PWA documentation?

Clover13

36 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Is there anything you specifically have questions on? The setup can be found under ACP -> System -> Settings -> Web App. Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks @SeNioR- and @Jim M.  I was just looking for the details of how it was implemented and the respective changes to the user experience.  I think the link @SeNioR- provides explains a fair amount.  I'll set it up and give it a try to feel things out some more and follow-up with any questions.

So I have the AdminCP updated, and the PWA for the site installed on my iPhone.  Seems to be working OK so far, but one thing I notice that is immediately apparent and differs from a native app, is the lack of a swipe down refresh.  I can see it being confusing that you're on the PWA but it never gets updated automatically or with a swipe, you rather have to navigate specifically to a link or click the site logo at the top to re-navigate and reload the site.

39 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

It's another silly thing on Apple's behalf really. Android natively supports swiping down etc in a PWA

Actually I forgot this is how browsers work on iPhone.  So oddly, the browser supports swipe down refresh but the PWA can't.  That alone might be enough for members to not want to use it.  Their main gain would be the push notifications and having an "app like" look but not an "app like" feel.

I also notice I get push notifications on my iPhone, but when opening the PWA the notifications "hamburger" icon doesn't get updated with a numbered alert notification, which would provoke user interaction to review it.  Somewhat of an inconsistency between the push alerts being visible but both the active page (Activity Stream in my case) and notification menu icon/hamburger not being visible/updated.  I think that makes it feel awkward.  I'll keep tinkering and see how my "new" experience via the PWA adjusts as I get more used to it.

I do feel like whenever the PWA gets minimized and reopened it should automatically refresh because that's what you're going to need to do anyway to get the necessary updated context.  

Edited by Clover13