IPD, how much do you think it will be?

Guest dougbrowne

How much do you think IP, Dynamic will be?  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have you been smokin' happy tobaccy today? :D

Okay, here's my reasoning. I'm figuring IP.D is aimed towards people that can pay. Whether it's fansites or company sites (more likely), the people that use the product will be the people that need the advanced features of the product, and with all the work that's gone into it, I don't think it'll be cheap. IPS have to be able to compete with other solutions, and they can be thousands and thousands of dollars - and (although I don't have much experience of it) I assume some people in industry will go "Oh, it only costs $200 but all the other products are $x000, they must be better."

My reasoning for the guess I made about the price is that from what we've seen (forum posts, blog posts, etc.) IP.D's been in development for a long time and looks like a very full-featured application. It's not going to be made to run your 25 page site on - you might as well code one yourself or use one of the many open source solutions out there. I'll point out that at the moment I don't run any sites that would require IP.D - but if I ran something of a size that could make use of it, I'd be willing to pay for it (and I'm a student, so I understand that money doesn't grow on trees - but most people who want to use something of that scale will be making enough profit from their site to justify it). A business license for IP.B at the moment is $250 (equates to

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's look at the market here. It's really tight.

IPD is going to have to have a feature set that makes it worth paying for period. That's not easy where there are five million free CMS packages out there. Why would a person pay for IPD (or any other commercial CMS) when there is drupal, joomla and plone? It's got to do more than just integrate with IPB because subdreamer has that down.

Here is a commercial CMS that is probobly worth every penny. It starts at $10,000.

Joomla and *nuke are glorified blogware, but that's what their users want and need. They aren't journalists with an IT department downstairs. For a product to succeed in the commercial CMS market it needs to put emphasis on workflow and separation of presentation from content.

I don't see how invision can make a commercial CMS that will be of interest or really even much use to the majority of IPB customers. They must be planning on selling it it to a much broader market than the existing customer base.

Let's look at the market here. It's really tight.

IPD is going to have to have a feature set that makes it worth paying for period. That's not easy where there are five million free CMS packages out there. Why would a person pay for IPD (or any other commercial CMS) when there is drupal, joomla and plone? It's got to do more than just integrate with IPB because subdreamer has that down.

Here is a commercial CMS that is probobly worth every penny. It starts at $10,000.

Joomla and *nuke are glorified blogware, but that's what their users want and need. They aren't journalists with an IT department downstairs. For a product to succeed in the commercial CMS market it needs to put emphasis on workflow and separation of presentation from content.

I don't see how invision can make a commercial CMS that will be of interest or really even much use to the majority of IPB customers. They must be planning on selling it it to a much broader market than the existing customer base.

wow that is soo true i totally agree with you great feedback =)
I wont pay more then $200 for IPD if it starts with a price of more then $200 i might just go with subdreamer.. don't get me wrong i love IPS and all there products but i'm not paying over $200 dollers for something that I don't NEED

by need i mean it's not required for me to have but i would like to have it

. Highlight the black line to see the spoiler. i mean i would love to get IPD but if i need to pay over $200 for it then i mine as well pay for subdreamer it may not be as good as IPD but it will do the job of I need it to do.

IPD is going to have to have a feature set that makes it worth paying for period. That's not easy where there are five million free CMS packages out there. Why would a person pay for IPD (or any other commercial CMS) when there is drupal, joomla and plone?

Because businesses want an assurance that a) the developers won't just pack up one day and disappear, b) that someone is on the end of the phone if they have a question. Open source software is good for individuals but rarely satisfies all of the check boxes small-to-medium businesses have (with exceptions, of course).

IPD won't be perfect for everyone, and we've never claimed it would be :)

Because businesses want an assurance that a) the developers won't just pack up one day and disappear, b) that someone is on the end of the phone if they have a question. Open source software is good for individuals but rarely satisfies all of the check boxes small-to-medium businesses have (with exceptions, of course).

IPD won't be perfect for everyone, and we've never claimed it would be :)

Well Rikki you have a point, but.... how do we know that IPS won't just pack up one day and disappear? There is no proof :whistle:

Well Rikki you have a point, but.... how do we know that IPS won't just pack up one day and disappear? There is no proof :whistle:

They will not disappear, because we will paid for IPD as like IPB, BLOG, GALLERY, IDM etc... and they are always here :thumbsup:
With money, you don't just purchase the software, you purchase THE SUPPORT also...

There isn't, no, but when you've paid money to a company, you at least have some recourse to getting your investment back or at least getting continued support from someone.

They will not disappear, because we will paid for IPD as like IPB, BLOG, GALLERY, IDM etc... and they are always here :thumbsup:

With money, you don't just purchase the software, you purchase THE SUPPORT also...

There isn't, no, but when you've paid money to a company, you at least have some recourse to getting your investment back or at least getting continued support from someone.

well again you both have a point but of course IPS one day will most likly shut down as most companies do. it may take 30-50 years but eventually. Maybe im wrong but it's quite likely, im not saying thats a bad thing, im just saying eventually every company shuts down some time weather it takes 1 year or a 100.

I'm sure, it will be

MINIMUM 200 or 250$ and MAXIMUM 400$ I think

The great knowledgeable one knows. ;) I would not be surprised if they PM you the night before its released and you buy it before everyone else.

price = (a*c)^b

Thats brilliant... probably how prices are calculated anyways.

Basically IPD is not for everyone as Rikki said. Meaning they are aiming it at small business and business that have a budget thats a lot higher then our "standard" sites, chat forums, clan forums, support forums, fan sites, ect. I doubt that its going to be in the $150.00 although that would be really nice, probably really going to be $350.00 b/c Nexus comes with it. Anyways just need one big client and you can buy it yourself. :lol:

well if it does come with nexus and it has some good features i guess $300-$350 is reasonable but if it is that much i might wait 4 more money or (birthday + xmas money) birthday is in september. right now so far the lil pigggy bank that says IPD on it :lol: has $157 but i will be adding to that, im awaiting $30 from a friend so that will make $187 then ill get birthday money probably $60 maybe $80 (cuz mom isn't giving me money she's gonna get meh an iphone) so that will make about $257 then xmas money probably like $70 or so then thats $327 so if its $300 ill have enough and if its $350 ill soon have that money. I also sell hosting so that will add some money 4 meh so if anybody wants to support me and help me make money for IPD i sell BNC, IRCd, Web, And Eggdrop/Perl bot hosting echillplace.com/store for a temp store (will be switching to nexus when i get the money and it comes out. and our forums are at echillplace.com/forums

I think IPS should make the license of IPD same as the licence of IPB
becuase im sure it will be popular and they will not handle the money if they planing to new Licence
so i think they will use the licence options of IP.Board for IPD

Well it's just a component like blog/gallery, right? :lol: :mellow:

Wrong, its a seperate project, it can be used without IPB.

Just like the other projects like it.

Subdreamer has alot of issues, I have seen a HUGE site who uses vbulletin have TONS of issues with usernames with special characters. Which meant they were unable to login, due to a bug, that shouldn't have been there.

This was recent, for a commerical product to have issues with username with certain characters is well just strange.

I think IPS should make the license of IPD same as the licence of IPB

becuase im sure it will be popular and they will not handle the money if they planing to new Licence

so i think they will use the licence options of IP.Board for IPD

The IP.Board license structre may not be appropiate for IP.Dynamic.

Wrong, its a seperate project, it can be used without IPB.

Just like the other projects like it.

Subdreamer has alot of issues, I have seen a HUGE site who uses vbulletin have TONS of issues with usernames with special characters. Which meant they were unable to login, due to a bug, that shouldn't have been there.

This was recent, for a commerical product to have issues with username with certain characters is well just strange.

You missed the sarcasm ;)

well if it does come with nexus and it has some good features i guess $300-$350 is reasonable but if it is that much i might wait 4 more money or (birthday + xmas money) birthday is in september. right now so far the lil pigggy bank that says IPD on it :lol: has $157 but i will be adding to that, im awaiting $30 from a friend so that will make $187 then ill get birthday money probably $60 maybe $80 (cuz mom isn't giving me money she's gonna get meh an iphone) so that will make about $257 then xmas money probably like $70 or so then thats $327 so if its $300 ill have enough and if its $350 ill soon have that money. I also sell hosting so that will add some money 4 meh so if anybody wants to support me and help me make money for IPD i sell BNC, IRCd, Web, And Eggdrop/Perl bot hosting echillplace.com/store for a temp store (will be switching to nexus when i get the money and it comes out. and our forums are at echillplace.com/forums

I am 90% certain that StealthAgent is completely and utterly wrong. And since I can quote Charles as saying that Nexus will also be "not cheap" then we'd be looking at a potential minimum of $700-$1000 in a package with both. This of course depends on "not cheap" but I highly doubt Charles considers $150 (each) "not cheap". I know I certainly don't.

well, if IP. Dynamic is $700-$1000 (which i HIGHLY doubt) then IPS will have to change there target customers because at the moment the majority of IPS customers are Clan, and and Community forums most of which can not afford to pay $1000 dollars for a CMS there are a few commercial companies that use IPS but there are not too many. I really doubt that IP. Dynamic will be over $400 dollers because IPS is smart and they Know the best way to go (at least i think they do :lol: ).

You all are confusing yourselves with mis-information. :lol:

Nexus as you know it is our client area - where you submit tickets, purchase products, and so on. That is not Dynamic.

Dynamic as you know it, is a CMS - we use(|d) it to power our front end site.

However, there's a lot that none of you guys know just yet (purposefully) so before trying to guess the price of the product(s) as someone else suggested, why not at LEAST wait for a feature list of some sort. :thumbsup:

You all are confusing yourselves with mis-information. :lol:

Nexus as you know it is our client area - where you submit tickets, purchase products, and so on. That is not Dynamic.

Dynamic as you know it, is a CMS - we use(|d) it to power our front end site.

However, there's a lot that none of you guys know just yet (purposefully) so before trying to guess the price of the product(s) as someone else suggested, why not at LEAST wait for a feature list of some sort. :thumbsup:

I think all of us have wait a long time, and, all of us eager to get a feature list (w00t)

well, if IP. Dynamic is $700-$1000 (which i HIGHLY doubt) then IPS will have to change there target customers because at the moment the majority of IPS customers are Clan, and and Community forums most of which can not afford to pay $1000 dollars for a CMS there are a few commercial companies that use IPS but there are not too many.

Where do you figure that out from? You don't have any information on the number of corporate customers that use IPB on internal installations, or that maybe you haven't thought of. It's a business product - not a community product - it's not aimed towards people who already have forums, it's aimed towards companies that want to manage their websites.

@stobbo: They're completely seperate products, although they can integrate using IP.Converge.

Where do you figure that out from? You don't have any information on the number of corporate customers that use IPB on internal installations, or that maybe you haven't thought of. It's a

business

product - not a community product - it's not aimed towards people who already have forums, it's aimed towards companies that want to manage their websites.

@stobbo: They're completely seperate products, although they can integrate using IP.Converge.

I figure that from personal experience and from what i've seen so far. Maybe IPB was suppose to be a business product but in reality it's not... Like i said the majority of people who use IPB and other IPS products are gaming communities and other communities. If IP. DYnamic and Nexus are separate theni hope nexus isnt too much because I would like to have nexus too along with Dynamic because I sell hosting so it would the perfect package for me (Dynamic, Board, Nexus)

Archived