Emoticons - its time for much needed overhaul!

The Old Man

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

I understand what you're saying but just as many people would point out their own personal must have feature change as being critical as you are here :)

We did make some improvements to emoticon management in 3.2 but we do want to do more.

We wanted to overhaul emoticons but did not have time in 3.2. Every improvement in 3.2 was based on client-feedback. Just because we didn't implement your feedback doesn't mean we are somehow on the wrong track :smile:

+1
I'm the one who don't like how the emoticon management does right now in IPB but by looking of the improvement on 3.2, I choose those than emoticon management to be the important thing to correct.
Man, I really love what IPB done to 3.2...can't wait till it's available :)

Smilies Display & Organization Suggestion

When a user clicks on more for smilies they will see a small popup page for the default smilie category with a drop down menu to all other categories. A user can then choose another category from the drop down menu and be presented with another page containing all the smilies in the chosen category. With so many admins using a lot of smilies, it would make perfect sense to be able to organize them better with creating category pages rather than category sections all on one page. If you would like to see an example of how it can be done well, please look at this option. Originally suggested on vb.

Take all the smilie categories and create a page for each category. Or at least look like it.

Smilie Category

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I too think the smiley/emoticon management should be updated.

Example is i just uploaded 800 emoticons, imported the xml archive and now have 800 unassigned emoticons that i must assign one by one.

Now if only i could assign all, it would make my day but i can't, my hands are tied and now i must spend hours loading and reloading the smileys in ACP to assign.

You can see why not many bother with smiley packs if you have this hurdle everytime.

Also, this topic has been dead for 7 months. Just make a new one. People won't read that the first post is from 2009.

:cry: Untrue! This topic also helps show how long people have been waiting for an overhaul of the emoticon management and proper categorisation that you can turn on and off (ideal for season themed icons). I wish I could program!

Also, this topic has been dead for 7 months. Just make a new one. People won't read that the first post is from 2009.

Very untrue, I have just read this topic from start to finish.

I think that the emoticon system should be easier to use, to have the ability to re-order them is great, but we also need to mass enable, and better categorisation.

I will admit that it is not on my agenda right now, but it is something i wont do because it is simply too hard and timely to do.

• 6 months later...

Archived