Sporadic 403 Cloudfront Errors

We have been getting reports of members experiencing sporadic 403 errors when using the forum. These affect the user for a couple of minutes, during which time they are unable to access the board. It only seems to affect the individual user, not the board as a whole.

I experienced one myself this morning, have attached the error for you to see.

Be grateful if you could advise?Could contain: Page, Text

Edited by Dave MacDonald

Could you please let us know what the users were doing at the time which they encountered this? This is typically our firewall blocking the user for an action we deemed unsafe or suspicious. However, it could be in error so we want to double check what is happening.

19 hours ago, Jim M said:

Could you please let us know what the users were doing at the time which they encountered this? This is typically our firewall blocking the user for an action we deemed unsafe or suspicious. However, it could be in error so we want to double check what is happening.

Hi Jim,

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, it happened to me when I went into the reports section to look at a couple of reported posts.

Other users have said it's happened when they are just browsing the forum.

Seems to last for maybe a minute then the session returns to normal.

Very hard to re-create. I'm on the forum every day and it's only happened to me once.

User just reported that this happened to them just a few minutes ago if that helps at all.

User in question was "Rugster". Just browsing the forum.

Edited by Dave MacDonald

I just got the same error when I ran the upgrade process today. As you can imagine it raised my blood pressure somewhat 😬.

zmIeIyT.png

The site seems to be available now and running the upgrade process - fingers crossed it's nothing to do with the upgrade itself....

I got this page as well yesterday while working in the ACP. I was changing a setting across all user groups. After about 30 seconds the site would return again but it happened like, 4 times within a 5 minute window.

I figured it happened because I was moving along too fast(?), though that shouldn't be an issue. Just got that impression.

Edited by My Sharona

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Jim M said:

Please let us know what the activity is that you're performing and we can investigate.

We just upgraded last night, and today I received this screenshot from the user, who had to change the ISP to enter the forum....

Just now, BakuEdi said:

We just upgraded last night, and today I received this screenshot from the user, who had to change the ISP to enter the forum....

If they are receiving this without ever visiting your community, this would indicate that they are in a banned region which cannot access AWS. If they are receiving this sporadically, we would need to know what action they are performing as our firewall is blocking them.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

If they are receiving this without ever visiting your community, this would indicate that they are in a banned region which cannot access AWS. If they are receiving this sporadically, we would need to know what action they are performing as our firewall is blocking them.

Not banned at all, since he is daily active user, who has 36K posts in our community, the issue started after yesterday's upgrade.

And when he tried the different ISP he managed to avoid that 403 error....

1 minute ago, BakuEdi said:

Not banned at all, since he is daily active user, who has 36K posts in our community, the issue started after yesterday's upgrade.

And when he tried the different ISP he managed to avoid that 403 error....

This is not banned within your system but rather our infrastructure provider Amazon Web Services. If they are trying a different ISP, it may be that one is not blocked. 

Just now, Jim M said:

This is not banned within your system but rather our infrastructure provider Amazon Web Services. If they are trying a different ISP, it may be that one is not blocked. 

Thank you for the prompt reaction.

I will talk to him again, and come back if any questions.

Have a great day.