Pages sidebar block layout templates?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I find myself using the same Pages sidebar blocks on many pages and was wondering if there is a way to template it in one place and then simply add it as a single block on any page or even just default any page that isn't customized to use it?

For example, say I have 10 sidebar blocks and 20 pages I want them on, I have to add 200 blocks manually.  I'd prefer to set this as a default in one place and all pages just inherit it but you can still go in and customize any of them if you desire.

What are you using these pages for? 

I really only use “stand-alone” pages for unique pages. As soon as I need a repetitive design (including blocks), I switch to Pages databases. Then I have unlimited “pages” (as database record) using the same page layout with the same blocks. 

2 hours ago, opentype said:

What are you using these pages for? 

I really only use “stand-alone” pages for unique pages. As soon as I need a repetitive design (including blocks), I switch to Pages databases. Then I have unlimited “pages” (as database record) using the same page layout with the same blocks. 

Say I want Activity Stream view, Forums view, Forum Topic view, Leaderboard, Events, etc all to have a common set of blocks, I have to go in and customize each individually and ensure there's consistency.  If I add or remove a block I have to manually go through all of them.  And if I have several sites then multiply it by N.  If I add a new page or new app then I have to go in at every level of the hierarchy and add them manually there too.  

Agree on DB driven Pages you have common templating you can apply.  I guess this is the same in principle except it's for those apps outside of Pages. 

Edited by Clover13

Sure, for the whole suite, a “global” option could make sense once the layout containers are revamped someday. On the other hand: it will probably just reverse the problem. Then people will complain and say: I added a global sidebar/block and now I have all these places where something doesn’t make sense and I now I have to manually suppress it (if that is even supported). 

Edited by opentype

42 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

@Clover13

Global block...

Create a custom HTML block, add other blocks in using the {block='myblock'} logic and then drag the custom block into place.

So this works with the exception of it being a single list element rather than each block being a list element.  Will play around with the CSS and see if I can get it to look the same.

Edited by Clover13