Resource Limits Are Exceeded 503

Good day folks, hoping to get a little guidance here.

I have been dealing with my server generating a 503 error for my community and when I check my server I have a message that my resource limits were exceeded in the last 24 hours.

This started happening suddenly about 3 weeks ago and I've been going back n forth with my hosting customer service and I have followed some suggestions they put forth to no avail. Here is the last thing they messaged me:

cPanel is currently showing the following warnings :

You have reached the limits within the past 24 hours
CPU resources limit was reached for your site
You have reached the entry processes (the number of simultaneously running php and cgi scripts, as well as cron jobs and shell sessions) limit 3844 times
You have reached the processes number limit 23174 times

I have reset the resources on the account. This may help temporarily, until your applications cause resources to go up again. Your site scripting needs more resources than your hosting plan provides, which can cause your sites to load slower than normal and/or cause intermittent errors. You and your web developer will need to review the resource usage of your account and take steps to reduce the load your scripting is creating or upgrade to a plan with more resources.

I find it hard to believe that all the sudden my community software needs more resources, but? Any direction is greatly appreciated if you are able to.

Thanks folks!

I am not sure if this helps, but here are my server stats:

Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot

2 hours ago, teraßyte said:

You're nowhere near your limits in that screenshot. Is it possible that your site/server was hit by a DDOS attack? I'd check that with your hosting.

They stated earlier that I had a lot of traffic from robots but not a DDOS attack, I did ask about that. So I followed their instructions and opened an account with Cloudfare.  I followed the instructions below to disable auto creation of the robots.txt file and it made no difference.

To avoid unwanted bot access, we recommend using Cloudflare and making use of the robots.txt file to manage the bot crawling on your website.
To learn more about on how to active cloudflare and disable the automatic creation of the robots.txt file, please check these article:

https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/add-on-services/cloudflare/how-to-activate-cloudflare
https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/developer-corner/disabling-automatic-creation-of-the-robots-txt-file/

I am at a loss as to what to do, this is all getting over my head, and with every question I have they direct me to a help article on A2hosting help center and I try their suggestions but there is no difference, I still keep hitting my limits.

25 minutes ago, rnorth6920 said:

Having a host with hard limits on things such as number of files or processes running is usually the one's you should avoid.  Is this a shared hosting server or VPS? I'd look into a different host if I were you. 

I'm moving in that direction. My current host is A2 Hosting, things were humming along just fine for the 7 years I've been with them, then all the sudden a few weeks ago it starts falling apart. It's a managed VPS.

I am talking with sales now at A2, and asking them if they can get to the bottom of all of this or move me to another server that's not plagued. A few more things are happening since I posted this topic, now I get 500 errors when trying to access my whm or cpanel, just weird things.

Thanks!

Edited by JohnCourt

I’m using IPS now. Before that, I managed my own AWS instances and before that, I had a VPS from KnownHost. 

I moved my site to IPS as I was tired of worrying about managing servers, etc. It was also part of ensuring the site survival. Most of the people in my site’s community know nothing about hosting accounts or servers or what it takes to keep a site online. By having IPS take care of software and hosting, if something happens to me, one of the other admins can take over the bill and just keep running the site as it is today without needing to learn a bunch of new stuff. 

9 hours ago, JohnCourt said:

May I ask what you guys have for hosting? Thank you 🙂

As far as I know, since IPS offers hosting (cloud), we're not allowed to mention any other hosting here. 😅

Just for the record, I'm self-hosted. I switched hosting ~1 year ago and I haven't had any issues so far.

Instead, let me say that you should avoid HostGator like the pest. They have a hidden rule for their servers that cronjobs can only run every 15 minutes, you can't set them to run each minute (which is what Invision Community needs). If you do set one lower than 15 minutes, they'll simply edit the value silently without telling you anything.

9 hours ago, JohnCourt said:

May I ask what you guys have for hosting? Thank you 🙂

I currently use evolution-host, which uses OVH cloud.  I actually got the service for free and have not had any issues except with my IP being on a level 2 and level 3 blacklist because of bad neighbors.  This affects email deliverability a considerable amount.  A newer host that I've began using is datawagon.  Their prices are very low and IP's are not on any blacklists, and they include snapshot backups.  It seems to be a smaller operation.

I'm sure IPS Cloud would be the ideal choice, although I've never used their hosting service. 

At the end of the day, its a tough choice to make, but whatever you do, backup your data at least daily and you should be better prepared for the unexpected. 

* and if we're not allowed to mention hosting providers, sorry!