When a thread is moved, thread's stared receive a pm

edivad

[quote name='bfarber' date='19 June 2009 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1245417515' post='1811609']
It's not a bad idea, if there was an on/off setting. That's my personal opinion on this. ;)

Would allow me to move some topics without having to leave the "Moved to:" link.

Can it be done via hook?

[quote name='bfarber' date='19 June 2009 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1245417515' post='1811609']
It's not a bad idea, if there was an on/off setting. That's my personal opinion on this. ;)

Would allow me to move some topics without having to leave the "Moved to:" link.

Brandon, if you decide to add it in (like in 3.1.x), I'd like to offer a few ideas...

#1 per ACP, per forum (Off/Optional/Forced on)
#2 per member group, option to override the "forced on" setting, so a super moderator, for example, might be able to skip notifying the topic creator.
#3 be able to add the notify feature within multi-moderation functions (as either off/optional/forced on). If a forum has it as off or forced on, then that setting is honored (unless that member group allows override). If it's set to optional, then the multi-moderation setting is used.
#4 per forum/multi-moderation, allow to notify [only topic starter/topic starter + others who posted in topic] and option to notify those who are forum leaders.

I know, a lot of work, but hoping that if nothing else, it'll give you some ideas to toy with. :) Could be really useful, especially if there is that much control over it.

I personally don't like this idea. I always get enough PMs about things that should be posted on the forums, this would be just one more thing that I'll need to answer questions about 'offline' instead of having the reason for the topic being moved being visible right there in the topic. Just use the shadow topic feature, and add a task that will clear those out after a few days, and topic starters will have no problems finding their moved topics.

I think that the only purpose of the PM would be to notify you and nothing more. Although come to think of it, I wonder if there would be a way for there to be a notification without it chewing up a PM slot. Where it would only be a notification with the only action being to keep or delete the notification.

[quote name='Μichael' date='19 June 2009 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1245432363' post='1811687']
I personally don't like this idea. I always get enough PMs about things that should be posted on the forums, this would be just one more thing that I'll need to answer questions about 'offline' instead of having the reason for the topic being moved being visible right there in the topic. Just use the shadow topic feature, and add a task that will clear those out after a few days, and topic starters will have no problems finding their moved topics.

if you think about it how many of your topics actually get moved? i think you'll find it very few over a long period of time. I would suggest a setting in the member controls though to turn off notifications from their moved topics tho.

[quote name='Jaggi' date='19 June 2009 - 07:59 PM' timestamp='1245455952' post='1811795']
if you think about it how many of your topics actually get moved? i think you'll find it very few over a long period of time. I would suggest a setting in the member controls though to turn off notifications from their moved topics tho.

Not my topics, but I'm the one who moves a lot of the topics, so I'm the one whose going to get asked why the topic was moved.

[quote name='Μichael' date='19 June 2009 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1245458210' post='1811805']
Not my topics, but I'm the one who moves a lot of the topics, so I'm the one whose going to get asked why the topic was moved.

That's why it would be a good idea if it was a notification instead of a PM and then you'd have something about the forums rules or policies where it shouldn't be questioned unless the member is severely convinced that it was moved for the wrong reason or moved to the wrong place.

But also, could always turn it off. :)

[quote name='bfarber' date='19 June 2009 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1245417515' post='1811609']

Can you add an option on the confirmation page to remove the "Moved to:" link after X days? VB has this and I think it's nice.

Leave No Redirect
Leave Permanent Redirect
Leave Expiring Redirect
Expires in (drop down, X hours/days/weeks//months/years)
Redirect Title:

• 2 years later...

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1245681486' post='1812456']
I like the idea of auto-expiring moved links. Would save from having to install a task to do this (which I know a lot of people did with 2.3)

Hope this gets added to a future release. ;)

Archived