Missing canonical tag for static pages

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention! I can confirm this should be further reviewed and I have logged an internal bug report for our development team to investigate and address as necessary, in a future maintenance release.

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't 100% related to the first message, but also not enough to warrant a new topic, imo.

The homepage canonical is set to the url without the forward slash at the end, which looks to be the case for all Invision Community homepages. I don't believe it influences indexability, but thought it was worth sharing.

Could contain: Text

9 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I suspect thats more a reflection of the tool using to do that check, to be honest

Thanks for the reply, @Marc Stridgen. You can see it reflected in the source code as well. Best practice is to have the canonical be self-referencing, which would include the forward slash, here.

You can access the source code by pasting this into the address bar:
view-source:https://invisioncommunity.com/

Example of a self-referencing canonical:

The extension I'm using is mostly for spot-checking on the fly, but it's been an excellent resource for quickly checking on-page elements.

Edited by FanClub Mike

On 4/3/2024 at 11:25 AM, FanClub Mike said:

This isn't 100% related to the first message, but also not enough to warrant a new topic, imo.

The homepage canonical is set to the url without the forward slash at the end, which looks to be the case for all Invision Community homepages. I don't believe it influences indexability, but thought it was worth sharing.

A canonical basically just says "this is the main page, index this." in cases where there may be query string, URL formats, etc... Therefore, what you see there really is correct. Invision Community actually redirects / to no slash so it would not be possible to reference the /.