Status of Delete Member

I've read some previous posts about offering the option of member selected delete.  From what I gathered, this is not a good option because of the loss of member-posted content.  I think one of the Invision Community team said that the current system is to shift them to guest?  Or does the account actions drop down selection, delete, actually delete the member altogether?

My idea is to offer a member option to delete their profile which would simply move them to a new group but not a guest.  Instead, I would call it Deactivated.  All the content would remain but in the topic member summary below their icon, which would also change to a generic icon, the status badge or group name would read Deactivated. 

Has anyone tried something like that?

What about Invision Community? What is the current status of deleting members?

A delete is a delete. If you delete a member, that member is then gone from your system entirely. The question is over what to do with their existing content (which is where you got guest from). All their posts would then become guest posts (attributed to nobody). You can choose to keep the name on the post during this process.

In terms of anything else, its simply moving them to a new group rather than deleting. You would be offering your members the option to deactivate their profile, rather than delete it, in the scenario you mention