IPB v3

Guest Dsurla

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skinning IPB was pretty easy back in 1.3.1 and 2.0, because all the images could be changed using the image macros. Now, I'm looking through IPB 2.2's skins, and about 50% of the images are hardcoded in the skin html, or, as with the my assisstant, hardcoded within the source file itself. (sources/action_public/xmlout.php)

Skinning IPB was pretty easy back in 1.3.1 and 2.0, because all the images could be changed using the image macros. Now, I'm looking through IPB 2.2's skins, and about 50% of the images are hardcoded in the skin html, or, as with the my assisstant, hardcoded within the source file itself. (sources/action_public/xmlout.php)

Surely you could just overwrite the images that are already there? I can understand how it would be a problem if you wanted to, for example, use text links instead of images, but surely a straightfoward replacement is just as easy? I've just finished 4 skins for a client and had no problem changing images :)

Surely all presents are free :blink:

I meant it fails all logic for three reasons:

1) Because they haven't even begun development on it I don't think (if they have, it's been very minimal work, I believe; I doubt they've even begun though).
2) Christmas Day is in about 1-2 days for most of us (depending on where in the world you are). The likelyhood of IPS creating something within a day, implementing lots of new features in there (as it's going to be a feature-based release), having it fully tested for security and bugs, having it sent through Beta and RC versions, etc. is impossible.
3) If they somehow miraculously attempted and accomplished #2 (and if they did, I'd guarantee you it'd be very bad), I don't believe they'd release it for free.

I meant it fails all logic for three reasons:

1) Because they haven't even begun development on it I don't think (if they have, it's been very minimal work, I believe; I doubt they've even begun though).

2) Christmas Day is in about 1-2 days for most of us (depending on where in the world you are). The likelyhood of IPS creating something within a day, implementing lots of new features in there (as it's going to be a feature-based release), having it fully tested for security and bugs, having it sent through Beta and RC versions, etc. is impossible.

3) If they somehow miraculously attempted and accomplished #2 (and if they did, I'd guarantee you it'd be very bad), I don't believe they'd release it for free.

I was joking :D
He said a 'free present' - surely all presents are free?

Well what would be spectacular, it's if it will be released on Christmas 2007! For free ONLY that day... LOL... And if you can't install or have problems, they won't be responsible, as it's a free version... But I know it won't happen! ;)
Cheers,
SHaDoW

Well what would be spectacular, it's if it will be released on Christmas 2007! For free ONLY that day... LOL... And if you can't install or have problems, they won't be responsible, as it's a free version... But I know it won't happen! ;)

Cheers,

SHaDoW

Great business logic. Why would they give a product they can make money from out for free? I can understand them giving a 25% discount or something, but not for free.

One expects there to be major changes when theres a major change in version number (2.2 --> 3.0), so yeah I expect there to be some interface changes. It is definitely time for a new skin as IPS has had the same default skin for too long. We just got 2.2 so I expect it will be at least a 1 1/2 years til we see a release candidate for 3.0 which is fine. I'd rather they spend more time working on 3.0 and really blow our minds with it :)

Surely you could just overwrite the images that are already there? I can understand how it would be a problem if you wanted to, for example, use text links instead of images, but surely a straightfoward replacement is just as easy? I've just finished 4 skins for a client and had no problem changing images :)

Of course I could do that, for I've already done it. But, what if I'm using a different file extension, such as png instead of gif everywhere?

Archived