Having a lot of Captcha Errors

usmf

I've got two communities running IPS, and in the last week, we're having some serious Captcha issues on both. I've selected the main site in the purchase drop-down above.

On that site, we were hacked (in a small way, thankfully) about a month ago. We initiated a password reset for all members, and now the members are getting a "You did not pass the security check. Please try again." error when having to use Captcha for the Password reset and/or the Contact Us form.

Captcha settings in the AdminCP are set to click "I'm not a Robot", however one member was asked to do the Captcha of selecting images from a grid over 20 times and still got the same error.

-----

On my second community, a member was able to take a screengrab of the error he received yesterday. Captcha on that site is set to "Invisible".

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

I did remove Captcha one one of the sites (the first) two days ago. That fixed all the member issues, but I had to turn it back on yesterday after dealing with too many spam accounts trying to join. Since turning it back on, we are not receiving any new registrations -- when normally there should be 10-15 a day. I'm assuming this issue is affecting those trying to join. Can you check something here, please? Thanks.

Captcha doesnt actually appear to be switched on for that community. I would however suggest ensuring you have invisible recaptcha switched on for your key on the recaptcha site, as what you are seeing here is usually a result of it not being.

The other site, it appears to be showing up fine.

Its worth noting, you may actually be better with hCaptcha, which is more effective

51 minutes ago, usmf said:

Thanks. But when I'm looking at the site settings, Captcha is definitely on. Is there another place where it is switched off?

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

This screenshot shows reCAPTCHA V2, which is different from your screenshot above which is showing Invisible reCAPTCHA. Could you please clarify which one you're setting up?

Both sites are having Captcha issues, as described in the first post.

The site which I selected in the drop-down of this post is set on reCAPTCHA V2 like this:

My second site is set on Invisible reCAPTCHA (not sure why they're different) like this:

Which of these do you think is not switched on? Both sites are experiencing CAPTCHA issues as described in the original post above.

Both CAPTCHAs appear to be loading with a working key. However, the CAPTCHA result is getting rejected. I would advise reviewing to see in ACP -> Support if the time of your server is off. Even if off a little, this would cause Google to reject the CAPTCHA.

If that does not work, I would advise disabling your third party applications/plugins and switching to an unmodified theme to see if that helps. Something is disrupting the signal going out and coming back so we would need to test it all.