Missing Images

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with many of the pictures that are inside some of my older threads becoming unviewable.

This post, for example:

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/211811-brown-bass-tools-~-questions-answers/page/6/#comment-2722900

All of them are in the member's  'albums, they all loaded fine and don't exceed size limits. Yet they are no longer able to be viewed. 

These are all hosted on the same server (not hosted on a 3rd party).

As you can see, this is a post that's a few years old.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, the images there were not attached to that post and were attached to another item, which either has been removed or is private so inaccessible to all audiences. Due to this, it is recommended to always upload photos to the content you're posting them to.

3 minutes ago, bassangler said:

In other words, uploading to the Gallery and then linking to the image in a post is not recommended.  Is that correct?  Then why is that capability enabled? Seems like a recipe for unintended results exactly like this.

If you copy the image URL (which is a browser function, not a function in our software), this would not be uploading or including it via the system. If you use the "Insert Existing Attachment" this would not be copying the image URL as this uses the internal system to link this, akin to uploading directly to the content.

I checked with the member who alerted me to this issue, and he said,

My standard move has been "Insert Existing Attachment" either from one of my albums or 

something that already exists in my attachments (although that's a little limited space wise) 

I'll often go through both of them and delete old stuff to make room for new and up to just recently it's been working great.  Weird how it's just one pic and one pic there  . . .

I agree.  This does seem to be affected by images added by "Insert Existing Attachment" function.

No Sir.

Pics are going from visible in the thread to just an unusable link all on their own. I delete older pics in my attachments folder and albums to make room for new when needed. 

But the pics I delete are not the one in the current threads that are going MIA.

5 minutes ago, bassangler said:

I delete older pics in my attachments folder and albums to make room for new when needed. 

You shouldn’t do that. If you need to delete images at all, you should do it from the Invision Community software. 

9 minutes ago, bassangler said:

Pics are going from visible in the thread to just an unusable link all on their own

I put my money on “someone deleted it”. I don’t even allow my standard members to delete anything. It only calls for trouble. 

Again, he didn't delete them.  And now I'm finding this issue on other profiles too, from members that don't they can even delete anything.

Geeze....I've discovered several bugs in the past here that were confirmed, but each time I had to go through this huge "denial" process until some other person on these forums confirms they had the same issue on their system too.  THEN somebody finally believes me.

Why does it have to be so difficult to look into an issue?  Why blame the messenger?

No need to answer, it's rhetorical/rant.

Back to the issue at hand.

2 hours ago, bassangler said:

No Sir.

Pics are going from visible in the thread to just an unusable link all on their own. I delete older pics in my attachments folder and albums to make room for new when needed. 

But the pics I delete are not the one in the current threads that are going MIA.

FWIW I'm missing images I know weren't deleted by the member who posted them.  My guess is something got messed up in the transfer to S3 in my case.  In retrospect I should have done image file counts and compared to S3 object counts after the transfer and kept a backup to restore whatever I needed.  Now it's too late but fortunately not many instances of missing images.  

9 hours ago, Clover13 said:

FWIW I'm missing images I know weren't deleted by the member who posted them.  My guess is something got messed up in the transfer to S3 in my case.  In retrospect I should have done image file counts and compared to S3 object counts after the transfer and kept a backup to restore whatever I needed.  Now it's too late but fortunately not many instances of missing images.  

If you are doing a file move, then yes indeed its likely related to that, and not any other function.

14 hours ago, bassangler said:

Again, he didn't delete them.  And now I'm finding this issue on other profiles too, from members that don't they can even delete anything.

Geeze....I've discovered several bugs in the past here that were confirmed, but each time I had to go through this huge "denial" process until some other person on these forums confirms they had the same issue on their system too.  THEN somebody finally believes me.

Why does it have to be so difficult to look into an issue?  Why blame the messenger?

No need to answer, it's rhetorical/rant.

Back to the issue at hand.

The  reality is, there isnt any way for images to go missing on their own. The only way this can happen is if the source itself is deleted. If you can restore a backup somewhere, we can certainly take a look at that and confirm that this is the case, but in all honesty you are probably chasing an issue around that is simply going to be a user issue, not one on the platform.

Nope, no file moves.  Haven't done anything new or different.

From the member:

Latest update

It now appears that EVERY picture I've posted in Every thread I've posted

the photos are gone.  Just a useless link left behind.

All these pic are still in my albums but are gone from the threads.

There's a LOT of time & effort invested in these threads and now they are pretty much toast. 

I'm bumming pretty hard here.

15 hours ago, bassangler said:

Nope, no file moves.  Haven't done anything new or different.

From the member:

Not to downplay what is happening but I want to set the stage here - looking at their attachments, I am not seeing that "every" picture is gone. I am actually not finding any which are under attachments that are gone. There are several in there which are cross-linked using "Insert Existing Attachment" and those are still showing. 

As the user stated that they delete images, I would ask them to find what they uploaded in gallery with a broken image in a post. Sometimes people don't realize that if they delete the original item, it will delete everything. So, if the original image was uploaded to gallery and they wanted to delete that but keep the post, that's not possible.

The second reason for doing this would be allow us to find the core image and the linked image because right now, I've done a few searches and can't find the core image in Gallery for this user. This way we can investigate further what happened if the above scenario is false.

• 3 weeks later...