Beta 5

Guest Mesmer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love just about all of the skin changes Rikki has made. I'm a little weary of the (seemingly) lack of bg color for posts, though.

There's still a background color, just not a separate background color behind the author pane now :) Personally I think it's much neater now, though I accept opinions may differ.

There's still a background color, just not a [i]separate[/i] background color behind the author pane now :) Personally I think it's much neater now, though I accept opinions may differ.

I agree, it certainly does look neat. So long as it's fairly easy to change in the CSS, I'm happy :).

There's still a background color, just not a [i]separate[/i] background color behind the author pane now

smile.gif

Personally I think it's much neater now, though I accept opinions may differ.

I'm positively surprised by their good work! I think better, you can not do that. laugh.pngthumbsup.pngwub.gif

I really do like the CSS changes overall. It does offer a much cleaner feel. My only complaints is I really, really miss dbSyntaxHighlighter (the current one is a joke) and the different colors for the H3 block and the post_controls block at the start and end of posts (the two colors collide with each other between posts).

Love that quick reply is expanding again :P

dpSyntaxHighlighter was nice, but I dropped it for a few reasons. First, the one we use now is the same one that powers Google Code, so it's absolutely proven. Second, it has built in methods for not blocking the page loading while it renders, which will speed up page rendering for everyone. Third, because it supports pre tags, even before it has run, code will look good, because it just looks like... code. Fourth, it supports auto-detecting of languages, so you can use the normal [ code ] tag, and whether you put in html, sql, php etc, it'll highlight it appropriately. Fifth, although dpSyntaxHighlighter has line numbers, it broke copy/paste, and so required a 'copy' link to put it on the clipboard; that link doesn't work with Flash 10 so will be useless in a few months time.

It does support line numbers but they have to be manually inserted in the output (in IPB context, inserted by IPB itself - not end users). We'll look into supporting it for 3.1 though :)

If anyone really wants dpSyntaxHighlighter back, it's easy enough to add back yourself. You just need to change the BBCode tag via the acp, then edit one template bit to load the dpSyntaxHighlighter JS instead of the current one.

It's starting to appear like a really ready IPB 3 official skin, Rikki. Well done. This may be a little off-topic, but is there an overview of what new small things you can click to perform neat things? Like the renaming a topic's description by clicking on it in the index of a forum, etc. Hope I'm clear. Great job, and I look forward to the finished product, of course. :)

-Charle

The board index now looks fantastic... new cat headers, latest news box, buttons - great job Rikki! Very polished looking.

There's still a background color, just not a [i]separate[/i] background color behind the author pane now :) Personally I think it's much neater now, though I accept opinions may differ.

I agree, it looks a lot better this way - neater :)

Rikki, does this mean that every other post no longer displays a different shade background color (striping)? Or can you still do it this way in the CSS without changing the template? I ask because on our forum we show a small graphic in the bottom right hand corner, alternating two different ones every other posts (Kim usually does this in her skins).

Other than that, everything looks great. My only nit-pick is the scriptalicious effect for the board index is, and always has been, a bit unnatural. What I mean is if you collapse a forum category the top part of the header seems to grow a bit instead of staying the same size (at least this happens in Safari).

Things are looking great guys! Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Other than that, everything looks great. My only nit-pick is the scriptalicious effect for the board index is, and always has been, a bit unnatural. What I mean is if you collapse a forum category the top part of the header seems to grow a bit instead of staying the same size (at least this happens in Safari).

That's actually in the css code:

.category_block h3.collapsed {

border-bottom:8px solid #243F5C;

}

You can change it yourself .

Archived