Merging one post into an existing thread

Go to solution Solved by Nathan Explosion,

I occasionally have members who will start a new thread to post their projects instead of replying to the existing thread for that purpose.

When I try to move/merge those posts into the thread, I am reminded that it will keep the URL/name of the post I am trying to move into the thread instead of just adding the post to it.

Is there a way to do that?

So if I have a thread that is something like /forums/topic/1433-quick-page-workshop-june-2023/ 
and the "orphan" post started a thread here /forums/topic/1451-my-results-lesson-3-4/ 
how do I get that "orphan"  post/thread into the thread that should be used?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Carole Asselin said:

So if I have an orphan post in a thread (say ABC) and want to move it into an existing thread (say XYZ), it should keep the XYZ URL? From the warning I was getting, it sounded like the other way around.

Little confused by what you mean here. Are you mistakenly attempting to merge two topics here? The warning you mention here would only happen when merging topics (not posts).

If you are attempting to split (what merging is for posts) a post into a new or existing topic, that warning would not exist because posts are accessed through the URL of the topic which they belong to.

The thing is that someone is mistakenly starting a new thread that has only one post instead of adding their post to the thread meant for that purpose. I have told her to copy her post in the designated thread, but either she can't figure it out, or it will happen to others in the future too. How can I move her "post" (which is alone in its own thread) into the "correct" thread?

• Solution
Marc Stridgen
This post was recognized by Marc Stridgen!

Nathan Explosion was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 5 points.

Option 1 - from the topic listing...when prompted after clicking the indicated icon, select the topic that you wish to keep (that would be the existing topic, in your case...not the new one) and then click Merge.

Could contain: Electronics, Hardware, File, Text

Option 2:

1. Go to the new topic
  2. Copy its URL from the address bar
  3. Go to the old topic

Could contain: Page, Text, File

When prompted, paste the copied URL into the provided field and click Merge.

51 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Option 2:

1. Go to the new topic
  2. Copy its URL from the address bar
  3. Go to the old topic

I see, I can do it in reverse from what I was doing. Strangely, it seems like the wrong order to "merge", but if that is the way to do it, I'll do it.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.