New member email confirmation not sent/received? [DMARC?]

Go to solution Solved by opentype,

**Self Hosted Community**

Hi all,

Recently, I've been getting several emails from new members saying they did not receive their access.

As always, I reply asking if they've searched into all their folders (spams...).

And each time, they say they've looked and there's nothing nowhere.

So I did the test myself with a gmail email address and... no automatic access email nowhere.

PS: I did not seem to have this kind of problem before the Google and Yahoo DMARC mess but maybe it is a completely different reason.

Bored Work Day GIF by juliaveldmanc

Thanks @opentype!

It seems someone needs to authenticate...

Is it something I have to do?

I did it for my own email address (ConvertKit and Gsuite).

Could contain: Mountain, Nature, Outdoors, Mountain Range, Peak, Ice, Animal, Fish, Sea Life, Shark

Forgot to say several members are still not receiving notifications (when someone replies for example) but not all of them.

1 minute ago, Marc Stridgen said:

That is something you will need to take up with your mail provider, to ensure you have everything set up as you should have. 

Hi @Marc Stridgen!

Do you where I can find the spf and DKIM info to verify the Invision emails? 

I may have missed an email from Invision about that?

For the GMAIL/YAHOO thingy, I had to verify:

• ConvertKit (which sends emails on my behalf with my domain)
  • Google (which sends emails on my behalf with my domain via Gsuite)

For that, ConvertKit and Google both provided me with spf, dkim and dmarc to add to my domain DNS.

Am I wrong thinking Invision sends emails on my behalf with a no-reply@vocalize.fr email address and that it should also be verified?

Sorry if I'm completely mistaken.

• Solution
Posted (edited)

The initiation method isn’t the most important part. The optimization methods apply to all of them. 

Looking at the screenshots, your system mails go out directly from your server. So you need to make sure your DNS settings are optimized for that as well, not just for the external services like ConvertKit you use. In fact, it could be that adding DNS settings for those external service actually deligitimized sending mails from your own server. You need to make sure that all sending options are included in your DNS settings. 

You can check with your host. They probably have settings and information directly relating to SPF/DKIM/DMARC …
I always optimize this stuff using the Mail Tester website. By the way: You can do 3 tests for free per day. You should end up with at least of score of 9. 

Edited by opentype

3 minutes ago, opentype said:

The initiation method isn’t the most important part. The optimization methods apply to all of them. 

Looking at the screenshots, your system mails go out directly from your server. So you need to make sure your DNS settings are optimized for that as well, not just for the external services like ConvertKit you use. In fact, it could be that adding DNS settings for those external service actually deligitimized sending mails from your own server. You need to make sure that all sending options are included in your DNS settings. 

You can check with your host. They probably have settings and information directly relating to SPF/DKIM/DMARC …
I always optimize this stuff using the Mail Tester website. By the way: You can do 3 tests for free per day. You should end up with at least of score of 9. 

Thank you for your reply and about the Mail Tester website!

I'll ask my host right away and test once the DNS settings are correct. 🙂