u]

Required things (in my humble opinion)[/u]

A tidy front page for selecting games and seeing latest high-scores, perhaps latest games to be added to the arcade (v3 Arcade for vBulletin has a sidebar which has a block with "Latest Arcade News" which includes latest scores and latest games to be added).

Current high score beside the flash game so that the member can see what he has to beat.

Game categories

1. Yep already added
2. This in the works :D
3. Theres already a news feature which you could use for this
4. That could be looked in to
5. I'll have to consult with Colin regarding this
6. Colin is working on this feature as we speak :D

Great Ideas :D

Also, I'm not to sure for timelines yet as Colin has done alot of work on this, I'm sure he will see this topic and reply with a rough estimated timeline (but of course I get my hands on it before you to update my version, check things and then release it)

Tiny update, I am currently awaiting reply from Charles (IPS Management) to allow me to change the name of this app from iArcade to IP.Arcade.
If this is allowed please note that this will be in no way affiliated with IPS, you will only be able to gain support from this topic from me or Colin1000 (If he wants to support you crazy lot (w00t) )

This name change will only appear in the next BETA (BETA 4) which will have the features that was mentions in Colins last reply (Well hope to have these features working currectly).

Nice! :thumbsup:

Will it still be "app=iArcade" ?

Yeah, makes it easier to upgrade, will be just a simple name change in the footer etc, just waiting on Charles to reply.

By the way Booth, BETA 3 is out and I advise that you upgrade lol also, the arcade link isn't working, on your site its index.php?app=arcade when it is actually index.php?app=iArcade (this is on Blackburn Web)

[u]

Required things (in my humble opinion)[/u]

As you said, there is now *basic* high score support. Its just starting out, and there is room for improvement. It will be feedback from you guys who help to make it more powerful.

Im working on a board hook for the index sidebar that would show the latest 5 scores. Note, this will not be ready in the next beta.

This is a great suggestion, and I will add this to my todo list. Currently, the right hand "information box" displays game description/controls (editable via ACP)

Game categories

The backend "works" for adding this in the future are being designed in the next beta, however, for the frontend interface, there will be no catagories.

The reason for this being is that in the next version, there is not yet support for game thumbnails - I will be adding this in a version to come.

This is a work in progress, and I have run into several "blockers" (an issue that prevents functionality) while testing this feature.

Your welcome

I plan to fully package up all of the code sometime in the next 7 days, then it needs to be sent to Andy for final review and some skinning tweaks. The date keeps getting pushed back (I had planned to send it all over today) because of tweaks and last minute "feature addons" but I am self-imposing a freeze on new features at this point.

I have already talked to Andy, and the next beta will not be submitted to Customer Resources because I just want to get it out there for testing and feedback.

Think of it as a beta for a beta (but not an alpha) and as such, should not be used in a production environment.

I'll try to get a screencast up for you guys in the next day or two.

Hey guys, ive got a quick little demo for you of the playthru.

NOTE:
The game listing page, as well as the high scores listing, are not yet skinned. They will look much prettier, dont worry.
Im only doing the coding side of things, really.

Check out the demo:
http://screencast.com/t/ODNkZGMzNDM

Yeah, makes it easier to upgrade, will be just a simple name change in the footer etc, just waiting on Charles to reply.

By the way Booth, BETA 3 is out and I advise that you upgrade lol also, the arcade link isn't working, on your site its index.php?app=arcade when it is actually index.php?app=iArcade (this is on Blackburn Web)

Yes I know, I was only testing iArcade. The skin was originally intended for use with IBProArcade. I won't use the non-scores version yet as I just know I'll get complaints about that (we're going from IBProArcade on vBulletin, so they are used to saved scores and get annoyed if there's ever a glitch and scores don't save).

I'll try to get a screencast up for you guys in the next day or two.

Thanks for the answers Colin, and the screencast :) Thaks to Andy too :thumbsup:

Update for you guys, Ive added usernames to the high score listing pages! :thumbsup:

I also added "game comments" although the DESIGN is there for them, the backend coding will not be released until a future version.

Im still trying to figure out just how I want to skin the high scores table. It looks so... yuky right now

Archived