any problems with RC1 upgrade

Guest Canadian Hotdogman

lmao I almost just submitted a bug report saying that my site shows almost 5,000 pages of members when nobody has joined it yet. Then I noticed I was not on my site, I was on this site.

Anyway so far I see no problems on my site I upgraded from 2.1.7 to RC1. Like I said, I am the only member though, so I risked nothing by doing it on that site. There is some javascript error in the ACP after editing a category or forum though, but it apparently does not cause a problem, it just says an error at the bottom in IE6.

To be completely honest, I tested an upgrade from 2.1.7 to 2.2 PB 2, and since all went well and perfect on that, I upgraded my live board to PB2. I have since upgraded it to RC1, and everything is going smooth. The only problem is a few missing images that I have that I still haven't copied over from the style_images/1 folder(s).

faeces how do i remove skins if i cant access admin cp

There is some tool here somewhere on this site (in a topic) that you can use, if I am not mistaken.

When I upgraded a live board to 2.1 RC2 I ran into a weird problem where I couldnt get into the ACP either and someone helped me get in it... I had to add &skinid=2 (or some other number for whatever skin was working properly) at the end of every url, to view it. THEN I had to put my admin passsword into the browser's url at the end of it also because I couldnt see any of the pages otherwise. I had to keep adding that stupid &skinid= statement at the end of everything until I finally got into the templates to revert changes. I guess with yours you would have to just change the default skin in the ACP once you were in.

BUT ANYWAY, like I said.... I think there is some topic on this site with a file you can download (which matt uploaded) and run it to let you back into everything. Since I am not TOTALLY sure what cases that helps on, I am not sure though and someone else will have to tell you where it is because I don't know.

On my second server (ipb) ugrade went smooth too...

Again some javascript errors and some missing images but those are minor problem...
Make sure that before you upgrade, if you have a customized skin, switch your skinset to default and start working from there... After upgrade you can work on your customized skin...

On this one i was using a customized skin. First before upgrade i switched to default skin and then I compared my customized skin with default skin and find the problem areas and then .............updated...

It is working like a charm...

Good luck...

Well on mine it only lets you use that to compare a file, not skins already installed, like 2.1 did.

I haven't tried this tool yet but was confused last night when I looked at it. I thought it would let you compare two different skin sets, but it wants you to give it a file instead. Can someone please explain how this works? I can't try it with my 2.1 skin yet since 2.2 has problems importing it (which Invision is investigating).

Thanks,

..Al

That i did not know... That's really good if the script does that automatically...

Yes, when the 2.2 skin is installed, it's set as default.

I haven't tried this tool yet but was confused last night when I looked at it. I thought it would let you compare two different skin sets, but it wants you to give it a file instead. Can someone please explain how this works? I can't try it with my 2.1 skin yet since 2.2 has problems importing it (which Invision is investigating).

Thanks,

..Al

There are two ways to do this. Always, the skin is compared to the current "Master Skin Set" (which IPB maintains, but you are not able to edit). The first method is to upload a file, and IPB will compare the differences against the master html template set.

The second method, the easier one probably, is from the Skin Manager overview page where your skins are listed, hit the drop down next to your skin, and hit generate differences report. :thumbsup: This will show you all the differences in the skin you selected, and give you the ability to manually edit those templates to change them if desired.

I've seen several posters mention having "javascript problems" ... but I haven't seen anything on what the problem was or how it was resolved.

My 2.1.7 - 2.2.0PB2 upgrade went pretty well - with a large (test) database (16,000+ users / 600,000+ posts). I figured what-the-heck - I'll throw it what I have. No problems.

However, I cannot seem to get the text editor functions to work in the new version. None of the features work and the page indicates there were errors when loading:

Line: 2
Char: 1518
Error: 'ipsclass' is undefined
Code: 0
URL: my_test_site_URL

I've cleared the cache in my browser - as suggested in Matt's pinned thread about javascript issues. Further, the features work fine here.

Any suggestions to solve this problem would be most appreciated.

Thanks

-john

Are you using the new IPB 2.2 default skin? Sounds like your skin is not up to date.

Thank you - that was the problem. I re-installed as a 'clean' installation and find that everything works.

It looks like I'm going to have to do some more reading on how to migrate my skins to the new environment. Let's hope they go cleanly.

There are two ways to do this. Always, the skin is compared to the current "Master Skin Set" (which IPB maintains, but you are not able to edit). The first method is to upload a file, and IPB will compare the differences against the master html template set.

The second method, the easier one probably, is from the Skin Manager overview page where your skins are listed, hit the drop down next to your skin, and hit generate differences report. :thumbsup: This will show you all the differences in the skin you selected, and give you the ability to manually edit those templates to change them if desired.

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it. I'll definitely check this out once I'm able to import my 2.1 skin. I'm sure it will make my job of migrating the skin to 2.2 much easier!

..Al

For some reason my upgrade didnt make any new skin templates, even for the newly created IPB 2.2.0 skin. It just kept the 1.7 template bits, but with the 2.2 HTML. Even when I imported my newly created 2.2 skin it only imported the 1.7 bits causing the forum to not work at all. I had to import ibf_skin_templates from my test 2.2 board and rebuild from there to get it to work...

Archived