IPB v3

Guest Dsurla

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, not quite 20 versions: 15, with a 16th to come.
2.0.0-2.0.5 (six versions)
2.1.0-2.1.7 (eight versions)
2.2.0 (one version to date, 2.1.1 due Any Day Now)

plus betas ;) - we're actually in the 9th version of 2.2

This is the 2.x skin, starting with 3.x there will be a brand new skin...last time I talked to Brandon about it he said something possibly with a green tint?

I hope not!
I hope it matches converge's interface, which I hope will match dynamic and nexus' default interface

I was under the impression that 2.2 would have a new color base, in fact some of us (can't recall who else) thought after the new staff icons (dark blue, sleek) that was how 2.1 was going to look. Would have been cool even just to see that minor change of a darker blue, and maybe something subtle with the logo4.gif.

Oh well, here's to 3.0!

Very interesting question!

The layout has been basically the same for years, in fact most if not all forums use the same basic layout so if IPB came out with something very different it would be a revolution........ The trouble is that this basic layout is very easy to understand and use.

I like the IPS Beyond layout/skin, with its tabs so I guess that something could be done along similar lines - maybe with the capability to create a catagory and then add 'tabs' to the category and then forums under these 'tabs'. Maybe these 'tabs' could be 'sub categories'?!?!

Or, when 'located' in a forum perhaps having the topic titles/details in a 'window' on the left of the screen and then clicking on a topic displays the 'details' it in a window on the right - dare I say it, something a little like Hotmail/Windows Live Mail.

I very much like the new ACP layout, again with the tabs and these make navigation a lot easier.

No doubt whatever IPS do will be good and everyone else will follow their lead within a very short space of time.

The only thing I will suggest is that whatever is done there should be the facility for members to have access to the 'classic' layout.

One other suggestion is that you, IPS, DO NOT say what you are doing and/or when it will be done so that we don't get the million or so topics with 'when will it be released' etc etc - Perhaps have anything new 'tested' by a select group of members who will not divulge any details of what is being done.

Whatever is done I look forward to it as I am sure that it will be excellent.

Please make the CSS nice and user friendly, the current CSS is mess! :)

Preferably, with the CSS we should be able to make a csszengarden of forums, but i doubt that'll be practicable ;)

As long as i can change the colour to #990000 for the main bits, like i do now, i'll be happy :wub:

I suspect we wont see a IP.B v3 release for 18-24 months.

We know it will have a new skin... that much as been stated and talked about for a very long time now... the question is... how much will change so that we might actually say it's a new interface?

In close to two years who knows how far the advances in browser technology will go so that web applications like IP.B dont have to gimp themselves on alot of cool features so they can "work for everybody"....

• Management

One other suggestion is that you, IPS,

DO NOT

say what you are doing and/or when it will be done so that we don't get the million or so topics with 'when will it be released' etc etc - Perhaps have anything new 'tested' by a select group of members who will not divulge

any

details of what is being done.

Then we get grief for having private testers. No, really. There is a topic here on this forum where people are all upset that we have private testers who get releases before general users.

Just can't win. I shall cry now: :'(

I have ideas :shifty: Watch this space.

I agree with tidying up the CSS at the very least though, to try and condense it to make it easier to change. As a skinner too I understand there's a lot to go through, even for a simple colour-changed skin. To that end I also hope to work on some tools to help skinners.

Then we get grief for having private testers. No, really. There is a topic here on this forum where people are all upset that we have private testers who get releases before general users.

Just can't win. I shall cry now: :'(

I disagree with private testers, that's just unfair for numerous of reasons (of which I will discuss if anyone wishes to know why).
InvisionFree have done the same, and I'm certainly disappointed about it.
Maybe IPS should keep 3.x on the shush up until you guys are really really ready to release it for Beta testing, don't make no topics on the development/etc, don't be silly like Brandon (and team) and make a topic boasting about your upcoming new software, it will just raise hopes and create loads upon loads of topics asking for features/deadlines/etc {look on IFSupport for real life examples :whistle: }.

I disagree with private testers, that's just unfair for numerous of reasons (of which I will discuss if anyone wishes to know why).

InvisionFree have done the same, and I'm certainly disappointed about it.

Maybe IPS should keep 3.x on the shush up until you guys are really really ready to release it for Beta testing, don't make no topics on the development/etc, don't be silly like Brandon (and team) and make a topic boasting about your upcoming new software, it will just raise hopes and create loads upon loads of topics asking for features/deadlines/etc {look on IFSupport for real life examples :whistle: }.

You certainly live up to your name.

Archived