When ?!

Guest Cool Surfer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The image resize bug has to do with this:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...mp;bug_cat_id=3

If you notice there is a button that appears under the image to view the bigger version. It's supposed to appear on top of the image. That may be an issue with the java script files here (only).... I dunno. Just know it isnt quite working here yet.

The editor stuff... It looks like "Insert Special Item" and "Quick Access" are added back with the buttons. So it looks like these items may be avaiable for custom stuff... I dunno. They are blank, so that leads me to believe he isnt quite finished with that yet.

Would you like a rushed release loaded with bugs? Odds are no.

Roadmaps generally suck because they build up false hopes on release dates, expected additions/modifications, etc. then people get upset when it doesnt come out when they hoped or doesn't have some of the features and such people may have been hoping for.

As well, if you want a rushed release, with numerous bugs, then you run alot of risks and likely would blame IPS for not releasing it when it had fewer bugs. They could be on schedule then run into a bug or numerous bugs that are a pain to fix and prolong the release date.

Patience is virtue.

Roadmaps generally suck because they build up false hopes on release dates, expected additions/modifications, etc. then people get upset when it doesnt come out when they hoped or doesn't have some of the features and such people may have been hoping for.

As well, if you want a rushed release, with numerous bugs, then you run alot of risks and likely would blame IPS for not releasing it when it had fewer bugs. They could be on schedule then run into a bug or numerous bugs that are a pain to fix and prolong the release date.

Patience is virtue.

Exactly.

Patience is virtue.

I would have to a gree I mean Im not rushing them or anything lol I think w e should wait for the final or atleast RC 2 or 3 the more stable the better

Exactly.

Let's be honest, they've been testing for 6 months before they even released BETA. Is there many bugs around now? There certainly shouldn't be.

The only problems I've noticed since we first went into beta stage has been to do with this text editor, I didn't even think it needed a complete overhaul.

As for the release date, I have to say I'm not that bothered anymore. I probably won't upgrade immediately as I'm a bit dissapointed with it overall, the few additions are nice enough, but after checking here every day for news of updates and features, each day passed and no news was posted. I said jokingly over the past couple of months that I wondered if 2.2 will be out this year, if this is the amount of time it takes to go from 2.1.7 to 2.2, especially with the lack of new features that's come with it (and note that few that have been requested from users other than bits of AJAX here and there have been included), 3.0 will be out at the earliest of 2009. Well that's my prediction anyway :whistle:

Oh and what happened to that time line?

... 3.0 will be out at the earliest of 2009. Well that's my prediction anyway :whistle:

I personally don't think so... I mean first 2.1.x was out about 1 year ago? well the next 3.0.0 could be about in 2008 in about same time as now ;)
Kind Regards,
sT7

Ps: The RC1 should be pretty stable... I will upgrade my Live Board... Because i really don't care if it won't work because it's a brand new forum and I won't lose much except some stuff which I will back-up ;)

You do have to understand that while there was some much needed changes to the user side (editor, profile, uploads system, etc...) the AdminCP was upgraded quite a bit. There are some very good enhancements in there. Everything else through the whole thing was all about security, and having the whole thing security auited line-by-line is a long grusim process. The AdminCP looks very much done now, and I bet they will focus more on the user side for 3.0, and all over the place. 2.2 is about security and fixing existing features that did not work very well in 2.0 or 2.1. The profile system was more of a bonus if anything. The editor... That needed to be upgraded badly. I liked the improvement of the editor from 2.0 -> 2.1... But now that I look at the 2.1 editor.... It looks horrid in comparison to the 2.2 one... The 2.2 one just looks great.

I plan on installing it a few days after Final is released. Mainly so I can watch all your reactions, and to see if you have any problems before I install it on my site. I just want to be 100% sure before I decide to do anything. I know, that probably sounds paranoid, but I just dont want to rush it, only to have problems after installation.

Well what bugs me is apparently almost no modifications from 2.1 will work right off on 2.2 and in a post a month or so ago, bfarber seemed to be saying that most modifications WOULD work. I guess I will just have to wait and see which ones do or don't.... That is the problem when upgrading if you have a lot of modifications on your site. I can do without many of mine, but a few I love.

Well what bugs me is apparently almost no modifications from 2.1 will work right off on 2.2 and in a post a month or so ago, bfarber seemed to be saying that most modifications WOULD work. I guess I will just have to wait and see which ones do or don't.... That is the problem when upgrading if you have a lot of modifications on your site. I can do without many of mine, but a few I love.

All modifications / components that use html logic in customized templates will not work. When Brandon says they will work, he's talking about the source files (.php). All old templates, with html logic, will have to be updated.

For example:

<if="variable">

</if>
<else>

</else>

to:

<if="$variable">

<else />

</if>

Also all instances of "ipb." must be changed to "$this->ipsclass->".

Some html logic can be highly simplified because nesting is also supported :thumbsup:

I know you might complain about this, but it's a HUGE improvement. The old html logic was very screwy.

It may be a huge improvement, but nothing is going to work because most everything that matters has template changes. I noticed the html logic being different in it a few days ago when I was looking in RenderRow. I think some tool at install converts it all, so maybe that would allow mods already installed to function again? I don't know. I am not sure what that tool does exactly.

This "will my old mods work on the new version?" question was being asked when we converted from 2.0 to 2.1, and we all managed to survive that somehow. Yes, some mods will need to be changed, but that's really quite easy for most mod authors to do; it's a heck of a lot easier to convert an old mod to a new version than it is to make an entirely new mod.

This "will my old mods work on the new version?" question was being asked when we converted from 2.0 to 2.1, and we all managed to survive that somehow. Yes, some mods will need to be changed, but that's really quite easy for most mod authors to do; it's a heck of a lot easier to convert an old mod to a new version than it is to make an entirely new mod.

His right, Converting= much easier then creating!

Some 2.0 mods STILL arent upgraded though. i think this time I am going to look at dev notes and do the important ones myself if I can.

And some 1.2/1.3 mods were never converted to 2.0, and some 1.1 mods were never converted to 1.2/1.3, etc. But for each one of those new versions, most of the popular mods did get converted, and many brand new mods were released.

If you can convert the mods you find important youself, more power to you. But you'll more than likely keep having to convert them for each new version after 2.2. Maybe you should reconsider what mods you really need.

Really I have no gripe with anyone anyway. It would be nice if they didn't have to be altered. It would be nice if 90% of modders wouldn;t abandon their mods, like has happened with 2 of my very main mods. I am just saying it kind of sucks, not blaming anyone. I definitely could get rid of quite a few mods and be fine. I probably have more of yours and Dean's than anything else though, so I am sure I will be fine there. Brandon had mentioned that components would all work fine on this I THOUGHT though, so it will be depressing now that even those won;t work most likely. I thought all along I was safe on those.

I mean.... the problem as I see it is 1. If I consider points system to be important to my specific site (one I am just now opening) and a particular spoiler hack I like a lot.... I kind of need those to work. I would have to decide whether to upgrade without them or... if they werent necessities at this time I guess.

Speaking of which, I have some good ideas for a great spoiler hack, I think... I am hoping I can pay someone to make it. :)

Boy there is some impatient fellows here over an upgrade and reading some of them its as if you cant live without it, there are still a few bugs in the new board and the Gallery and nobody wants a half finished rushed to RC release it benefits nobody, I am quite happy with 2.1.7 its very stable and I wont be upgrading my board for at least 6 months, making sure everything is ok before I do. Rush in haste and you shall repent at leisure. Give them time and you get a nice product, rush them mistakes occur and they will take even longer. It will come out when its ready, and not one single day earlier, the longer the better. Patience is a virtue.

I'm sorry to mention my humble opinion, but those who are disappointed with 2.2 don't seem to understand the great picture (or is it me who does?).

Actually it's the same with Firefox 2: The Updates are mostly (standard) User improvements, which makes developers or in our case administrators sad. But parallely there's the development of 3.0 (Firefox and IPB) which will include long needed and yet delayed architectural improvements.

In case of Forefox 2 there's an additional marketing pressure but I don't think this applies to IPB, does it?

And some 1.2/1.3 mods were never converted to 2.0, and some 1.1 mods were never converted to 1.2/1.3, etc. But for each one of those new versions, most of the popular mods did get converted, and many brand new mods were released.

If you can convert the mods you find important youself, more power to you. But you'll more than likely keep having to convert them for each new version after 2.2. Maybe you should reconsider what mods you really

need

I would have to agree alot of the old mods got taken over by soem current mod creators Download System from 2.0 was Dean's Take over I think FuSaYa Took over OutLaw's group legend and members online today. Alot of the old mod writers dont have time to code alot of mods these days and getting into contact with them is hard enough as it is to get permission to conver them. If you want to take the time to convert a mod for IPB to a new version thats your problem but Wait till IPB can get a Hooks system in so no one will have to upgrade their mods after every security update.

It was actually Group Name Indicator and Auto PM New Members that I took over from Outlaw, I took over Members Online Today from Manick. Really, taking over old mods and converting them to the new IPB version is quite easy, I'm sure there are dozens out there I could do that with. Problem is, actually getting in touch with the original modder to get permission, and then finding time to actually give support; I feel that giving support and answering all questions that comes to you is a huge part of being a good modder. So, to me anyway, it's not such a great idea to just start taking over a bunch of mods if you don't have the time to fully support them.

Archived