Anyone miss the old IPB?

Drizzy

No way, I mean even though it's still the current release, using IPB 3, makes IPB 2 look like an ancient forum if you know what I mean :lol: - IPB 3 all the way!

No I have to admit, all I miss are the mods and skins, it will only be a matter of months from final for them to come!

• Management

A lot of people get a rush of nostalgia and proclaim they miss the IPB 2 skin. If we actually forced it upon them for a month, they'll be pining for the new skin. It's human nature.

I love the new skin, but the first communities I ever visited and used were those IPB 2 ones, so even though I love the direction IPB is heading, I will still miss those ancient times.

A lot of people get a rush of nostalgia and proclaim they miss the IPB 2 skin. If we actually forced it upon them for a month, they'll be pining for the new skin. It's human nature.

Missing old IPB? No... I like the new style and new features... :)

But missing the "old quality" @ the ips team / software... Today its more like a business ("no time for that, we must release" and so things i must often read here), good old features, bugs and other things "flagged for future version" or/and not taken seriously enough... I dont know how the english community see these things, but a lot of international customers i talked with, agree with me... :(

Uh, we've had IPB3 in beta since the end of last year working as hard as possible to do exactly what you're claiming we no longer do - implement the suggestions, fixes and features our customers have requested. :unsure: I find your statement somewhat unfounded myself.

It's unrealistic to expect *every* single issue ever reported will just "get fixed" because it was reported. Most of the items currently flagged for future version either affect a very low number of users (rare occurrences), aren't really bugs (feature suggestions that we didn't want to outright dismiss) or simply require complicated and convoluted fixes to address particularly minor issues.

I assure you, quality is of the utmost concern. Otherwise, we would have released IPB3 "end of 2008" as was our original goal, instead of spending an additional 6 months or so fixing, tweaking and updating the software to address the things our customers have reported. :huh:

[quote name='WinFuture' date='11 June 2009 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1244763732' post='1809233']
Obviously, you should spend another 6 months to fix bugs and finish everything. I think, no foreign customer would complain about that.

Everyone says that about the "bugs" THEY care about. If we tried to "fix" every single thing reported, it would be 6 years, not 6 months. ;) And still, over that time period more things would be reported/requested.

You have to call it a go at some point.

Do I "miss" 2.3.x ??

No. I thought the Pro skin was horrid, and the Classic Blue was just acceptable. (These are my *opinions*. ;) )

Fortunately, the skinning community came to the rescue.

I *do* like the new skin on 3.0 very much.

And I can't wait to see what the skinning community comes up with this time around.

I liked the controls available in 2.3.6, but the improvements in 3.0 are quite notable. So far, I'm loving it!

[quote name='Matt' date='11 June 2009 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1244720254' post='1809011']

My small community and I have been following you since the early days of Ikonboard, Matt, and we've never stuck with the default skins, no offense. So I've had to redo our skin from scratch with every new major release of Ikon/IPB, but it's OK, as I'm very comfortable with the software you and your team have been working on. Good job!

[quote name='teraßyte' date='11 June 2009 - 07:01 AM' timestamp='1244721709' post='1809015']
Same here, I never liked the old IPB 2 skin (this applies to both default and pro skins).

Same here infact I thought the Pro skin looked old fashioned.
I do like the new skin and the PM feature.

Response: I have to agree with everyone. I'm already getting requests from members on my site who are wanting to know if the old classic style "blue" skin will be available for IPB 3. Most of the members of my community don't like the new default skin for IPB 3. Will the old classic style be made available for those who want it? Possibly maybe make it available for downloading through IPS Beyond.

I haven't been here for a long time (no current need for a forum), but I have to say, the new skin is fantastic. IPS are clearly moving with, and helping along, the times. Great stuff. I'm very impressed.

This new skin is a huge improvement on all of the older IPB skins (I think v1.3 is my favourite older skin).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived