How to install Sphinx with IPB

Andrew.S.

[quote name='RainbowViper' date='03 September 2009 - 10:51 PM' timestamp='1252036311' post='1852409']
You can deploy Sphinx in a multi-user configuration, but you have to have separate installations of the installation-specific files (in ./bin, ./etc, and ./var) for each install of IPB, and make sure each search daemon is running on a different port. I did this on my dedi server. Once I got it all sorted out, it worked great.
[/quote]
Yeah, I have it running on three different installs right now (my 2.3.6 forum, which is offline except for me as a reference), my development 3.0.2 forum and my live 3.0.2 forum. It works well, although only the live forum is getting any significant use. :)

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note for anyone running sphinx on a server other than the forums server.

The configuration file that is built by IPB is correct for 99% of the time, except in a multiserver install where remote hosts will connect to the sphinx install on a different server to that of the web, you need to change one line, the address line in searchd:
[code]searchd
{
#address = 127.0.0.1
address = vlan ip or listening ip
port = 3312
log = /var/sphinx/log/searchd.log
query_log = /var/sphinx/log/query.log
read_timeout = 5
max_children = 30
pid_file = /var/sphinx/log/searchd.pid
max_matches = 1000
seamless_rotate = 0
preopen_indexes = 0
unlink_old = 1
}
[/code]
[quote]
8.4. searchd program configuration options
8.4.1. address

Interface IP address to bind on. Optional, default is 0.0.0.0 (ie. listen on all interfaces).

address setting lets you specify which network interface searchd will bind to, listen on, and accept incoming network connections on. The default value is 0.0.0.0 which means to listen on all interfaces. At the time, you can not specify multiple interfaces.
Example:

address = 192.168.0.1
[/quote]

By using address = 127.0.0.1 sphinx only listens to localhost, thus your web nodes will return no results despite being indexed.

Hope this helps.

I am trying to install Sphinx on a Windows server using the Windows install instructions found on the Sphinx site, and this part seems to have gone fine. I have Sphinx installed on C:\Sphinx. I created a C:\Sphinx\log directory for the working directory. In IPB ACP, what do I need to have as the base path? I put C:\Sphinx in but no indexes where made.

On a second note, I have three installs that I want Sphinx to work with. What do I need to do to get working for each? Can I just have 1 install of Sphinx?

• 5 months later...

[quote] make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/sphinx-0.9.9/src'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../config -DSYSCONFDIR="\"/usr/local/etc\"" -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/mysql -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -mcpu=i486 -fno-strength-reduce -Wall -g -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O3 -DNDEBUG -MT sphinx.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/sphinx.Tpo -c -o sphinx.o sphinx.cpp
`-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
[b]/usr/local/include/iodbcunix.h:128: error: conflicting declaration 'typedef unsigned int DWORD'
sphinxstd.h:90: error: 'DWORD' has a previous declaration as 'typedef long unsigned int DWORD'[/b]
sphinx.cpp: In function 'CSphString sphDumpAttr(const CSphColumnInfo&)':
sphinx.cpp:4784: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 4 has type 'long unsigned int'
sphinx.cpp:4784: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 4 has type 'long unsigned int'
sphinx.cpp: In member function 'virtual void CSphIndex_VLN::DebugDumpHeader(FILE*, const char*)':
sphinx.cpp:14563: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 3 has type 'DWORD'
sphinx.cpp:14592: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 3 has type 'long unsigned int'
sphinx.cpp:14631: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 3 has type 'DWORD'
sphinx.cpp: In member function 'virtual void CSphIndex_VLN::DebugDumpDocids(FILE*)':
sphinx.cpp:14648: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 3 has type 'DWORD'
sphinx.cpp:14655: warning: format '%u' expects type 'unsigned int', but argument 2 has type 'long unsigned int'
sphinx.cpp: In member function 'virtual void CSphIndex_VLN::DebugDumpHitlist(FILE*, const char*)':
sphinx.cpp:14710: warning: format '%08x' expects type 'unsigned int', but argument 4 has type 'DWORD'
sphinx.cpp: In member function 'virtual bool CSphSource_ODBC::SqlQuery(const char*)':
sphinx.cpp:21288: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
sphinx.cpp: At global scope:
sphinx.cpp:1741: warning: 'g_tmInitTimer' defined but not used
make[2]: *** [sphinx.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/sphinx-0.9.9/src'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/sphinx-0.9.9/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1[/quote]

Anyone know what the problem can be?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello,

I successfully installed sphinx 2.0.1-beta (Apr 2011) over IP.Board 3.2.2 and build indexes of Forum, Gallery and Blog.
Unfortunately, I cant find how to build index of Members.
There is no such option in configuration file that is offered by IPB. It is takes up to 10-15 seconds to find a member and it is really annoying for moderators.

Can somebody provide the sample of sphinx.conf that will create the index of Members?

Any link to relevant topic would be really helpful!

Archived