Social sharing vs. Our picks

I want my members to 'share' to social media, but I do not want them to assign anything to 'Our picks'. Obviously, I want admins to be able to select our picks, so I don't want to shut the system off completely.

Is there a way?

All I have found is the Social Media Promotion toggle which: "Allows members to use the promote system to post to your community's Twitter pages if set up, and also to add items to the 'Our Picks' list."

Thx.

10 minutes ago, Giray said:

I want my members to 'share' to social media

Could contain: File, Person, Text, Face, Head, Page, Webpage

If you don't have it available then enable Guest viewing of the content.

10 minutes ago, Giray said:

but I do not want them to assign anything to 'Our picks'.

Don't give them them permission to do so.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

Our Picks permission:

lGnauOR.png

I saw that but did not understand. Does that mean that if I put a member in here, no one else can promote to our picks? In other words, 'everyone' can share to social, but only these 'members' can promote. Correct?

1 minute ago, Giray said:

Sharing on social media and having access to our picks is one and the same permission

Nope - that specific setting control permissions to PROMOTE to social media.

Sharing is an option available via that dropdown on each content item - topic/post etc - and is available if Guests can access the content.

5 minutes ago, Giray said:

I saw that but did not understand. Does that mean that if I put a member in here, no one else can promote to our picks? In other words, 'everyone' can share to social, but only these 'members' can promote. Correct?

Nope. According to my screenshot, Admininstrator + the members you add will be able to promote to Our Picks.

18 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

To clarify the usage here

Promote to social media - This is a tool aimed at the site owner to give the ability to promote content to their social media page

Share to social media (and other places) - This is the tool for your users to use to share to their social media

We agree.

My problem is separating permissions to share to social media (by members) from their ability to promote to our picks. About to try again to see if I succeed.

I love you all, but I'm still getting no success.

As far as I can see, social media is tied to our picks list. See this image. This is where a member group is given permission to do 'both' social sharing and our picks. Once you check this box, there is no way to prevent a group from promoting an item to our picks list. If there is - a way to prevent that group from just promoting to our picks - I'd love to know where.

I just have a feeling these two are tied together for now.

Could contain: Page, Text

13 minutes ago, Giray said:

I just have a feeling these two are tied together for now.

Nope.

that setting controls PROMOTION of content to your site's social media.

If you want users to do that, crack on and give them permission to do so. But that is not what you want to do if you just want your users to be able to SHARE a link on their own social media via the sharing options.

Control over visibility of the various sharing options is via this area:

Could contain: Page, Text

Could contain: File, Webpage, Computer, Electronics, Pc, Page, Text

And finally...if the content is not viewable by a Guest then the sharing options won't be visible regardless of what you set in those permissions.

Edited by Nathan Explosion